Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 15-07-2020, 04:17 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Music Books

I don't know if we're had a thread on this, but what about music books?
I have rather a large collection of them. Anyone else?
Recommendations?
Old 15-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
You mean sheet music? Or books about etc?
Old 15-07-2020, 04:26 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
What the feckless dago ponce said.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:27 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Books about bands, genres etc.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:30 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Bob Stanley - Yeah Yeah Yeah is a terrific book about pop music which I and others have wanged on about quite a bit on here.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:31 PM
jft39

Simon Napier Bell's books are jolly entertaining if not necessarily well-written/100% true. I'll need to have a look at the bookshelves to see which ones of his I own.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:32 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Just bought a few of the 33 1/3 series on Television, Tom Waits and Can. Gather they're a bit variable - some good reads and some a bit dryly academic.

Just about the only book on Television I've ever found is 'Sonic Transmission', which is so-so.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:33 PM
jft39

Lloyd Bradley - Sounds Like London: 100 Years of Black Music in the Capital does what it says on the tin as does his Bass Culture: When Reggae Was King.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Simon Napier Bell's books are jolly entertaining if not necessarily well-written/100% true. I'll need to have a look at the bookshelves to see which ones of his I own.
Good call. I have two, they are very amusing. Dee Dee Ramone’s book is very good, too.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:35 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Tony Fletcher's Bunnymen book, 'Never Stop', is entertaining, and Julian Cope's autobiographical stuff is hilarious.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:38 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Serge Gainsbourg: A Fistful Of Gitanes: Sylvie Simmons
Old 15-07-2020, 04:38 PM
jft39

Louis Barfe - Where Have All the Good Times Gone?: The Rise and Fall of the Record Industry - I would for the first time ever be interested to hear El Ag's opinion on this.

edit - His Turned Out Nice Again about British light entertainment is also terric
Old 15-07-2020, 04:41 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Jon Savage’s “Teenage” is erudite and witty. My two favourites this year were about or by drums and drummers, Mike Edison’s gonzo biog of Charlie Watts, Sympathy for the Drummer, and Paul Hanley’s book Have a Bleeding Guess, about doing his O Levels and recording Hex Enduction Hour while touring the world with the Fall in 1982.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:42 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Good call. I have two, they are very amusing. Dee Dee Ramone’s book is very good, too.
Just checked and the ones I have are Black Vinyl, White Powder and Ta-Ra-Ra-BOOM-De-Ay. He is a rascal.

I enjoyed Mötley Crüe's The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band when it came out but suspect I would feel a bit icky reading it now.

Last edited by west country boy; 15-07-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: El Angular shamed me into doing so
Old 15-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Tony Fletcher's Bunnymen book, 'Never Stop', is entertaining, and Julian Cope's autobiographical stuff is hilarious.
Do you know Tony, btw? He’s been on here a few times.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:49 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Do you know Tony, btw? He’s been on here a few times.
I messaged someone here who I thought was him, but claimed not to be the same person!
I met him on an Ian McCulloch tour in 1989/90.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:51 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Luke Haines' 'Bad Vibes'.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:51 PM
jft39

Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton's Last Night a DJ Saved my Life: The History of the Disc Jockey and The Record Players: The Story of Dance Music Told by History’s Greatest DJs are terrific if you like that sort of thing, although the latter contains traces of Savile.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:56 PM
jft39

Sylvia Patterson's I'm Not With the Band is an absolutely smashing book about life in music journalism. Mark Ellen's Rock Stars Ruined My Life! is not. It is shit.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I messaged someone here who I thought was him, but claimed not to be the same person!
I met him on an Ian McCulloch tour in 1989/90.
I think he called himself Illeagle Alien on here.