Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 25-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
It's a good point, Bipe. I'd heard that song about five times a day for months on the radio, who would ever need to buy it?

(When I was a kid though, I'd sometimes buy a record to help it move up the charts)
Old 25-08-2021, 01:10 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Let's get back into the top ten movers and shakers then. In fact it was a quiet week with only one new entry, although it was a fairly notable one:

Charly by The Prodigy - This was the ravers' first proper hit, peaking at number three. A commercially appealing mashup of the old public information cartoon starring the little boy and his cat Charley about stranger danger. I always preferred the old school Prodigy sound before Keith Flint came to the forefront. Interestingly, according to Wikipedia Kenny Everett provided Charley the cat's mewling voice in the original cartoons, I never knew that.

Footnote: At this time (Everything I Do) I Do It For You had already been at number one for two months but was still only halfway through its reign, staying at the top spot for 16 weeks through to early October. It's always fascinated me how records like this and Love Is All Around managed to maintain such sales momentum, outselling all opposition for weeks on end. Who was still buying the damned thing by the time it had been number one for more than say six weeks??

UK Top 10 from that week......
1 - (Everything I do) I do it for you - Bryan Adams
2 - I'm too sexy - Right Said Fred
3 - More than words - Exteme
4 - Move Any Mountain - The Shamen
5 - Set adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
6 - All 4 Love - Colour Me Badd
7 - Winter In July - Bomb The Bass
8 - Now That We've Found Love - Heavy D & The Boyz
9 - Enter Sandman - Metallica
10 = Summertime - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Other bits of news in August 1991

23 August – Growing confidence over economic recovery has helped boost the Conservative government's popularity, as they return to the top of the MORI poll with a two-point lead over Labour putting them on 42%.

30 August - Scottish runner Liz McColgan becomes the first British gold medalist at the World Athletics Championships in Tokyo, Japan.
Rioting breaks out on the Ely council estate in Cardiff.

Main fads at the time were hypercolour clothing - which were touchable, heat-sensitive outerwear that changed color with the heat of the body wearing them, or the hands touching them.
People were going mad for the Megadrive at this point too.
Old 25-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post

UK Top 10 from that week......
1 - (Everything I do) I do it for you - Bryan Adams
2 - I'm too sexy - Right Said Fred
3 - More than words - Exteme
4 - Move Any Mountain - The Shamen
5 - Set adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
6 - All 4 Love - Colour Me Badd
7 - Winter In July - Bomb The Bass
8 - Now That We've Found Love - Heavy D & The Boyz
9 - Enter Sandman - Metallica
10 = Summertime - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Other bits of news in August 1991

Some great tunes in that Top 10. Was obsessed with Move Any Mountain - back in the days when to learn the lyrics meant stopping and rewinding the tape cassette again and again listening to each phrase and gradually write the lyrics on a piece of paper. Now you just Google lyrics and it's instant

"I will not fail or falter, I shall believe...." All those hours learning Move Any Mountain still paying off - I still remember the words
Old 25-08-2021, 06:55 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Or as it was cruelly reinterpreted when news of 'one of The Shamen''s demise filtered through, 'I can drown drown, drown in a fountain'. Nonsensical anyway as he drowned in the ocean.
Old 26-08-2021, 12:43 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wow - you're right, just checked - didn't even know that!
Old 26-08-2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Who was still buying the damned thing by the time it had been number one for more than say six weeks??
Exactly. I remember Karma Chameleon (6 weeks) Uptown Girl (5 weeks) and Two Tribes (9 weeks) and they seemed like entire eras just in the time they were number one in 83-84.

Bryan Adams's reign that summer was unreal and blew all those ones out of the water. Surely if you liked it you bought it in the first 6 weeks! And surely you'd heard it enough after week 12 that you knew you didn't want to own the single as you were sick of it by then!
Old 27-08-2021, 08:40 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
PALACE 3. Bright. Gray. Wright
WIMBLEDON 2. Fashanu. Earle

ATT: 16,304

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 27-08-2021, 09:01 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
30 years to the day, a game that has gone down in Palace folklore and certainly up there as one of my most memorable Selhurst experiences. Just a crazy, crazy game, and really showed what a bloody strong and professional outfit we were. Wimbledon were no mugs, and to play an hour without your keeper and Salako in goal and win, was outstanding.

I was in the Holmesdale that night and just remember it being one of those angst ridden enthralling evenings with a happy and pleasing ending. When Martyn got his marching orders I, like everyone else, thought we’d had it; especially when Salako donned the keepers jersey. But he was totally inspired and the save at the end, to push away a goal bound effort, just capped it all off. There was obviously a lot of nervousness every time Wimbledon attacked, but the defence did well to limit their shots on target and Salako was always on his toes, ready to react. It seemed he was born for that moment.

