Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:22 PM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Wilder's record goes much beyond the last 38 games but, if you look at Howe's last 38 games it isn't much better, 9 wins and 6 draws for 33 points (not strictly true due to cup games)

Dyche has 13 wins and 9 draws for 58 points (not strictly true due to cup games) and Fonseca has 23 wins and 6 draws for 75 points.

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old 08-04-2021, 01:27 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Who would you like, Gonzo?
I think all have weaknesses which is why they are a possibility for us.

Keeping Roy we know cannot be long term and in terms of style it has been hard to watch

Dyche might be more of the same style wise and it would be interesting to know if Burnley play as they do because that is how Dyche wants to play the game, or with the players/resources he has that is the way he feels they have the best chance. They usually buy defenders cos they are usually cheaper. Think their record fee paid is for a defender in Gibson and that was £15m.

Howe is the opposite, and has shown no sign of organising a good defence but his teams are likely to score goals and entertain a bit more. Despite the Russians spending a lot of money will he have a better quality of player generally at Palace and therefore do a little bit better? (Same for Dyche above)

Wilder is the weakest link of the lot. Yes he got a team up from League 1 to the PL, which is less than Howe did with Bournemouth, but after a promising start his team was poor. It was a poor end to last season from a promising position and one of the worst starts in PL history this season. Did his team just get found out when their style was worked out? Didn't seem able to adapt and grind out points.

As generally a more risk accepting person I would out of those 4 probably go for Howe but not sold on him and wonder if we might see some other options enter the fray like Fonseca who I know nothing about.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:30 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
Wilder's record goes much beyond the last 38 games but, if you look at Howe's last 38 games it isn't much better, 9 wins and 6 draws for 33 points (not strictly true due to cup games)

Dyche has 13 wins and 9 draws for 58 points (not strictly true due to cup games) and Fonseca has 23 wins and 6 draws for 75 points.
Howe's last 38 games was the season he got relegated, we can very easily see that was 9 wins 7 draw and 34 points. Ended up being 1 point and 1 goal scored short of good enough to stay up.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:34 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post

Keeping Roy we know cannot be long term and in terms of style it has been hard to watch

Dyche might be more of the same style wise and it would be interesting to know if Burnley play as they do because that is how Dyche wants to play the game, or with the players/resources he has that is the way he feels they have the best chance. They usually buy defenders cos they are usually cheaper. Think their record fee paid is for a defender in Gibson and that was £15m.

Howe is the opposite, and has shown no sign of organising a good defence but his teams are likely to score goals and entertain a bit more. Despite the Russians spending a lot of money will he have a better quality of player generally at Palace and therefore do a little bit better? (Same for Dyche above)

Wilder is the weakest link of the lot. Yes he got a team up from League 1 to the PL, which is less than Howe did with Bournemouth, but after a promising start his team was poor. It was a poor end to last season from a promising position and one of the worst starts in PL history this season. Did his team just get found out when their style was worked out? Didn't seem able to adapt and grind out points.

As generally a more risk accepting person I would out of those 4 probably go for Howe but not sold on him and wonder if we might see some other options enter the fray like Fonseca who I know nothing about.
I really don't think that's fair, player for player he's had much worse goalkeepers and defenders than say Roy or Dyche have had to work with.

You don't take a team from League 2 to the Premier League and keep them there for 4 years without being able to organise a defence.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:01 PM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Howe's last 38 games was the season he got relegated, we can very easily see that was 9 wins 7 draw and 34 points. Ended up being 1 point and 1 goal scored short of good enough to stay up.
I wasn't looking at the season as such I was looking at games. So it included Cup games as well rather than just the league season.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
I really don't think that's fair, player for player he's had much worse goalkeepers and defenders than say Roy or Dyche have had to work with.

You don't take a team from League 2 to the Premier League and keep them there for 4 years without being able to organise a defence.
No you have your owners break the financial rules to get you there.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:

Your point re Dyche also applies to Roy of course.

I must be alone on this but I have never found Bournemouth a great attacking side due to their football style which to me was tidy, organised and based on passing the opposition to death until something 'broke'. This is often referenced on here as if they play some sort of exciting brand of attacking football. It was otherwise pretty ordinary. They had Wilson at CF who is a very good PL striker who when fit and in form is a real handful. As unpopular as Fraser maybe now, he was brilliant at getting them from the halfway line to deliver crosses to fee Wilson. That combo was very effective, particularly on the break. Without Wilson it was a struggle to watch because it was largely toothless once teams had got their style.

