Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Lest we forget

Gark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I celebrated after the Ipswich game. There was no way, absolutely no possible way; that Oldham would beat Villa. A win for them would have kept them a point behind the Mancs. It was an inconceivable result.

By the final game, it was more a case of hoping that Oldham ballsed it up than us managing to save ourselves. The To-ing and fro-ing of the goals in Oldham'game were met with cheers and groans. This was a time when people with radios were keepers of information and false rumours of goals would spread through the crowd. It was a horrible afternoon.

This was my first relegation. It was also the worst.

Last edited by Gark Moldberg; 24-04-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 24-04-2018, 08:55 AM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
That Arsenal team wasn't as good as many of the Wengers teams of later years but it was brilliantly solid & extremely ruthless - There was no way especially if Wright played they wouldn't win easily. I guess a small chance Soton might get something at Oldham but that felt unlikely as well - They didn't turn up if memory correct except Matt le Tissier who in hindsight was on a mission and one more goal and we would have been safe.
Old 24-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
It was Calamity James wot did for us. A truly shocking goalkeeping performance at Boundary Park. And an Oldham player on purpose handled in the box (upper arm) when 4-3 up in the last minute v Soton. Ref three yards away, clear view, waved play on.

Still, we got away with that Hopkin handball for Dougie's goal v Stockport.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 24-04-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 24-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Awful relegation to suffer, beaten only by the Charlton relegation. I remember so well each of the Oldham games and thinking they won’t win that one, but somehow they did. I suspect whilst our fans remember that season as one of the worst in our history I Oldham fans will remember it with joy. That is the nature of football.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:05 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
I wonder who made the decision to do 'that' lap of honour.
It wasn't to celebrate staying up it was just our last home game of the season but the mood was celebratory as we had just won and looked like we were sitting pretty.
It was also back in the day when a lap of honour happened straight after the final whistle when spirits were high rather than completely killing the moment by disappearing down the tunnel for twenty minutes before coming out wearing flip flops holding their kids.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Interesting to note that Sheffield United who were below us won their last two games.
Sheffield Utd had a game on the Tues night, at Everton, before we and Oldham played on the Wednesday.
It was live on Sky and I remember watching in horror, as Everton, in mid table, didn't seemed to give a toss and rolled over 2-0 making Sheff Utd safe.
Graeme Souness seemed to have developed a pathological hatred of Palace, after we drawn at Anfield in the League Cup, being the only person in the ground, who accused us of kicking L'Pool of the Park. So it was no suprise they lost to Oldham.
We actually got a good point at top half Man C, but I remember seeing their boss, at the time, Peter Reid say something like 'no offence to Palace, but we would prefer to travel to local rivals than have to go all the way down to South London, next season'.
I really then began to think the fates were conspiring against us.
So no suprise as to what happened the following Saturday. TBF, Soton gave it a good go at Oldham - Think they were 4-1 down at one stage and had Oldham hanging on at the end. On the day itself, me and another Palace mate, didn't really want to know what was going on, so took our kids to play Footie at Beddington Park. And I have never seen any footage on TV of how the day panned out, except Wright's first goal.
What made it worse was that I'm sure George Graham said he didn't want to put a strong side out, because they had an FA Cup Final coming up, but Oldham had started bleating about this, before the game and he had pressure put on him, from the authorities.
Ironic really that a year later, Oldham went down and we blazed straight back up !
Old 24-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
At the end of the Ipswich game, I thought we were safe.

When Oldham beat Villa the next day, I was sure we were going down.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 24-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Interesting to note that Sheffield United who were below us won their last two games.
Yes; I have no memory of that at all.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 24-04-2018, 09:46 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
So, following our win over Ipswich (as has been frequently mentioned) there was a lap of honour.
I've always thought that this is a bit misleading - Palace have done a lap of honour/appreciation after the last home game of the season for as long as I can remember. This was our last home game.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
The only thing I remember about the game was coming home from it with my dad and crying on the tube and being consoled by a couple of Arsenal fans who told me we'd come straight back up.

