Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He’s in upstate New York. There’s a good biography about those days, 70s Palace and Jamming fanzine, “Boy About Town”. You might be in it!
Old 17-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Boy About Town: A Memoir by Tony Fletcher (2013-09-23) To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-07-2020, 11:00 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Boy About Town: A Memoir by Tony Fletcher (2013-09-23) To view the link you have to Register or Login
For BBSers who are not on the lam in the Costa del Crime: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-07-2020, 11:03 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
How Not To Run a Night, Peter Hook. About the Hacienda club in Manchester.
Yeah, that's a terrific book. I lent my copy to a chum of Pidster's and unsurprisingly I've never had it back.

I got halfway through Hook's Substance but gave up for some reason, so I'll have to give it another go.
Old 17-07-2020, 11:46 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I believe my company makes a fleeting appearance in that book, are Vampire Weekend in it?
We also feature more extensively in Dean Wareham's Black Postcards, which is well worth a read, Dean is a genuinely talented writer.
I forget who it is your company is?

Yeah they are... the book is all about the excess, of sex and drugs of New York, and then it get's to Vampire Week and it's just about how focused they were on being successful!
Old 17-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Touching from a distance by Ian Curtis' wife is another that I loved, and what the film Control was based on.
Old 17-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Yeah, that's a terrific book. I lent my copy to a chum of Pidster's and unsurprisingly I've never had it back.

I got halfway through Hook's Substance but gave up for some reason, so I'll have to give it another go.
I think I might have done similar. Couldn't get into it at all.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:01 PM
jft39

It is very, very long.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
The 2 part biography of Sinatra is excellent
Bruce Springsteens recent memoirs are great too.

Both perfect books to read whilst turning pink and pretending you are hiding out on the Costas after being one of the 3,000 people involved in the Brinks Mat robbery.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:13 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Julian Cope's autobiographical stuff is hilarious.
Head On was brilliant about his time with Teardrop Explodes. Just love his stories about the US tour and Gary Dwyer's antics. Hilarious
Old 17-07-2020, 12:32 PM

The Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is hereThe Norwoodsman Sam the man is here
I enjoyed Ben Folds' autobiography A Dream About Lightning Bugs.

It definitely didn't take itself too seriously and he was quite refreshingly honest about the times he has been a dick, especially to the women in his life.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:35 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Barefoot in Babylon was interesting

SaulAlinsky
Old 18-07-2020, 01:57 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink - Elvis Costello
Old 19-07-2020, 09:33 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
i read Steve Jones - Lonley Boy recently its mildly amusing.

SaulAlinsky
Old 19-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
I really enjoyed reading Life by Keith Richards, and Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne which was laugh out loud funny in parts.
Old 20-07-2020, 03:42 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
No-one Here Gets Out Alive - The Doors
Old 20-07-2020, 04:17 PM

radiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is hereradiomike Sam the man is here
ditto on no-onehere gets out alive
Also Dear Boy - the life of Keith Moon - heard 'happy jack' the other day , Moon's drumming at its craziest reflecting his life.
Old 20-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

I remember being very taken indeed with Up-Tight, the story of the Velevet Underground, when I was 18. But I was the kind of 18 year old who would be impressed by anything about the Velevet Underground. Little Richard, Quasar of Rock was the same.
Old 20-07-2020, 04:46 PM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Head On was brilliant about his time with Teardrop Explodes. Just love his stories about the US tour and Gary Dwyer's antics. Hilarious
Yep love the Julian Cope books... so funny...
Old 20-07-2020, 05:08 PM

hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!hilairehair has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
David Cavanagh's My Magpie Eyes are Hungry for the Prize is good for the rise/failure of the indies through the 80s. I really like Lipstick Traces,but can see it would be a bit marmite. The Luke Haines books on Britpop are very entertaining, partly because he is so bitchy about everyone. David Stubbs' stuff on krautrock is good, and Simon Reynolds' Bring the Noise and Retromania. I've never really warmed to that big Bob Stanley book, although I dip into it from time to time.

Last edited by hilairehair; 20-07-2020 at 05:12 PM.