Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:08 AM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Windows Laptop recommendation 2021 - Under 300

Unfortunately this is a nasty budget area but it's all is available. I think the key thing here is to try and get 8Gb RAM (pretty sure windows is a dog on 4Gb?) and at least a year of MS Office too. HD size does not matter, Chromebooks out.

I'm not convinced this is possible tbh but if you can help please post.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You should be able to get this for 350 quid in the UK I reckon.

It works really well. Using it right now. I looked for ages and couldn't find anything close to this. Great user reviews as well.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 12-01-2021, 07:32 AM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
If you are prepared to go second hand and want a small laptop the Thinkpad x240, x250 are available at that price range. They are great little laptops.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:34 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
A quick look on Amazon turns up a handful of choices at around 250 which would leave some money for the office software but if you want more RAM you are trading off a decent processor against that which may make some of the 4GB machines better. We have a couple of laptops running Windoze in 4GB, one of them was an HP which was appallingly slow out of the box but had lots of HP bloatware installed; when I hosed the drive and reinstalled Windoze it was fine. Depends what you want to do with it though.

Also worth pointing out that at this price point Windoze and Office are taking up a sizeable chunk of your budget, so I'd be considering an Ultranote V from pcspecialst.com, ordering with no operating system and putting Ubuntu and LibreOffice on it instead, which are free. Problem here though is you need (a little) knowledge to set that up. (Mind you if you were going Linux 4GB would be less of a constraint as well).
Old 12-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
The Ubuntu/Libre solution would be fine for me, however I have a difficult 'customer' and I'm pigeon'd into Windows and Office, which I agree is the bulk of it. I think hardware wise we are better off with 8Gb RAM and a worse CPU rather than having a slightly better CPU with better L2 cache but it has to access it's paging file constantly and clicking like a Geiger counter

I know I have to turn off as much as I can can from the bloatware side of things.

Looking at this but need to put office on it

Last edited by Spindle; 12-01-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Palace Saved 1/6/10

Dan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDan A came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chateauferret View Post
A quick look on Amazon turns up a handful of choices at around 250 which would leave some money for the office software but if you want more RAM you are trading off a decent processor against that which may make some of the 4GB machines better. We have a couple of laptops running Windoze in 4GB, one of them was an HP which was appallingly slow out of the box but had lots of HP bloatware installed; when I hosed the drive and reinstalled Windoze it was fine. Depends what you want to do with it though.

Also worth pointing out that at this price point Windoze and Office are taking up a sizeable chunk of your budget, so I'd be considering an Ultranote V from pcspecialst.com, ordering with no operating system and putting Ubuntu and LibreOffice on it instead, which are free. Problem here though is you need (a little) knowledge to set that up. (Mind you if you were going Linux 4GB would be less of a constraint as well).
Had the same idea as me.

There are many websites online where you can get cheaper Windows/Office keys (for around the 20 mark) if OP still wants to use Windows.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:49 AM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
I got an x240 refurb from these people and quite happy with it. Varying states of quality and accessories but normally well documented what condition its in, just watch for non UK keyboards but it will state this. Stock changes quite quickly.
IT Zoo

Last edited by LN1; 12-01-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Spulling
Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
The Ubuntu/Libre solution would be fine for me, however I have a difficult 'customer' and I'm pigeon'd into Windows and Office, which I agree is the bulk of it. I think hardware wise we are better off with 8Gb RAM and a worse CPU rather than having a slightly better CPU with better L2 cache but it has to access it's paging file constantly and clicking like a Geiger counter

I know I have to turn off as much as I can can from the bloatware side of things.

Looking at this but need to put office on it

That looks downright decent from a spec price point of view. Surprised to see such a good deal from that supplier

Of course the Linux route isn't for everyone and even for simple use cases you need a certain amount of confidence, especially if there isn't someone on hand to support the user with experience. As well as cost it's worrying that software companies like Microsoft are more and more expecting their users to put their data in the cloud - technically that has benefits around portability and backup but you might not want to share your work or secrets with them! Particularly a problem for ChromeOS where it turns out to be actually quite difficult to save anything locally and avoid having copies of it on Google's servers.

Finally if you're paging a lot to an SSD you could wear the SSD out quicker, especially if the drive is small and quite full. OTOH it will be faster than a mechanical drive.
Old 13-01-2021, 11:09 AM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

That spec wasn't available anywhere despite saying it was. Went with a 250 4gb ATOM chipped Levano in the end. It'll have to do.
Old 19-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
That spec wasn't available anywhere despite saying it was. Went with a 250 4gb ATOM chipped Levano in the end. It'll have to do.
DYM Lenovo? I think their stuff is pretty good.

In related news I just had an order for a replacement mains adapter spontaneously cancelled by Currys just as I was going out the door to collect it - no explanation, no advice, no apology, just **** off you're just a customer. Last time I use them for anything.
Old 20-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
I'd lose the customer or suggest a tablet - a laptop at that price is going to stink and you'll get blamed for it.

Plus, users are idiots. You can basically get a Pi in a keyboard case for less than 150 but because Maitland/Lois only uses it for email and Waitrose.com, it must have Windows 10 Pro plus Office or it won't be good enough.
Old 20-01-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I'd lose the customer or suggest a tablet - a laptop at that price is going to stink and you'll get blamed for it.

Plus, users are idiots. You can basically get a Pi in a keyboard case for less than 150 but because Maitland/Lois only uses it for email and Waitrose.com, it must have Windows 10 Pro plus Office or it won't be good enough.
That's kind of a paradox, isn't it? It's not good enough unless you stuff it with malware. Hmmm.
Old 21-01-2021, 12:18 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
If you are prepared to go second hand and want a small laptop the Thinkpad x240, x250 are available at that price range. They are great little laptops.
Yes, prices have risen but I buy refurbished these days. Presently using a Thinkpad Yoga 12
Old 21-01-2021, 01:41 AM
Fay Wray

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's not good enough unless you stuff it with malware.
Bloatware, surely?
Old 21-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
That's kind of a paradox, isn't it? It's not good enough unless you stuff it with malware. Hmmm.
We are dealing with people for whom it's a miracle they can get out of bed without maiming themselves.
Old 16-04-2021, 07:31 PM

READING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for youREADING EAGLE is just too good for you
Brought 2 really good i5 laptops from refurbished laptops - Wiltshire
Great price and speedy service - 265 plus vat
Old 17-04-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Bloatware, surely?
Bloatware is a subclass of malware.
Old 17-04-2021, 08:26 AM

Johnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Try Itzoo, business machines refurbs and get office for about a tenner on ebay. Have had about five and all no problem getting microsoft updates