Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 29-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Granddad was a Peterborough supporter but they moved to Croydon when my dad was around 5. 1910,my granddad took my dad to watch Arsenal first but my Dad started going up the Palace on his own and that became his team,he took me to Selhurst park when I was a round 6 or 7 in 65/66 and that was that never had an interest in any other team.

We were always into football with the Purley way playing fields just outside our front door on Waddon way in Waddon.

I was John Jackson and then later John McCormick until I had a trial over Shirley children's home ..I ran up the wing beat two players crossed the ball right on my mates head and he nodded in...Came off well chuffed and John McCormick came over and said .....You run funny get that sorted out...
Old 29-12-2020, 09:02 PM
Correctamundo !

Another Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Grandad lived in Thornton Heath at the time and took me and my Dad to a game v Arsenal - must have been mid - late 70s so I'd have been anywhere between 7 and 10. Dad was a Millwall fan having grown up in Bermondsey but Grandad for some unknown reason was proper Palace even though he'd only just moved to the area. Things kicked off as some Arsenal fans were in the home end (Holmesdale ?) and a couple had a go at my Grandad... not the best idea as my Dad was pretty handy and sorted things out. For me this was about as brilliant as the day could have been - I cant even remember if we won tbh
Old 29-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Can't remember my very first game - would have been around 1963/64. Dad never took me, I used to go with school-friends and one of their fathers.

First evening game was Palace v Leeds March '65 in the FA Cup. The dad of a schoolfriend took us in his car. We lost 3-0.

First away game was a Friday night v Fulham September 1968. Promotion season. They organised a coach from the factories in New Addington. We were flying high, Fulham were struggling. We lost 1-0 to a goal from Malcolm MacDonald who had recently converted to centre forward from left back. Coach stopped at a pub on the way back - finally got home around 12.15 am! My father was pacing around outside the factories, fit to be tied! No more evening away games for me for a while....

Dad was a Chelsea supporter through his father. My brother supported Spurs to wind up dad in the 1967 Cup Final, but I converted him in the early 70's when Palace knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup in a replay with a Gerry Queen goal. I can't get to matches these days, but my brother still has a season ticket in the Whitehorse. Still mad after all these years.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:11 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Oxted Eagle View Post
Grandad lived in Thornton Heath at the time and took me and my Dad to a game v Arsenal - must have been mid - late 70s so I'd have been anywhere between 7 and 10. Dad was a Millwall fan having grown up in Bermondsey but Grandad for some unknown reason was proper Palace even though he'd only just moved to the area. Things kicked off as some Arsenal fans were in the home end (Holmesdale ?) and a couple had a go at my Grandad... not the best idea as my Dad was pretty handy and sorted things out. For me this was about as brilliant as the day could have been - I cant even remember if we won tbh
If it was mid to late 70's and we were playing Arsenal... I'm pretty sure we didn't win!
Old 29-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
If it was mid to late 70's and we were playing Arsenal... I'm pretty sure we didn't win!
We played them in 1979 and won 1-0 with Dave Swindlehurst scoring the goal.
Old 31-12-2020, 03:26 AM
Correctamundo !

Another Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAnother Oxted Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
We played them in 1979 and won 1-0 with Dave Swindlehurst scoring the goal.
Ah cheers - that would be it then, I’d have been 10
Old 31-12-2020, 05:23 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
Can't remember my very first game - would have been around 1963/64. Dad never took me, I used to go with school-friends and one of their fathers.

First evening game was Palace v Leeds March '65 in the FA Cup. The dad of a schoolfriend took us in his car. We lost 3-0.

First away game was a Friday night v Fulham September 1968. Promotion season. They organised a coach from the factories in New Addington. We were flying high, Fulham were struggling. We lost 1-0 to a goal from Malcolm MacDonald who had recently converted to centre forward from left back. Coach stopped at a pub on the way back - finally got home around 12.15 am! My father was pacing around outside the factories, fit to be tied! No more evening away games for me for a while....

