Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 27-07-2021, 10:36 PM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Windows 11

Will you get it ?
will you upgrade ?
Can you upgrade ?
Loads of people will be having TPM problems on even newer pcs
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 27-07-2021, 10:54 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Part of the reason i just replaced my 6700k with a 5900x.

Might wait until the 1st major patch is released for the initial wave of bugs though
Old 28-07-2021, 04:37 AM

palacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacelad197o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Part of the reason i just replaced my 6700k with a 5900x.

Might wait until the 1st major patch is released for the initial wave of bugs though
My pc does not have Tpm but it's a great gaming pc so looking like I will stick with windows 10
Millions will have the same problem
Old 28-07-2021, 06:17 AM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
No. Free of windows for the last 10 years and not looking back. I’ve heard it’s getting better though
Old 28-07-2021, 07:40 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacelad197o View Post
My pc does not have Tpm but it's a great gaming pc so looking like I will stick with windows 10
Yep. Tbh i justified it because I'm moving careers into software development and have just got a job that will require both heavy processing and ultimately windows 11.

I completely ignored the fact that they are giving me a work laptop and built my new system with the 5900x and absolutely essential rtx 3080
Old 28-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Born in South London

gcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
No. Free of windows for the last 10 years and not looking back. Iíve heard itís getting better though
Every time Microsoft improve Windows they then screw it up. Everyone liked XP so they replaced it with the god awful Vista. They replaced that with Windows 7 and people were happy again. Inevitably out came Windows 8 which was universally panned. One reviewer described it as 'user hostile'. Windows 10 is now well received so that's obviously got to go and Microsoft can piss off thousands of people with the wrong kind of computer.
Old 28-07-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
Every time Microsoft improve Windows they then screw it up. Everyone liked XP so they replaced it with the god awful Vista. They replaced that with Windows 7 and people were happy again. Inevitably out came Windows 8 which was universally panned. One reviewer described it as 'user hostile'. Windows 10 is now well received so that's obviously got to go and Microsoft can piss off thousands of people with the wrong kind of computer.
Yes it does seem crazy that we need Tpm
It either involves messing with the bios or other workaround which the average user will not do so will stick with windows 10
Microsoft should be releasing a version that does not require Tpm
It can't be that hard can it ?
Old 28-07-2021, 09:54 AM

Significant apparently. Its all about security and the next generation of defence against increasing threats requires TPM. Read a bit about it and actually it seems legit.

They feel they have to make this change for security going forward. They probably couldn't say we are updating windows 10 but only people with TPM will enjoy the future updates so it makes sense to release windows 11 but make it free to existing customers.

I agree windows has a history of good/shit/great/awful versions. I hope what this early change does is make it feel more like a mid life update and refresh rather than overhaul because i agree windows 10 is pretty solid.

The fresh not fresh start also allows them to make some of the bigger changes with new features without upsetting the "dont like change" species we are because its not enforced in a windows 10 update.

Fingers crossed its not shit
Old 28-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Microsoft has changed hugely in recent years. Rather than keep new tech and charge a fortune for it and try to crush developers that compete they have gone open source mad!! Create a product and allow users to develop it, Buy and support developers creating new programs and nurture it, not crush them.

Developers are all people centric now, getting rid of the control freak lone wolves. Its a radical change and Microsoft a seeing the benefits with much more user and developer friendly software.
Old 28-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacelad197o View Post
If your PC is relatively new, then it should have a TPM. I have an Intel i5 6600K and that has a TPM built into the processor -- you just have to enable it in the BIOS. This is what I did.

What processor/motherboard do you have?

My PC technically isn't compatible (because of the age of the processor) but I used a workaround to install Windows 11 on it and it works perfectly well. I reckon that as they allow more processors to be tested they'll broaden the spec for it.
Old 28-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
If your PC is relatively new, then it should have a TPM. I have an Intel i5 6600K and that has a TPM built into the processor -- you just have to enable it in the BIOS. This is what I did.

My PC technically isn't compatible (because of the age of the processor) but I used a workaround to install Windows 11 on it and it works perfectly well. I reckon that as they allow more processors to be tested they'll broaden the spec for it.
there are several versions of TPM. Some feature will need the later version. That said, I'm sure it simply doesn't matter for most.
Old 28-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
there are several versions of TPM. Some feature will need the later version. That said, I'm sure it simply doesn't matter for most.
Most processors going back to 2015 have TPM 2.0 modules included in the processor architecture. As I said, my i5 6600K did. Your old 6700K did too.

This is partly a problem with Microsoft's shoddy communication around Windows 11 support. It resulted in TPM 2.0 modules being scalped online, when a lot of people with computers that aren't that old actually had TPM 2.0 already.

I very nearly spent £20 on a TPM 2.0 component for my motherboard until I did a bit more research into it. The fact you have to enter the BIOS menu is going to be the greatest challenge for many inexperienced users though.
Old 28-07-2021, 10:44 AM
Born in South London

gcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is here
I must admit I had never heard of TPM until I read about Windows 11. I mainly use Linux on my computers so I wondered if it was supported. Apparently I have version 1.2 running under Kubuntu. I presume there will eventually be issues for older machines running Linux. Or is it just a Microsoft thing?
Old 28-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Born in South London

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post

Is that something like To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 28-07-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Is that something like To view the link you have to Register or Login
That looks nice and easy
Old 28-07-2021, 01:32 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yep, in the old days from a home perspective I have always tried to stick to the skip every other new MS OS rule since that Windows ME shambles and has served me well so far So from XP then 7 now 10.

But as has been mentioned by others here I think the way this is being approached is that its more like thinking new iterations will be free "updates" rather than having to fork out for a new OS.

I suppose I will upgrade (after checking my hardware) while the "free year" period lasts - looks like it will be 2022 to 2023, and from experience going for the end of that period to let everyone else test it/get patched first
Old 28-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Born in South London

I'd forgotten about Windows ME. There was confusion with Windows 2000 which was really NT5.

I remember when we upgraded our office from 95 to 2000 telling the users that it would be better and faster. Surprise surprise it wasn't all that. It was noticeably slower.
Old 28-07-2021, 02:06 PM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
WSL was a huge change in direction from Microsoft. It’s funny seeing Apple now consolidating their position by stifling innovation
Old 28-07-2021, 02:53 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
My newish ex office Dell PC wasn't showing a TPM capability but in the BIOS it was just disabled and an easy fix to re-enable it. I'm not desperate for Win 11 as Win 10 has worked well for me but if the ability to run Android Aps without an emulator works well then that would tempt me.
Old 28-07-2021, 03:06 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
Apparently has to be TPM 2.0, not TPM 1.2 which rules out my Processor.

Although some modders already come up with a workaround for TPM 1.2 owners to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement with a registry hack.

Can check if your Computer will work or not by using a program called WHYNOTWIN11. Can find it on majorgeeks as a download. (microsoft taken down their Windows 11 upgrade check utility for now).

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina