Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-04-2021, 02:52 PM

hulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
VicMo -Left too early. Had a journey man career which is a shame really for the lad.

Nat Clyne - Probably did well leaving when he did. Had bad luck with injuries at Liverpool but before that all seemed to be going well for him.

Jose Fonte - Did well since leaving us overall. Took a risk by dropping down to Soton which ultimately paid off. Pards had an ulterior motive to getting him on board, or so the legend goes.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:58 PM

Location: Hiding behind Maidstoned who's hiding behind Biggus
garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
I'm surprised Prince Harry hasn't been mentioned

That reminds me

Ben Watson left us too soon
Old 06-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALACEWU View Post
I doubt he would hold that opinion
I'm sure he wouldn't, doesn't make it any less true though (IMO of course)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkster View Post
VicMo -Left too early. Had a journey man career which is a shame really for the lad.

Nat Clyne - Probably did well leaving when he did. Had bad luck with injuries at Liverpool but before that all seemed to be going well for him.

Jose Fonte - Did well since leaving us overall. Took a risk by dropping down to Soton which ultimately paid off. Pards had an ulterior motive to getting him on board, or so the legend goes.
VicMo? The same VicMo that has won the Premier League, Europa League (twice), FA Cup and Africa Cup of Nations?

Think he will be pretty happy with his career to be honest!
Old 06-04-2021, 03:29 PM

Eastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is hereEastern Boy Sam the man is here
Marco Gabbiadini. Suffered for being Wrighty replacement and a different type of player.

Struggled to score goals and when he did start finding the net we sold him. Never amounted to anything else after but I do think there was a good player in there somewhere and if he had stayed how would he had fared.

Also Terry Fenwick. Always thought he'd go on to play for England, despite much malignment from Palace fans and he proved me right.

Was sad to see Sean Scannell move on and I think he did pretty well in his career
Old 06-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post
Marco Gabbiadini. Suffered for being Wrighty replacement and a different type of player.

Struggled to score goals and when he did start finding the net we sold him. Never amounted to anything else after but I do think there was a good player in there somewhere and if he had stayed how would he had fared.

Also Terry Fenwick. Always thought he'd go on to play for England, despite much malignment from Palace fans and he proved me right.

Was sad to see Sean Scannell move on and I think he did pretty well in his career
Interesting that you say Gabbiadini didn't amount to anything after us, but Scannell did pretty well. I'd have thought Gabbiadini had the far better career of the two.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 06-04-2021, 04:05 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! View Post
I'd argue that AWB should have stayed longer. Watching him against Brighton I couldn't help but think he really hasn't markedly improved since he left and he would have had that chance here before moving on.
I'm not sure how that works given he has been a regular starter there since moving. I imagine that the training he gets up there in terms of both the coaching and the players around him is well beyond what he would have experienced had he stayed.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:07 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Morrison probably left at the right time first time around but definitely should have stayed the second time rather than go to Coventry
Old 06-04-2021, 04:22 PM

Mr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is here
Dougie Freedman left too soon - both as a player and a manager.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:47 PM
Probationary User

not going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnnot going back lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipp Ahoy! View Post
VicMo? The same VicMo that has won the Premier League, Europa League (twice), FA Cup and Africa Cup of Nations?

Think he will be pretty happy with his career to be honest!
Is Victor Moses the only Palace Apprentice/Academy Graduate to win a League medal?
Old 06-04-2021, 05:34 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Mullins - forced a move to West Ham and we ended up getting promoted, beating west ham in the process. He then did get promoted with them but think he could have have gone on to have a long and great career for us as a one club man.

