Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 27-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Apple TV

Anyone using it? Any good?

Can you rip you DVDs pop em into itunes and watch on your TV? As most DVD's are 7 GB doesnt your Mac/PC fill up or do you downsize them if so to what?

Thinking of getting one in the Black Friday Sale tomorrow.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 27-11-2008, 07:17 PM
iMember

cumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandcumbrian_eagles is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
Not sure about size, but handbrake has a default setting for AppleTV. I've been tempted by one too, but never seen it cheap enough to satisfy me
Old 27-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
I'll wait and see how much they are tomorrow but I don't want to have one copy for my Ipod, one for my Iphone and another for apple TV. Sigh, all seems a bit complicated.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 27-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
I don't use mine as much as I want to. Handbrake is a let down and the developers have all but admitted they have no interest in improving the options for the aTV.

I watch stuff I have bought from iTunes and vodcasts. It's a nice bit of kit but is let down by not being able to output 1080p.

As with all of the devices, it's the software limitations that ruins it. The content providers won't allow Apple to have DVD ripping in iTunes and Handbrake is too fiddly (I am a perfectionist).

I'd love it to have a blu-ray player built-in and a web browser - that would be the nuts. Yet even with a browser, you'll be limited by content providers and region restrictions.

Buy one if you have the time to fiddle with Handbrake.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
have you considered running boxy or alternative softare?
Old 27-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
I've run Boxee and XBMC on the Mac and I don't like either GUI so haven't flashed the aTV.

Boxee's GUI is particularly sluggish and the menu system is plain crazy. Hulu won't work either - I can't fake my IP address to look like I'm in the US.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
have you considered running boxy or alternative softare?
No, I haven't a clue about it. What I would like to achieve is ripp my DVD's on my Imac, have them available to the play on my TV, 42" LCD, however I also want them to be able to be synched with my iphone or Ipod. I want a DVD Jukebox that can send a copy to my portable stuff. But I dont want to spend hours ripping, converting then converting again. Any guidence appreciated.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 27-11-2008, 09:39 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett
I've run Boxee and XBMC on the Mac and I don't like either GUI so haven't flashed the aTV.

Boxee's GUI is particularly sluggish and the menu system is plain crazy. Hulu won't work either - I can't fake my IP address to look like I'm in the US.

Have you tried Plex? I started using it a week or so ago and it seems pretty good to me, however I have only used it on my macbook, not tried hooking it up to a television.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Binned by Muderators

It's not the ripping bit you'll have a problem with; when I rip I do it in batches overnight (and that's on a C2D iMac with 4gb RAM!). It's the settings that is the pain. One rip will look fantastic (in my case, The Hills Have Eyes 2) but the same settings will turn out junk on other movies (Gladiator, Family Guy...).

This is the biggest problem I have with Handbrake - the absolute need to fiddle with the settings for each movie.

As for multi-device work, there is an aTV pre-set in Handbrake and a quick tweak of one of the options will enable the output to run on iPhone's, iPod's etc. I can't remember which setting it is but it's on the Handbrake thread at MacRumors.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz
Have you tried Plex? I started using it a week or so ago and it seems pretty good to me, however I have only used it on my macbook, not tried hooking it up to a television.
Can't run Plex on the aTV. As with the Handbrake devs, they have written off the aTV hardware and are tailoring the code for high-end Mac Pro's.

I think the aTV is a dead one unless Apple converges with the Mac Mini or sticks a DVD or blu-ray drive in the next-gen aTV.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:45 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Can't run Plex on the aTV. As with the Handbrake devs, they have written off the aTV hardware and are tailoring the code for high-end Mac Pro's.

I think the aTV is a dead one unless Apple converges with the Mac Mini or sticks a DVD or blu-ray drive in the next-gen aTV.
If they do actually bring out an updated Mac Mini in the new year as rumoured then I will probably get one to use as a media device.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Binned by Muderators

I wish I'd have held off on the aTV now. The one downside with a Mini is the question marks on playing 1080p content and protected content.

There's a huge market here just waiting for someone to exploit.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
There is no way you are going to be able to rip the same file for Iphone and 30in + LCd - that just doesn't happen.

I don't encode anything for my phone - it all comes direct from podcasts and from Iplayer.

In fact the only ripping I do isn't ripping at at all, I just create verbatim copies of my dvds as ISOs - sorry that doesn't help Atv peeps
Old 27-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
I wish I'd have held off on the aTV now. The one downside with a Mini is the question marks on playing 1080p content and protected content.

There's a huge market here just waiting for someone to exploit.
I can play 1080p just about - it's expected with in built nasty intel graphics though
Old 27-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Binned by Muderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I can play 1080p just about
On a Mini?

I'm having trouble playing them on my Alu iMac. I mean, they play but I have blocking. In theory, the hardware is easily powerful enough so I am wondering whether it's the screen (mad as that sounds).
Old 27-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
On a Mini?
Yeah but it's a bit moot as my tv only supports 1080i

Quote:
I'm having trouble playing them on my Alu iMac. I mean, they play but I have blocking. In theory, the hardware is easily powerful enough so I am wondering whether it's the screen (mad as that sounds).
What grahics card?
Old 27-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Binned by Muderators

ATI Radeon HD2600
Old 27-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Should do then unless the box is overloaded when trying playback.
Old 28-11-2008, 07:04 AM

Just looked at the AppleTv in the sale and they give you the vast amount of 10.99 !!!!!! Now 259 instead of 270 Tightarses no appleTV for me

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 28-11-2008, 08:49 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murraypaf FFS Murray
Apple TV is rubbish, no? When they came out the reviews said you were better of buying a 30 squids Xbox 1 with XBMC.

For those who want to playback everything, in any format and at full 1080p, drop 100 on an Istar mini or popcorn hour. I use mine every day, they are so good I bought 2.