Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 10-08-2021, 03:57 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To have that set of 6 from that season is a frigging top effort!!!!
Old 17-08-2021, 02:50 PM

WHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWHL2R90 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Nice.
Old 17-08-2021, 07:09 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Who are you WHL2R90 and do you need help???

Wondering if your one word replies to various long forgotten memory lane threads is some sort of code?
Old 18-08-2021, 01:01 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
It's weird how we as a fanbase look down on 1991-92

In 116 years of CPFC it's literally our joint-2nd highest ever finish.

Fascinated me right from the Eagle Eye days as to which other fanbase would look down on their second best season
Was a bit weird, wasn't it? I went to every home game that season, and a few of the aways too, and don't really remember much about most of them if I'm honest. I think it was a bit of an "after the Lord Mayor's Show" type thing, having finished an unbelievable 3rd, winning at Wembley, and then having the European dream crushed.

And to lose our best ever player early in the season just added to that - IW leaving was one of those "I remember where I was" moments. I worked in the City, and would walk down Cornhill to Bank Station. Just as I turned left to go down Pope's Head Alley there was always a bloke selling the (not quite as bad at that time) Evening Standard. The back page showed "Graham Swoops" as the headline. I was absolutely gutted.

I've just looked up our results for that season. We all know how in 90-91 it wasn't until we beat the Wankers 3-0 in the last game of the season that we won a home Div.1 game by more than 1 goal. Well in 91-92 we didn't win ANY Div.1 game by more than 1 goal until we beat Everton 2-0 in April '92.
Old 18-08-2021, 09:11 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
My mate and I always refer to 1991/92 as the 'boring season'.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 18-08-2021, 09:23 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I've just looked up our results for that season. We all know how in 90-91 it wasn't until we beat the Wankers 3-0 in the last game of the season that we won a home Div.1 game by more than 1 goal. Well in 91-92 we didn't win ANY Div.1 game by more than 1 goal until we beat Everton 2-0 in April '92.
And yet in spite of that, it's still one of only two seasons in the top flight where we've won more than we lost.

I remember being quite chipper at the end of that season and thinking we'd be good once more in 1992-93. Hmmmm

From what I'm reading here, I suspect if we did a 1991-92 season thread, it wouldn't get much love or attention. Might be best to park that idea!

See you in two years for the 93-94 one!
Old 18-08-2021, 09:56 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
And yet in spite of that, it's still one of only two seasons in the top flight where we've won more than we lost.

I remember being quite chipper at the end of that season and thinking we'd be good once more in 1992-93. Hmmmm

From what I'm reading here, I suspect if we did a 1991-92 season thread, it wouldn't get much love or attention. Might be best to park that idea!

See you in two years for the 93-94 one!
Strange by the end of the season i was concerned. We needed a forward to replace Wright failed with Marco and tried David Whyte and Chris Coleman and it too had failed.
Looking back and now knowing the options which include Andy Cole Dion Dublin for instance. Coppell wanted to sign a player with top flight experience it had served us well to a point but now it was a mistake.
The rebuild was going to have to be brought forward the fall out from the race row and the loss of Ian was forcing it on us, yet we seemed to fiddle about whilst the flames burned away the heart of the side.
The season had its highs and lows but is not fondly remembered despite our position. Without realising it we were watching an end of the greatest era in our history to that point. The team of the 80s season we had hope of going higher ok it fell away as we know but the hope was there. As i said by the end of the season it was time for a rebuild. The Premier League was about to dawn football about to change. We fiddled refused the money for Geoff Thomas and did not buy the forward despite the Marco money until latter the next season. Where we signed the untested Chris Armstrong.
To sum up the wasted season that sealed the demise of the next. Despite fond memories Liverpool away as one example.
What might of been. Steve Coppell always a hero but this period is one where he made too many costly errors.

There is a palleral to this one era ending a new one being built. A young team coming together have we called it right this time unlike then.