It wasn't ultra defensive but neither was it exciting or attacking. For the most part it was a bit tedious for me. CARE - I am not trying to compare it to Palace this season but to the PL generally. Decent spine to the team but they failed to patch the gaps in their squad and eventually paid the price. (We might look the same without a super summer I guess). Someone at the club has no idea what a good keeper looks like BTW.

Like you I don't know who is a good option. Just waiting to see what unfolds. Celtic haven't announced anything yet which is a slight surprise and so maybe Howe is still in play. I can't get excited about any of them really. More interested in what happens in the transfer market because that seems more critical than the Manager choice right now.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 PM

dougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Edgar Davids for me.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:46 AM

Penstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPenstone Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie87 View Post
Edgar Davids for me.
This isn't the transfer rumour thread
Old 09-04-2021, 04:56 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_child View Post
If that happens we’ll do well to sell 2k season tickets.
Tickets selling well at the moment...And you call me a dickhead. Stick to the JD and girls, Bruce Lee.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:13 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
The people want 1 more year of Royball. Give the football world what it needs Parish - extend Roy’s contract. Do you want to be the chairman who exited a legendary Palace manager before he wanted to go.

Announce the extension.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32 AM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
Maybe Roy doesn't want another year.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:35 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfcfan1 View Post
Maybe Roy doesn't want another year.
If that is the case, I hope he enjoys his retirement. Roy isnít the sort of man to walk away when we need him though. He is not a Pulis, BFS, Bruce or Freedman - managers who all walked out.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:52 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Might have helped if he could have motivated his team to beat a ten man Palace team that season, instead of limply losing. I said to that day, that was the worst performance I've seen from a prem team since we came up. They were shocking and he looked completely lost in the interviews. This was only around December time too I think. He's one of those that when it starts to go wrong he can't turn it around (like pardew). Roy has proved time and time again that a run of bad results leads to a run of good results
Old 09-04-2021, 06:55 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Apart from a few people who have never really taken to him, I think the majority would be happy for Roy to stay on if he played how we did against Everton more often. We were exciting to watch, the players looked like they enjoyed themselves and we didn't look any worse, on balance, than we usually do with the tight defensive set-up. I wonder if Everton gave us more space in the middle than we'd usually have though?

One thing I do know is, it would be a sorry affair if Roy left us at Anfield with no fans to send him off.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:05 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Apart from a few people who have never really taken to him, I think the majority would be happy for Roy to stay on if he played how we did against Everton more often. We were exciting to watch, the players looked like they enjoyed themselves and we didn't look any worse, on balance, than we usually do with the tight defensive set-up. I wonder if Everton gave us more space in the middle than we'd usually have though?

One thing I do know is, it would be a sorry affair if Roy left us at Anfield with no fans to send him off.
I get the point but defensively it was pretty dire. They could quite reasonably have scored 5 or 6! They had what 4 one on ones? Everton actually had better chances than Liverpool did when they smashed us. We looked a bit better going forward at times but didn't create too much. It wasn't as good as some on here seem to suggest
Old 09-04-2021, 07:14 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
I get the point but defensively it was pretty dire. They could quite reasonably have scored 5 or 6! They had what 4 one on ones? Everton actually had better chances than Liverpool did when they smashed us. We looked a bit better going forward at times but didn't create too much. It wasn't as good as some on here seem to suggest
Our final ball was lacking massively. We did all the hard work but continually dropped the bollock when it matters. The same could be said about them tbf, but it was their strikers (and Guaita heroics) that buggered them up. I think Ancelotti was clever in that he knew our defence was slow (Cahill) and sometimes caught out (Kouyate) so playing the long direct ball was always going to cause us problems. Truth told, I think that Everton squad would've caused us just as many problems if we sat back and let them pick away, this way we actually had a chance of scoring like our stats proved. We could just as easily have won that game imo.

I just feel it all balanced out, and also think if Tomkins were playing they'd have had less chances (no disrespect to K & C).
Old 09-04-2021, 08:01 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
Reading press reports in Scotland and their message boards , it does sound that have had talks . I believe Celtic are in process of changing Chairman . Also sounds like Howe wants to bring in his DOF , Richard Hughes which is an issue at moment . Howe has also apparently said that he wants the whole of this season off .
If skill and pace is our indentity with good organistion, im not sure Howe is the person for the job. That might just be wasting what we have wilf, jp, eze, scluppie, etc. Just need a midfield that can pass better, link with front and be more progressive and a quicker central defender.

Arguably Dyche with a more direct style (although his team is underestimated about thefootball it plays) is more suited.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:17 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:

That or the £210million they spent.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:

He bought those goalkeepers and defenders....