Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 18-12-2021, 09:17 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang View Post
Before you jump to conclusions about Mohammed bin Sulayem have a read through his Wikipedia Page:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

When I lived in Dubai I was a member of the Rally Club and met Mohammed many times. He was a very humble guy and went out of his way to help others.

I remember on one rally I rolled my Pajero. I managed to finish in a fairly bent up car and made it back to Parc Ferme. In the club house Mohammed was the first person to come over and ask how me and the co-driver were.

What he said was not unexpected given it was immediately after he was appointed. Reporters looking for a story.

This is what he said in full.

"If there is any breach, there is no forgiveness on this. "We have to improve in every aspect."

"We will look into the rules and make sure that any situation like this that occurs in the future we will have an instant solution for it."

Give him time.
I’m all for giving him time to review and fix the AD GP issue and he did say more, but the quote regarding Hamilton was crass and unthinking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 18-12-2021, 09:27 AM
Thinking

Bintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
I’m all for giving him time to review and fix the AD GP issue and he did say more, but the quote regarding Hamilton was crass and unthinking.
Are you referring to this quote?
"I know Lewis is really sad about what happened. I would say he is broken. But we have to look into if there is any breach. [After] a few hours now as president, I cannot give answers without going back to the facts."

Seems a fair answer IMHO
Old 18-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
The full text of what he said is even worse. Firstly he voluntarily brings up Hamilton and strongly implies Hamilton has "breached" the rules and hence "no forgiveness". Then when asked to clarify he repeats "rules are rules" and most crassly of all he claims Hamilton "is broken" (i.e. mentally weak).

So as newly minted FIA president he has publicly made it his mission to punish Hamilton, which doesn't look at all like a pre-meditated agenda after the manipulated race.

Then later he bizarrely says "It is a responsibility of me that we forget the past but look into it with improvement", which seems to suggest a desire to whitewash what happened whilst trying to ensure they don't get caught out again (a sort of "sorry not sorry").

So if you're a Max cultist a great start for the new man, for thoughtful fans worryingly inauspicious words.
Old 18-12-2021, 09:44 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
"I know Lewis is really sad about what happened. I would say he is broken. But we have to look into if there is any breach. [After] a few hours now as president, I cannot give answers without going back to the facts."

Seems a fair answer IMHO
The full quote section on LH is above. He was asked a simple question on the implications of LH not attending as required of the top 3. Given the circumstances it would have been perfectly sensible for him to say that it was an understandable reaction and leave it at that. But he didn’t.

New leadership has a remit for a new take on things. That was Moseley’s remit after Balestre. I’m not suggesting Todt was bad, he did a lot of good, but last weekend was a nadir for the sport and the initial reaction from the FIA has effectively to blame fans and teams for not understanding the rules! Quote…

The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers’ World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors’ World Championship title won by Mercedes.”

There is a wider quote in Motor Sport from the new leader, and also quotes from Todt saying that the FIA should have delivered punishments for criticism of the FIA during the season.

Todt…

Meanwhile, outgoing President Jean Todt suggested that the FIA should have possibly come down harder on drivers and teams who had criticised the governing body this year.

Wolff and Red Bull boss Christian Horner, amongst others, have had harsh words for the FIA over some incidents this year.

Todt used an example from the French football league this year, comparing it to F1 in his speech.

“I was reading today in the French sport magazine, L’Equipe, the president of the Lyon Football Club, which is one of the most important teams,” Todt said.

“He has been forbidden for 10 games, because he spoke badly about the referee. So maybe we have been too permissive, you know.

“I feel it is important to have a dialogue between the governing body, between the teams, between the drivers, between the commercial rights holders. But it should not go against us.

“In the heat of the action, you have your own feeling. But on the other side, you have the race director, you have the stewards, and you have a lot of organisation. And are we perfect? We’re not perfect.”

The other Sulyamen quote…

At the end of the day, rules are rules,” he said during his first press conference after being elected.

“So we are going to look into the side of where the technical rules are there to be employed and was he in breach? I have to look into it.

“Of course, we’ll have to be also be following our rules. But in the meanwhile, it doesn’t stop us from making a champion feel good about the sport, you know.

“It’s easy to be nice to people. And it is cheap to be nice. And it’s also to motivate people. But definitely, if there is any breach, there is no forgiveness in this.”