I think that's partially why I don't mind them as a team. My earliest memory of their fans was positive, so it stuck with me.
They weren't quite as lovely to adults, quite a few arrogant tossers gloating. Which was a bit of an error on their part. The only entertaining thing about th eday.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:51 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Let me be clear - I have absolutely no serious doubt that Palace will be fine this year.
I am pleased that you have "absolutely" no "serious doubt".

Time does affect the memory - I have no recollection of the midweek City game. I thought we were eight points ahead, with Oldham having two games in hand on us - their Sunday game and the midweek game.

As for the final game of the season, I was at a wedding reception, just south of Godstone - and kept popping out to my car to get a radio update. The wedding was of two very good fiends (I was an usher), but the football result definitely cast a shadow over the day for me - not helped by a number of friends helpfully pointing out the situation ...
Old 24-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
They weren't quite as lovely to adults, quite a few arrogant tossers gloating. Which was a bit of an error on their part. The only entertaining thing about th eday.
I used to work with a few Arsenal fans at work and a couple of them, gloated to such an extent, I fell out with them a bit, which was a bit childish, on my part !
Old 24-04-2018, 09:53 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:

So, what are your memories of that awful Season end? [/img]
We couldn't get tickets in the away end at Arsenal as it sold out really quickly so we went in the West Stand Upper - quite a few Palace were in there. The players were shocking that day - Arsenal had the FA Cup Final the next week and were playing in second gear, but they still thrashed us. It was apparent pretty early on that the only way we would stay up was if Oldham didn't win. I remember the Arsenal fans around us looking shocked as we shouted abuse at the Palace players for most of the second half - talk about going down without a fight.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:57 AM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Yep gutless and Coppell god that he is had lost focus that season.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Once a Mascot

Palaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceand30 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
That Arsenal team wasn't as good as many of the Wengers teams of later years but it was brilliantly solid & extremely ruthless - There was no way especially if Wright played they wouldn't win easily. I guess a small chance Soton might get something at Oldham but that felt unlikely as well - They didn't turn up if memory correct except Matt le Tissier who in hindsight was on a mission and one more goal and we would have been safe.
Southampton were appalling that season. Somehow we contrived to lose twice to them. Should have been them. A certain Iain Dowie scored twice at selhurst in September 1992. The game was a travesty. We absolutely dominated, missing a hatful and lost 1-2.

Couldn't believe when we signed Dowie a few years later.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Even more galling...look at the team for the Arsenal game. Pretty much the same apart from Wright, Bright and Salako that came third only 24 months earlier. How the fvckity fvck did we drop so much so quickly?

Nigel Martyn
John Humphrey
Eric Young
Richard Shaw
Gareth Southgate
Andy Thorn
Eddie McGoldrick
Simon Rodger
Geoff Thomas
Chris Armstrong
Paul A Williams
Old 24-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Even more galling...look at the team for the Arsenal game. Pretty much the same apart from Wright, Bright and Salako that came third only 24 months earlier. How the fvckity fvck did we drop so much so quickly?

Nigel Martyn
John Humphrey
Eric Young
Richard Shaw
Gareth Southgate
Andy Thorn
Eddie McGoldrick
Simon Rodger
Geoff Thomas
Chris Armstrong
Paul A Williams
Got 49 pts from 42 games TBF. The equiv from 38 games is about 44 pts. That total will get you in the top half of the table, this season !
Old 24-04-2018, 10:15 AM

KP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I saw the palace Ipswich game in the bright sunshine and it was a great performance no way did i think we had a problem we crushed Ipswich. Then final game i listened on the radio as we lost away to Arsenal and I remember Geoff Thomas almost in tears in an interview after the match and I don't think I've been as gutted following palace in all the years since.
Old 24-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Yep gutless and Coppell god that he is had lost focus that season.
Not sure that's fair on Coppell. We started the season badly, but had turned it around and only went down because of freak circumstances (and despite a record high points total).

We were always going to lose to Arsenal last game of the season. It was the only league game at Highbury in that top flight spell where we didn't let in 4!

Old 24-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Borderline lunacy

The most gutting four moments in my time as a Palace fan have been:

Losing the Cup Final Replay
Ian Wright leaving
1993 relegation
Losing the Cup Final.