Edit. I forgot at the start of the season i was head hunted by a guy who had gone to uni with Steve Coppell. I turned him down. Towards the end of the season he came back again and i decided the offer was to good. A gamble as it was i was safe secure where i was but not yet 40. I took it. It changed my life gave me the greatest experiences and countless issues. Would i make the same choice now knowing what i do. Certainly thougjh a few things i would do differently. Like Palace should of done there are times that are forced on you when you have to decide to stick or twist. We stuck it was sensible to a point but we lost what could have been.

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 18-08-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 18-08-2021, 10:11 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I will be starting a new game by game thread for the 91/92 season. Will be up in the next few days to coincide with the first game of the season away to Man City on August 24th.

Looking back through my match by match scrapbook, for some reason I never added reports for the last four games of the season. I must’ve lost the will by that point.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 18-08-2021, 11:07 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I will be starting a new game by game thread for the 91/92 season. Will be up in the next few days to coincide with the first game of the season away to Man City on August 24th.

Looking back through my match by match scrapbook, for some reason I never added reports for the last four games of the season. I mustíve lost the will by that point.
Old 18-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:

Looking back through my match by match scrapbook, for some reason I never added reports for the last four games of the season. I mustíve lost the will by that point.
I will read with interest and contribute where I can. Also happy to continue with the weekly top 10 movers and shakers, for my own amusement if probably no-one else's.
Old 18-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's weird how we as a fanbase look down on 1991-92

In 116 years of CPFC it's literally our joint-2nd highest ever finish.

Fascinated me right from the Eagle Eye days as to which other fanbase would look down on their second best season
It's about context. If we'd had that season immediately after promotion, we'd have been happy. But after finishing third, it was a massive disappointment, naturally. Coupled with SC's playing style, which was exposed badly following the departure of Wright. It was very dull.
Old 19-08-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I remember the last three games of 91-92 very well so am already marking April and May on my calendar.

(Just checked what the 4th last game was in 1992 - 0-0 v Oldham. My God, of course you lost the will to carry on at that point!)
Old 19-08-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I will read with interest and contribute where I can. Also happy to continue with the weekly top 10 movers and shakers, for my own amusement if probably no-one else's.
You know I love those Top 10 updates

As I sit here now, I realise that 1991-92 was the time I stopped listening to the charts every week (I had a part time job on Sundays), so rather than anticipating the songs you'll be mentioning I'm pretty clueless and look forward to some long forgotten tunes being brought back to mind.
Old 19-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:

Didn't the season start late in those days?

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 19-08-2021, 01:47 PM

IIRC OUR season started late due to overrunning improvement works at Selhurst over the summer, which caused our opening home game to be postponed?

Seems the thread is getting going already!
Old 19-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
IIRC OUR season started late due to overrunning improvement works at Selhurst over the summer, which caused our opening home game to be postponed?

Interesting - I have no memory of that! (I remember a few years later having to sit in the Whitehorse for the first game of the season because the new Holmesdale Stand wasn't open.)

Old 19-08-2021, 02:19 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Interesting - I have no memory of that! (I remember a few years later having to sit in the Whitehorse for the first game of the season because the new Holmesdale Stand wasn't open.)
Yes I remember having to do that too. We played Barnsley I think (dif we win 4-2 or something like that?), David Hopkin made his debut.
Old 19-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Yes I remember having to do that too. We played Barnsley I think (dif we win 4-2 or something like that?), David Hopkin made his debut.
Something like that - a cracking game on a very sunny day.

Old 19-08-2021, 02:34 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Trying to work out what the work was. It was not the Whitehorse Lane Stand seating opening as that came latter.
Old 19-08-2021, 02:39 PM
On the learning curve

MENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMENTALLY TOUGH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Trying to work out what the work was. It was not the Whitehorse Lane Stand seating opening as that came latter.
Wasn't the "Improvements" not the stadium itself but the Car Park being done? Probably the old bill didn't fancy Leeds coming to town, with rubble everywhere.