Dad was a Chelsea supporter through his father. My brother supported Spurs to wind up dad in the 1967 Cup Final, but I converted him in the early 70's when Palace knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup in a replay with a Gerry Queen goal. I can't get to matches these days, but my brother still has a season ticket in the Whitehorse. Still mad after all these years.
You mirror my following Dave. Same first season my first that year was v Bournemouth which we won 2-0 ?. Remember the Leeds game in 65 had to queue all around the local streets for a ticket. That was the start of Leeds big era. The Fulham game was a 1-0 loss ,Johhny Haynes actually played that night. I can't get to the games either the cost is prohibitive ,not to mention the travel involved .
Old 14-01-2021, 10:07 AM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think it was the England v Poland World Cup qualifier in 1973 that really cemented my love of the game. It was so exciting, we had to win to qualify and although we failed drawing 1-1, we absolutely battered them. I remember the excitement so well and quite often watch the highlights on YouTube.

Where palace are concerned, I went to my first games in 1975, but I was wavering towards Millwall I’m ashamed to admit, but my dad wouldn’t let me go because in his words “they’re mad bastards down there” So it was going to the Chelsea FA Cup game in 1976 before I was really hooked despite already having been to a few home games.
Old 14-01-2021, 10:42 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I think it was the England v Poland World Cup qualifier in 1973 that really cemented my love of the game
Me too. That was excellent grounding for watching Palace.
Old 14-01-2021, 11:23 AM

sbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesbds18 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've had a back and forth relationship with football. My mum and dad weren't into it, so didn't discover it until I was about 8/9. First big memories of it are England v Argentina in the '98 World Cup. I then followed football in general for a few years, mainly watching Italian football on C4 but also watching Gianfranco Zola wherever he was (mainly at Chelsea) because he was my football idol.

Didn't really follow a team in particular, but kept my eye out for some for different reasons. Palace (I liked the kit), Donaster Rovers (family nearby), Bristol Rovers (first team to hire me on Championship Manager). Ended up becoming a Palace fan not long after I moved to London. Ended up moving to Croydon after that and becoming a season ticket holder. Can't imagine what I'd do now if I wasn't a Palace fan, from the first moment entering Selhurst it just felt natural, like I'd always been here.
Old 14-01-2021, 06:38 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
Me too. That was excellent grounding for watching Palace.
Not really, I said it was exciting
Old 14-01-2021, 07:03 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Not really, I said it was exciting
I was thinking more of the crushing disappointment
Old 15-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Made in Bromley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
I was thinking more of the crushing disappointment
I make you right
Old 26-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Probationary User

steve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My Father, and Uncle were CP fans, and season ticket holders, I aged 7 in 1967, was a Man u fan, until the day i went to CP, and was hooked, all three of us went to every single home game between 1967 to around 1982, when i started doing shift work, so missed out a lot of games, My Uncle did pretty much every game, home and away, and regularly came back with the whole teams autographs, as the Team would all be on the same train!
Wouldnt do that now!
My highlights were seeing Palace thrash Man u 5-0, awesome!
Also the three of us rushing back to the car for the results, especially if we had won
I as a child, new where every team was in the league, plus points etc, so could relay this information while the results were being read out

As said before, we get bullied, have the mickey taken out of us, etc but i will never change from being a CP fan,

steve
Old 26-01-2021, 10:09 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Steve. 2 posts in 6 years, You are certainly selective. Repped. Post more.
Old 26-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Brahms and List

Ant.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is hereAnt.Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Impressive writing for a 6 year old too
Old 26-01-2021, 10:48 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
My Dad, and my Grandad used to take me and my brother to Selhurst as a small boy. My Grandad wasn't even Palace he was a northerner who supported the Toon but due to relocating to Norwood had brought my Dad up as a Palace fan. I was definitely taken when I was small I didn't really know what was going on, but remember sitting in the Arthur near the front of the seats above the then enclosure. Would have been sometime very early 70s, but properly got into football and Palace in 1975. Little did I know that my first season would see us reach and FA Cup Semi Final and then 2 of the next 3 seasons would end in promotion before the Team of the 80s was born.

What could possibly go wrong
Old 12-02-2021, 08:30 PM
Probationary User

steve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteve mull : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post

Yep two posts in 6 years, i look and read, a lot of posts, and because i am not a ******, choose not to add a comment,

I was not aware, that to be a CP fan, the law says that i HAVE to reply or post to anything, it does not say that anywhere
Old 12-02-2021, 09:07 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Blimey Steve, you don't half bang on. Jesus.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:34 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Steve is perfectly named.