Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:08 PM

Eagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One or two rumours from Celtic fans on twitter in the last 30 minutes that Eddie Howe to Celtic off.

Have they been gazumped by us?
If we really want him he'll come to us.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but why over the years has Hodgson never talked about wanting to add more creativity to midfield? (Or Atleast I can’t recall much of that). I’ve always found it a bit bizarre that often when we had a bad result he would talk about our inability to take chances and that we needed more clinical strikers. The last couple of seasons it’s seemed obvious to most that we actually create very little and that is the real problem. There have even been interviews where Roy has seemed to insist that we are creating chances when we clearly aren’t. I think this has led us to this odd situation where we have stacked up strikers with £40m worth in Batshuayi and Mateta sitting on the bench. All the while in the background we acquired Max Meyer a centre midfielder, who we paid a kings ransom to and played him wide and the likes of Camarasa who never got a league start.

I’d like our next manager to be someone who prioritises improving the centre of our midfield and is looking to move to a system that creates more chances. If Roy stays on I’m hoping he won’t just be talking about centre backs and centre forwards this summer.
He has regularly talked politely about needing to ‘strengthen the group’. He has never been one to loudmouth it and has always toed the party line at clubs. Not like Allardyce who manages by loud hailer and interviews as he bullies his board into submission.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:36 PM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
He has regularly talked politely about needing to ‘strengthen the group’. He has never been one to loudmouth it and has always toed the party line at clubs. Not like Allardyce who manages by loud hailer and interviews as he bullies his board into submission.
I agree Roy is not one to bully the board. I mean more his talk about targets. He has in the past talked regularly about wanting to add strikers and centre backs when he felt it was an issue. I might be wrong but I don’t think he has talked about creativity or central midfielders. I think that is quite reflective of the direction we have been heading the last couple of years. Keep it tight, hope a forward player is clinical or creates a bit of magic. Not too much talk about creating more opportunities.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:53 PM

Gyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGyro1780 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Give him good creative players, and you’ll get good football, as he proved at Fulham.
He's got good creative players already & we are soooo dull & boring to watch.
If Roy was 10 years younger... You've gotta be joking surely? I can't take another season with Roy in charge.

Dyche would be my choice.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:01 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but why over the years has Hodgson never talked about wanting to add more creativity to midfield? (Or Atleast I can’t recall much of that). I’ve always found it a bit bizarre that often when we had a bad result he would talk about our inability to take chances and that we needed more clinical strikers. The last couple of seasons it’s seemed obvious to most that we actually create very little and that is the real problem. There have even been interviews where Roy has seemed to insist that we are creating chances when we clearly aren’t. I think this has led us to this odd situation where we have stacked up strikers with £40m worth in Batshuayi and Mateta sitting on the bench. All the while in the background we acquired Max Meyer a centre midfielder, who we paid a kings ransom to and played him wide and the likes of Camarasa who never got a league start.

I’d like our next manager to be someone who prioritises improving the centre of our midfield and is looking to move to a system that creates more chances. If Roy stays on I’m hoping he won’t just be talking about centre backs and centre forwards this summer.
Thank you. More articulate than I was! Spot on. Hodgson doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:04 PM

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Again, Jairo played his best stuff at Ajax at left back, he was not a good or trusted midfielder in even the Eredevisie. Blaming Hodgson for him not being an effective ‘quarterback’ now is bizzare.

Mcarthur’s prem record assist season by a huge distance was under Hodgson, btw! But look at his stats at Wigan and under Pardew etc. Ranges from 0-3 assists per season.

If Roy doesn’t want creative central midfielders, why did he start Cabaye every week? Furthermore, you say that like it’s an inherently flawed strategy to not rely on central midfielders for creativity. It’s worked for Klopp! Of course we’re not Liverpool, but it’s a strategy that can work, as Roy proved at Fulham. He just needs the players.
Spot on. FWIW I’m not sure how creative Cabaye was for us either, certainly in terms of goals/assists - he was different and more attacking for Newcastle. I don’t see Jairo as creative, being technically good doesn’t make you a creative player! Arguably Milivojevic is our most creative midfielder because although his passing is inconsistent he is capable of passing through the lines.

Equally, you don’t have to create just through the centre of midfield, but apart from the technically limited Schlupp we don’t have anyone who creates in terms of passes or goals/assists in the final third on a regular basis either. Arguably RLC is far more creative than any of our current wide midfielders. Other than the technically limited Schlupp we don’t have any pace to carry us up the pitch - we used to have Townsend (who has now lost his pace) and a younger Zaha. Before that, Bolasie.

We need a massive overhaul in terms of playing personnel or a change in formation/tactics. Roy has done well but even he will need to freshen things up if he stays at the helm next season.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM

palace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is herepalace_burger Sam the man is here
What happens if Burnley are relegated
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Black View Post
One or two rumours from Celtic fans on twitter in the last 30 minutes that Eddie Howe to Celtic off.

Probably just realised how far Glasgow is from the south of England
Old 04-04-2021, 06:29 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Spot on. FWIW I’m not sure how creative Cabaye was for us either, certainly in terms of goals/assists - he was different and more attacking for Newcastle. I don’t see Jairo as creative, being technically good doesn’t make you a creative player! Arguably Milivojevic is our most creative midfielder because although his passing is inconsistent he is capable of passing through the lines.