So despite the gods spitting in our cornflakes again, we managed to get the three points and were up and running.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 27-08-2021, 10:02 AM

The greatest night time game in Selhurst history. Crystanbul was a great last ten minutes but this is number 1.

0-1 and Martyn sent off

But then 2-1 up by half time and they had a man off as well

3-1 and Wimbledon down to 9 men!

Robbie Earle makes it 3-2 with Wimbledon's first proper effort on goal after about 86 minutes - up to then Salako had performed admirably but without having a proper save to make.

Absolute onslaught at the end.

Wimbledon about to equalise....but Salako makes a legit reaction save. Crowd goes wild

Hans Segers up in our box at a corner. Eddie gets the ball 80 yards from an empty Wimbledon goal. SHOOOOOOT!!!

Ref blows the whistle and we never get to see if Eddie would have been able to outpace the Wimbledon players and finish it off.

What

A

Game!
Old 27-08-2021, 10:12 AM

The drama didn't end for me there. Getting the train home that night back to Chatham, I was nearly home when the train stopped near a tiny village station.

Eventually the announcement came through

"Sorry for the delay, there is a man with a gun shooting at police and trains at Sole Street Station"

Not something you hear every day!

One lad walked up the train grinning and commented "Good, I hope he gets the bastards"

I was more concerned for my own well being to be honest - I naively thought the plan would be for the train to hurtle through the station and we all just ducked down to avoid a bullet.

The reality of course was that the train had to take a different route and go pretty much all the way back to London and then back down to the alternative Dartford-Gravesend route to get to Medway.

Think I got home at 2am which was bloody late, making it a super late night for folk down in Ramsgate and Margate.
Old 27-08-2021, 10:20 AM

8 minute highlights - well worth a watch

Old 27-08-2021, 10:25 AM

Love the way Salako bollocks the players right at the end just like a proper goalie would do
Old 27-08-2021, 10:34 AM
Palace 'til i die

Aki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is hereAki Aki Aki Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post

Thanks GR, that's a great watch. So many super memories from that era . Loved our kit as well.
Old 27-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Custard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCustard Pie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Brilliant. Different times, I know, but look at the power in midfield.
Andy Gray = beast!
Old 27-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Andy Gray was an amazing player for us, absolutely loved him.

The game against Wimbledon the season before had also been a classic, ending up 4-3 to us.

Given what came to light a few years later, it's interesting to read that Hans Segers looked 'unusually shaky' in goal and he 'once again muffed a cross' for our winner. Maybe the betting gods were smiling on us that evening??

By the way the word 'muff' has criminally fallen out of fashion these days, in more ways than one! Memories of our pub quiz team the 'muff divers'.
Old 27-08-2021, 10:52 AM

Reminds me of the lads at Gatwick Airport on their jollies all wearing their custom printed Olympic Muff Diving Team T-shirts!

True - muff has just gone....although is still a common term in NFL if punters 'muff a punt'
Old 27-08-2021, 11:13 AM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
I ballboy'd at the Sainsbury's end for that game - behind the goal.
Old 27-08-2021, 11:51 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Was on the Holmedale that night , great game and an amazing atmosphere , my cousin came up from Ashford in Kent with a girlfriend for her first and possibly her only game ,remember him telling her it’s not always this good
Old 27-08-2021, 11:57 AM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
The greatest night time game in Selhurst history. Crystanbul was a great last ten minutes but this is number 1.

0-1 and Martyn sent off

But then 2-1 up by half time and they had a man off as well

3-1 and Wimbledon down to 9 men!

Robbie Earle makes it 3-2 with Wimbledon's first proper effort on goal after about 86 minutes - up to then Salako had performed admirably but without having a proper save to make.

Absolute onslaught at the end.

Wimbledon about to equalise....but Salako makes a legit reaction save. Crowd goes wild

Hans Segers up in our box at a corner. Eddie gets the ball 80 yards from an empty Wimbledon goal. SHOOOOOOT!!!

Ref blows the whistle and we never get to see if Eddie would have been able to outpace the Wimbledon players and finish it off.

What

A

Game!
I mean Burnley ‘79 and Swindon ‘89 may have been better night time games??
Old 27-08-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
I mean Burnley ‘79 and Swindon ‘89 may have been better night time games??
Better and more memorable occasions for sure but were they 'great games'

I listened to the commentary again of the Swindon game recently and we pretty much controlled the second half to see the tie out

This Wimbledon game as a standalone game is sensational.