People forget he had made 222 appearances by the time he was 24. Went on to play 179 for West Ham then 114 for Pompey so easily could have ended up our 2nd most capped player behind Jim.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:36 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post

Chris Armstrong appears to have just been a stoner who could get away with it at Palace but not at a big club
Really harsh on Amrstrong. Armstrong/Sheringham collectively scored more goals for Spurs than Klinsmann/Sheringham partnership that everyone raved about in 94/95. Armstrong still had a goal return of 1 in 3 at Spurs (who were largely bang average at the time), despite being decimated with injuries from 96' onwards. 93/94 Armstrong was simply unplayable for us. People rave about his pace and exploiting the channels but he was also one of the best finishers with his head that i've seen during my time of watching Palace.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:41 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
That's actually really harsh - and inaccurate - on Armstrong. He had a better than 1 in 3 goalscoring record at Spurs. He, too, was hampered by injuries.
It was a light hearted comment hence the grin and it's more based on the pics of him with long dreads and imagining him not really being injured but just way too stoned to be playing football
Old 06-04-2021, 05:42 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
Dougie Freedman left too soon - both as a player and a manager.
Coppell sold him in September 97' where he'd started the season off as sub. I think many were surprised to see him go without getting a proper look in after we'd been promoted. Then the Smith deal materialised where he went the other way and 6 weeks later Padovano rocked up (We also had Warhurst, Dyer and Shipps up top who all had a bit of something different between them). His goal return in his time at Wolves was largely identical to that of his first Palace spell (1 in 3). I loved Dougie as a player but just wasn't good enough for the Prem.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:44 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Mullins - forced a move to West Ham and we ended up getting promoted, beating west ham in the process. He then did get promoted with them but think he could have have gone on to have a long and great career for us as a one club man.

People forget he had made 222 appearances by the time he was 24. Went on to play 179 for West Ham then 114 for Pompey so easily could have ended up our 2nd most capped player behind Jim.
Was hoping to be the first one to say Mullins. Absolutely loved him as a kid, class center back. Remember wanting to get his name on the back of my shirt (I was about 7) and he moved a few weeks later.

Clinton Morrison
Old 06-04-2021, 06:18 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
John Jackson was moved on by Malcolm Allison. Big mistake. Although he was no spring chicken (31) he went on to play as many matches (with 6 different teams) as he had with Palace. Also we should have kept hold of Phil Hoadley. At the time he was our youngest debutant and was only 20 when we flogged him off to (where else) Orient. Also thought David Kemp was a bit unlucky to be classed as, surplus to requirements. Had a good scoring record where ever he played.
None of us seemed to have seen the potential in Patrick Bamford. Pardew made him an outcast and when he appeared for us he was shite, but we could have probably picked him up for a reasonable fee.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Millsie02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli28 View Post
I'm not sure how that works given he has been a regular starter there since moving. I imagine that the training he gets up there in terms of both the coaching and the players around him is well beyond what he would have experienced had he stayed.
You would think so wouldn't you but he really hasn't improved.

Perhaps he would be given greater focus and attention from both coaching staff and fellow players if he was still here. I suspect the players at United are more interested in themselves.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 PM

Mr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is hereMr Mojo Risin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Coppell sold him in September 97' where he'd started the season off as sub. I think many were surprised to see him go without getting a proper look in after we'd been promoted. Then the Smith deal materialised where he went the other way and 6 weeks later Padovano rocked up (We also had Warhurst, Dyer and Shipps up top who all had a bit of something different between them). His goal return in his time at Wolves was largely identical to that of his first Palace spell (1 in 3). I loved Dougie as a player but just wasn't good enough for the Prem.
Although he started that season as a sub, I think he would have been ok in the Prem that season. Certainly a better option than Padovano and probably better than Warhurst, Dyer and Shipperley too. Until Matt Jansen turned up our forward options were pretty poor.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:39 PM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I always feel Super Nige stayed too long. His England career probably suffered for it. Close call between him and Jules as to my favourite keeper. Only saw a glimpse of John Jackson when I started following Palace.

David Hopkin probably sold at top of market.

Would have liked Craig Moore to have stayed longer.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:43 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post

Great post.