Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 12-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Although Cunnie (behave!) is originally from LA, I like to think he must have spent some time in the South and picked up all the good stuff via osmosis

Old 12-05-2020, 03:55 PM
Soul Survivor

Caisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaisterman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sad to see the passing of Betty Wright. R.I.P Betty.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I’d like to earnestly recommend this compilation, 75 songs, lovingly compiled and mastered with a 72 page book. Ace Records never get it wrong.
Thanks for the heads up on Ace. Just ordered The Nips LP which is astonishing value.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:49 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Ace. Just ordered The Nips LP which is astonishing value.
You will love it, I suspect that it will be right up your street. They reformed for a one off gig at The 100 Club about ten years ago, (Croydon’s) Johnny Moped was also on the bill, a great night. There is a very funny video on YouTube of Shane and Johnny Moped backstage, which I will try and find for you.
Old 16-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caisterman View Post
Sad to see the passing of Betty Wright. R.I.P Betty.
Blimey

Is someone keeping count as to how many of these stars are taking themselves off to the Big House?

Betty Wright - emotional honesty, quiet integrity. Rest easy dear girl.

Old 25-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
On the Little Richard RIP thread there is a Guardian obit(thanks West Country Boy) this song is mentioned, definitely Southern Soul.

Great song. Very reminiscent of that master of the lost art of talking in songs, Solomon Burke:

Old 25-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Mojo gave away a decent Southern Soul compilation 15 years ago: To view the link you have to Register or Login
I've got that, some great stuff on it.
Old 25-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Have some Percy Sledge:

Old 25-05-2020, 07:35 PM
Well nobody's perfect

northernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenorthernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I love this from 1958. Tahell Slim with Wildcat Tamer.

link To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by northernsouler; 25-05-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 26-05-2020, 01:13 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
This documentary in parts should keep you busy...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

The birth of soul starting with Ray Charles....and his influences...

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 26-05-2020, 06:59 AM
Pass me the Vongole

DANGERMOUSE; Very reminiscent of that master of the lost art of talking in songs, Solomon Burke:

DM, That man had some pipes! Loved his singing and 'rapping' in the 50/60's and by the time we got to the turn of the century, his voice was properly, unbelievably 'seasoned'.

His 'comeback' album Dont give up on me, is a collection of superb songs delivered straight from the heart, starting with the title track.

This track though is my favourite

Old 26-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Donovani View Post
DANGERMOUSE; Very reminiscent of that master of the lost art of talking in songs, Solomon Burke:

DM, That man had some pipes! Loved his singing and 'rapping' in the 50/60's and by the time we got to the turn of the century, his voice was properly, unbelievably 'seasoned'.

His 'comeback' album Dont give up on me, is a collection of superb songs delivered straight from the heart, starting with the title track.

This track though is my favourite

I love that record. Standout for me is Nick Lowe's The Other Side of the Coin.
Old 28-05-2020, 06:10 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

I remember when he was on Jools Holland years back. When I first caught a glimpse of how fat he was I feared the worst... but he was brilliant - even sitting down!

Old 28-05-2020, 10:22 PM

Lazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLazarus came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Donovani View Post
The incomparable....

Put yer foot on the rock why dontcha

That is frigging superb. Never heard this before. Thank you!
Old 29-05-2020, 03:13 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That is frigging superb. Never heard this before. Thank you!
Pleasure

I too find stuff in the music forum that makes you take an involuntary sharp intake of breath.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Although not strictly speaking from the South, she did spend some time down there at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, recording with the Swampers.... and it shows.

Similar delivery to Solomon Burke if yuh get mi.

Listen to her world-weary but excellent cover of a Dylan classic

Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Three pages in, and no Irma Thomas? Time to remedy that, I feel….. saw her six years ago in Madrid and she put on one hell of a show, pipes largely undimmed by the fifty years which had passed since her first hit, covered by the Stones - Time is on My Side. Here she is with Allen Toussaint, apparently the last time they played together:

Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Syl Johnson a Mississippi man found himself cast largely in the shadow of Al Green. Boy could sing though.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Another sister who spent time down in Memphis on Willie Mitchell's Hi Records label, recording some absolute belters like this

Sadly she took ill some years ago and no longer performs, more's the pity

Old 02-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Hailing from South Carolina this chick knew the score, and sang about it with a passion