Sulayem conceded that this is an exceptional circumstance for Hamilton, whilst still emphasising the regulations would be followed.

“Forgiveness is always there, but rules are rules. We look at the rules.

“And I always say: rules are not made. A human made them…and they can be improved and changed by humans. So the rules are there to be improved.

“I know that Lewis is really sad about what happened and one word I would say is he’s broken. But we have to look if there was any breach.

“I cannot [say for now]. It’s just a few hours now I’ve been a president, and I’ve just started”

The FIA has always had a sanctimonious and self important streak and at the moment it still doesn’t seem to be changing that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 18-12-2021, 09:54 AM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:

Seems a fair answer IMHO
Describing Lewis as "broken" strongly implies there's something wrong with him that needs fixing. He later patronisingly says "As a driver, I would be so upset for a while but time is a fact that will cool". Of course, the way to help someone who is "sad" and "so upset" overcome being "broken" is to state the very first thing you are going to do is punish them because "rules are rules", like the very ones Masi omitted to follow a few days ago.
Old 18-12-2021, 10:05 AM
Not Tommy Robinson's Dad

Quote:
President Jean Todt suggested that the FIA should have possibly come down harder on drivers and teams who had criticised the governing body this year.

Wolff and Red Bull boss Christian Horner, amongst others, have had harsh words for the FIA over some incidents this year.

The FIA has always had a sanctimonious and self important streak and at the moment it still doesn’t seem to be changing that.
I have no issue with Horner or Wolff having harsh words for the FIA (or each other). It is healthy for the sport to be introspective and allow people to provide commentary without fear of persecution. The line of course is when accusations of malpractice are made (like Horner has repeatedly fired at Mercedes) where no evidence is offered. That's the example Todt references in French football - unsubstantiated accusations of malpractice. But it is clear, as I wrote a page or two back, these people want to crush all dissent. And the only reason you'd do that as an organisation is if you know you are making decisions that will provoke controversy.
Old 23-12-2021, 12:07 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
For anyone interested in F1 from the past here's a truly excellent interview with Steve Nichols one of the key designers of the legendary McLaren MP4/4

The interview is framed mainly as a debunking to the very much more famous Gordon Murray and his claims that he designed the MP4/4.

There's a longer version coming out on Boxing Day, which promises a lot more stories and anecdotes.

It's a fascinating interview, well worth investing some time to watch, if only to see and hear the MP4/4 being given an outing.

I hope you enjoy.
Old 23-12-2021, 07:38 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
For anyone interested in F1 from the past here's a truly excellent interview with Steve Nichols one of the key designers of the legendary McLaren MP4/4

The interview is framed mainly as a debunking to the very much more famous Gordon Murray and his claims that he designed the MP4/4.

There's a longer version coming out on Boxing Day, which promises a lot more stories and anecdotes.

It's a fascinating interview, well worth investing some time to watch, if only to see and hear the MP4/4 being given an outing.

I hope you enjoy.
Good interview 👍

Though I think the majority of people know or accept that SN designed the 4/4 anyway.

Pleased to have my signed Matthew Jeffrey’s Senna MP4 8/3 and Ronnie Peterson Lotus 72 prints on the wall
Old 24-12-2021, 09:46 AM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation

So Toto just wants you not to hear his efforts to control ... how dishonest!
Hey how about the club could invent a little plastic card that you could have in your wallet to access games and maybe it could even come in a little wallet of its own, now that would be really convenient .... just a thought !
Old 24-12-2021, 09:48 AM

Ben H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBen H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile View Post

So Toto just wants you not to hear his efforts to control ... how dishonest!
I read that too. A bit of a joke. I don't think any lobbying should be allowed...it's a corrupt way of a running a race. Referee's decision should be final.

Last edited by Ben H; 24-12-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 24-12-2021, 10:44 AM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Should be interesting to see the first cars come out ..

Hey how about the club could invent a little plastic card that you could have in your wallet to access games and maybe it could even come in a little wallet of its own, now that would be really convenient .... just a thought !
Old 24-12-2021, 08:07 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
I read that too. A bit of a joke. I don't think any lobbying should be allowed...it's a corrupt way of a running a race. Referee's decision should be final.
Toto calling for a ban, when the FIA have already said team principles won’t be allowed to talk live to race direction from next season, so not much chance of anything being broadcast