Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-03-2021, 11:54 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
One which was probably the most toxic was the F A Cup 2 2 draw against Everton in the early 70s. The referee was saved by Yogi from being attacked by a fan. Tackles assaults might be a better term by Everton one on Jacko in the first half were ignored. The Evening News in its match report suggested the Police were extremely concerned that it could over spill and even thought about having the game called off.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:07 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
One which was probably the most toxic was the F A Cup 2 2 draw against Everton in the early 70s. The referee was saved by Yogi from being attacked by a fan. Tackles assaults might be a better term by Everton one on Jacko in the first half were ignored. The Evening News in its match report suggested the Police were extremely concerned that it could over spill and even thought about having the game called off.

I've talked about this particular game before. It was as far as I'm concerned the closest I've personally seen to a full scale riot at a game. Definitely the angriest Selhurst crowd.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:14 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Wasn't Alan Whittle one of the main antagonist in that game?

Only to join Palace a few weeks later...
Old 19-03-2021, 12:19 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

I think the whole Everton team were. Thing is the referee lost control of the game. Yogi (John Hughes) was a huge big beefy player and must have seen red. Anyway he started running with the ball and knocked over at least 3 maybe 4 or even 5 Everton players along the way as he headed straight towards goal which he seemed to determined to run the ball straight into. Ref blew his whistle and sent him straight off. I think it may have been the first card of the game, despite Palace players being floored left right and centre before that Yogi incident. The people running on to have a go at the Ref came from the Old Stand.... that's how fired up people were. The Holmesdale was in total uproar. Lots of people threatening to get on the pitch, not only to attack the ref, but the Everton players as well.

P
Old 19-03-2021, 12:24 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

No that was the league game the next season he and Mel were involved. Strange what 20 years latter we and Everton again clashed Keown tackle on Young following the ZDS final the season before.

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 19-03-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
I've talked about this particular game before. It was as far as I'm concerned the closest I've personally seen to a full scale riot at a game. Definitely the angriest Selhurst crowd.
I would agree think half time helped. I would suggest it would of only needed one more tackle decision for it to errupt.The break took just enough edge off it.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:30 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
No that was the league gane the next season he and Mel were involved.
OK.

I was at both, but they all sort of blend together in my fading memory!
Old 19-03-2021, 12:33 AM
Since '67

I'd love to chat to an Everton supporter or Player that was at that game that day. Bet it's engrained in their memories too.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:41 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieEdwards View Post
Millwall didn't actually bugger anything up for us on that particular occasion. Actually they weren't even in the division as they'd been promoted the previous season. We needed Bradford to beat Man City on that day but that ended 1-1 which meant that we couldn't catch Man City.
Thanks, it must have been 1988 when we were relying on Millwall's result then, when we just missed out on the play-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
I know that we had some outside chance of something or other at the Brum game which is why we came racing out of the traps, but the Man City link I remember for some reason because it was a rare televised match with Brian Moore doing the commentary
Yes - I think it was something like we had to win by 4 clear goals and hope the other result (which I'm now reliably advised didn't involve Millwall!) went our way in order to get automatic promotion rather than just get into the play-offs. But we ended up finishing 1 point behind Man City who took the 2nd automatic promotion place behind Chelsea.
Old 19-03-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
I'd love to chat to an Everton supporter or Player that was at that game that day. Bet it's engrained in their memories too.
Its something about Cup games and that era I can list 5 which were interesting

Leeds Chelsea Sunderland in 76 Tooting in 74 or 75 and of course Brighton replay..... Surviving the opposition fans was as interesting as the game.

Watching games of that era how bad were the challenges in the Everton game to get Selhurst so incensed. In todays game many games would of ended up 5 a sude.
Old 19-03-2021, 01:03 AM
The Spiky One

January 15th 1972 apparently. 2-2 but won the replay 3-2? (or lost 3-2... it's a little hard to confirm)
Old 19-03-2021, 01:12 AM

Quote:
January 15th 1972 apparently. 2-2 but won the replay 3-2? (or lost 3-2... it's a little hard to confirm)
I am pretty sure we lost but i refer to one of your earlier posts at my age games also blend into one
Old 19-03-2021, 01:20 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
I am pretty sure we lost but i refer to one of your earlier posts at my age games also blend into one
Upon further review it was 3-2 to Everton (played on the 18th)

Apparently Palace didn't have a team out, so to score 2 goals was pretty good going!

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-03-2021, 03:13 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Remember the 2-2 game and the violence, but not the replay ,which we of course lost. Wallace got both our goals at SP and Tambling both at Goodison. My memory isn't that good ,looked it up in me book
Old 19-03-2021, 03:13 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Yes I know - I was talking about the atmosphere before all that crap kicked off. Sorry, should have been clearer.
I might be mistaken, but didn't it all kick off after the first Wright goal?

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 19-03-2021, 03:14 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Royle done Jacko in the 5th minute and should have gone. There's a picture of Jacko with the physio a couple of days later with his thigh completely black. Royle got booked later on for something trivial, but then he got clobbered by Yogi. He turned around and kicked Hughes. Hughes got booked and the ref Smiler Dawes was about to book Royle but realized he'd have to send him off if he did. He bottled it and that sparked the first pitch invasion. Hughes got sent off in the second half for a foul on David Johnson. Five bookings, a sending off and three pitch invasions. The match had everything.
That game still didn't feel as toxic as the Tooting and Mitcham match. Five or six Palace fans were stabbed that day.
Old 19-03-2021, 03:15 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Oddly enough we had three games against Sheff Wednesday the following season and lost the third game(naturally) 2-3 at Villa Park. Neutral venues for replays those were the days.
Old 19-03-2021, 03:15 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
A cup game in the Armstrong era against Man City. Their fans weren't happy.

Old 19-03-2021, 03:16 AM

And I think we can add some Bristol City games in there as well.

Old 19-03-2021, 05:58 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Starting a *manager* out song for the opposing team was always a guilty pleasure
Did we ever do that at craven cottage when Alan dick was having a particular bad run.