Equally, you don’t have to create just through the centre of midfield, but apart from the technically limited Schlupp we don’t have anyone who creates in terms of passes or goals/assists in the final third on a regular basis either. Arguably RLC is far more creative than any of our current wide midfielders. Other than the technically limited Schlupp we don’t have any pace to carry us up the pitch - we used to have Townsend (who has now lost his pace) and a younger Zaha. Before that, Bolasie.

We need a massive overhaul in terms of playing personnel or a change in formation/tactics. Roy has done well but even he will need to freshen things up if he stays at the helm next season.
Yep.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:41 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:

Twitter!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:42 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Just looked at couple of their message boards , nothing of note apart from one comment about a chap on twitter who regularly posts just to get attention .
I hope it is right though as i still feel Howe is a good option , but most on Celtic Forums expect announcement in a few days

Last edited by exiledeagle; 04-04-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:47 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Agree with most of this but these days I simply don’t believe ‘building something for the long term’ has much to do with a Manager these days. They don’t stick around long at Palace and Hodgson 4 year tenure stands out. With hindsight, we missed the opportunity to invest when he arrived 4 years ago to take advantage of stability but **** happens. The odds of another long term Manager any times soon with the challenges ahead next season seems low to me.

We seem to have fallen into a DOF structure due to the FDB fiasco and DF’s timely ‘cup of coffee’ with SP was the extent of the selection process. Despite that, he is now the one that defines the long term I think.

The Manager has to deal with the hand dealt and takes the rap or credit more often than the DOF from what I can see. The hand dealt each year so far has been worse than the year before. We just have to hope whoever is in charge gets the result of the 4 years worth of planning and that it’s been worth the wait.
I’d usually agree with you on the length of time a manager spends at a club. But in all fairness the three I suggested, Howe, Wilder and Dyche have all stuck their jobs out for a long period of time with proven growth and success. I wouldn’t see any of them getting poached anytime soon even with a bit of success. All they need to do is keep us afloat and they’ll be in with a job.

Clinton Morrison
Old 04-04-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCPFC View Post
I’d usually agree with you on the length of time a manager spends at a club. But in all fairness the three I suggested, Howe, Wilder and Dyche have all stuck their jobs out for a long period of time with proven growth and success. I wouldn’t see any of them getting poached anytime soon even with a bit of success. All they need to do is keep us afloat and they’ll be in with a job.
I was thinking more of them being sacked rather than poached which is usually the way Managers leave (Palace and other clubs).
Old 04-04-2021, 07:02 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro1780 View Post
He's got good creative players already & we are soooo dull & boring to watch.
If Roy was 10 years younger... You've gotta be joking surely? I can't take another season with Roy in charge.

Dyche would be my choice.

Hmmm...

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 04-04-2021, 07:39 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
Just looked at couple of their message boards , nothing of note apart from one comment about a chap on twitter who regularly posts just to get attention .
I hope it is right though as i still feel Howe is a good option , but most on Celtic Forums expect announcement in a few days
According to Celtic message boards , Howe is a pundit on Bein Sports for Man Utd game tonight
Old 04-04-2021, 07:48 PM

Montyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMontyburns76 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
According to Celtic message boards , Howe is a pundit on Bein Sports for Man Utd game tonight
That must mean he’s going to be the next moan Utd manger lol
Old 04-04-2021, 07:51 PM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
I'm not saying he was signed for that reason. As far as I recall he was signed as a ball playing centre back and often performed a kind of sweeper role for Ajax? Anyway, we are going round in circles. Jairo offers creativity for me in the right system, and Roy is certainly not cultivating his natural footballing instinct and desire to get on the ball.

To be clear, I'm not and never have been complaining about success / league position. Just wanting, or looking like we occasionally want to do a goal would be good.

The frustrating thing is we have seen some decent performances, but it is on in every 5 games where we show any intent.
Are you talking about the Jairo who plays for us, I have seen every game he has played and the best was against City in the 0-0 about 3 years ago. He isnt consistant enough and certainly not a creative midfielder or a quarterback! In the Premier, he is average at best, certainly not a game changer, wouldnt miss him if he doesnt play, Schlupp for example is missed if he doesnt play, but I wouldnt regard him as a creative midfielder, just strong on the ball and direct.
Regarding Roy not playing creative players, why were Cabaye and RLC in his teams.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:57 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Howe to Celtic and Dyche to Palace in a years time when he is out of contract.

I think Roy will stay on for another year.

Think Howe would fail at Palace but Dyche would be good but can't see us paying £5 Million to get him 1 year early.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:32 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
Are you talking about the Jairo who plays for us, I have seen every game he has played and the best was against City in the 0-0 about 3 years ago. He isnt consistant enough and certainly not a creative midfielder or a quarterback! In the Premier, he is average at best, certainly not a game changer, wouldnt miss him if he doesnt play, Schlupp for example is missed if he doesnt play, but I wouldnt regard him as a creative midfielder, just strong on the ball and direct.
Regarding Roy not playing creative players, why were Cabaye and RLC in his teams.
Schlupp is missed far more than Jairo in Roy's system, granted. Jairo is coached to ignore his instincts under Roy. Roy doesn't want central midfielders to be on the ball, dictating play.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
This is verging on satire at this point, I’m afraid.