Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 01-10-2022, 03:59 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Nope, that makes him an arsehole, first thing I said. Meanwhile the Exxon, She'll and BP top boys are "doing bits" that actually kill the life on this planet. He's stuck a knife into that lot and things are changing. Good.

I'm wondering what your agenda is actually.
I have no agenda. I just think itís somewhat depressing that you give Elon Musk a free pass to be racist, transphobic & misogynistic as long as he carries on making electric cars.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:08 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
Patents have nothing to do with technical innovation, they are just a business strategy used to create barriers to competition.

Apple took out a patent on the rounded corners of a phone and won a $1B law suit, spot the innovation there please.
Never have I heard such complete shit, honestly you haven't a ******* clue and actually your verbal bollocks pisses me off.

If someone invents something they rightly should have ownership of that invention. If the patent office allows the patent then that is where the fault is but I'd imagine you've not looked at that patent and don't know the reasoning they've put into it.

I owe my livelihood to this sort of thing like many people; My employer is in engineering and invented the first touch trigger probe for industrial metrology. The outcome 50 years on is Gloucestershire's biggest employer and a billion dollar company. Had there been no patent protection what would be the point? Just copy something and market the idea better than the small start up who invented it, then crush them. Nobody would bother to innovate a damn thing, it's patents that create innovation. Duh.

EDIT: Gallagher just scored before I wrote this, but I'm sticking with it anyway

Last edited by Spindle; 01-10-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I have no agenda. I just think it’s somewhat depressing that you give Elon Musk a free pass to be racist, transphobic & misogynistic as long as he carries on making electric cars.

What a fookin snowflake you are. How do you cope in the world? There's no free pass anymore than you. Why don't you tell us all what efforts you've made to counter Musk so we can see what a hero you are. All I can see is you going around pointing your finger at anyone and everyone like some triggered SJW. Anyone else on your wanted list?

Last edited by Spindle; 01-10-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:19 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Quote:
Sorry but solid state batteries are going to be a big disappointment. I would love to be wrong but it doesn't look good at the moment. Graphene is the new wonder battery dream.
Whatever, I mentioned solid state but equally it could be graphene or anything else. There's a lot of money and growth in EV's so someone will crack the range anxiety hurdle.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:59 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
What a fookin snowflake you are. How do you cope in the world? There's no free pass anymore than you. Why don't you tell us all what efforts you've made to counter Musk so we can see what a hero you are. All I can see is you going around pointing your finger at anyone and everyone like some triggered SJW. Anyone else on your wanted list?
Iíll put this down to you having a bad day.

Weíve engaged on a number of topics before - on some we agree, on some we donít. This style of posting really doesnít flatter you, Spindle.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:06 AM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Weíve engaged on a number of topics before - on some we agree, on some we donít. This style of posting really doesnít flatter you, Spindle.
I've had my run ins with Spindle's posting style but check the time of his post and when the game ended...
Old 02-10-2022, 10:36 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipw View Post
I've had my run ins with Spindle's posting style but check the time of his post and when the game ended...

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 02-10-2022, 12:35 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
One of the main reasons I cancelled my Model 3 order four years ago and went for the Kona instead was Musk's increasingly erratic behaviour and his seeming closeness to the orange one. However, as someone pointed out at the time, it's not as if we know the political views and social pecadillos of the leaders of Hyundai - it's just that they don't plaster it all over Twitter. We also know that VW are planet and tax dodgers.

Still, glad I made my decision. Never regretted it.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:29 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Quote:

Perhaps you shouldn't go around making accusations. Good luck in your crusade to tackle someone who is occasionally an arsehole but in the grand scheme of things has probably saved a lot of species from extinction
Old 02-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Quote:
Not to do with it fella. He's calling me out for not attacking Musk and won't tell us what actions he's taken. Total prick.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:39 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford triumph View Post
One of the main reasons I cancelled my Model 3 order four years ago and went for the Kona instead was Musk's increasingly erratic behaviour and his seeming closeness to the orange one. However, as someone pointed out at the time, it's not as if we know the political views and social pecadillos of the leaders of Hyundai - it's just that they don't plaster it all over Twitter. We also know that VW are planet and tax dodgers.

Still, glad I made my decision. Never regretted it.
Am sure Hyundai good - after a month, delighted with my Tesla Y. Yesterday's 200 mile round trip to Selhurst cost me £7 versus £45 in the old car. And that included the return trip with some erratic and fast driving after the result ...Don't like Musk (or the fact car built in China) but overlooked that due to tech superiority, performance and range (almost 350 miles in town at 100% charge)

Last edited by Philipw; 02-10-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:52 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Quote:
Am sure Hyundai good - after a month, delighted with my Tesla Y. Yesterday's 200 mile round trip to Selhurst cost me £7 versus £45 in the old car. And that included the return trip with some erratic and fast driving after the result ...Don't like Musk (or the fact car built in China) but overlooked that due to tech superiority and range (almost 350 miles in town at 100% charge)
Totally understand that reasoning. If my kids were younger and had to be ferried around, Kona probably would be a bit small for us. But 65k miles and still going strong and has all the tech we need.

I had to hire a Zipvan yesterday - diesel VW Transporter - and I had forgotten what hard work it is to drive conventional vehicles, particularly in the terrible traffic yesterday. The Kona and other EVs are so relaxing to drive in comparison.

In the Kona, stick it into drive with second level of brake regeneration, use autohold and sometimes adaptive cruise and it pretty much drives itself with very little need for manual braking or any other intervention other than steering. In contrast, the Transporter was incredibly hard work, changing gear all the time, using manual handbrake on slight inclines, no engine braking, feeling a big jolt everytime the engine came back to life after stop/start transition. I was exhausted after the journey!
Old 02-10-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Totally understand that reasoning. If my kids were younger and had to be ferried around, Kona probably would be a bit small for us. But 65k miles and still going strong and has all the tech we need.

I had to hire a Zipvan yesterday - diesel VW Transporter - and I had forgotten what hard work it is to drive conventional vehicles, particularly in the terrible traffic yesterday. The Kona and other EVs are so relaxing to drive in comparison.

In the Kona, stick it into drive with second level of brake regeneration, use autohold and sometimes adaptive cruise and it pretty much drives itself with very little need for manual braking or any other intervention other than steering. In contrast, the Transporter was incredibly hard work, changing gear all the time, using manual handbrake on slight inclines, no engine braking, feeling a big jolt everytime the engine came back to life after stop/start transition. I was exhausted after the journey!
Me too yesterday... but that was a result of the train strike adding almost an hour to the journey to the game and rushing of straight off after as was pissed off by the result
Old 02-10-2022, 07:52 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
Patents have nothing to do with technical innovation, they are just a business strategy used to create barriers to competition.

Apple took out a patent on the rounded corners of a phone and won a $1B law suit, spot the innovation there please.
Sounds just like Musks asthetic design of charging point on a Tesla.

Depends what the patent is for as we can see from the above , youve got Musk on the nose.
However if they are for technology advancement....
Old 02-10-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Sounds just like Musks asthetic design of charging point on a Tesla.

Depends what the patent is for as we can see from the above , youve got Musk on the nose.
However if they are for technology advancement....
without patents to stop others copying, a lot of innovation would never happen as research costs make it uneconomic.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:55 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Anti EV in what way?
The usual, lack of charging ports, poor range, fear of it blowing up. All things I've now researched and realised complete nonsense if you're organised
Old 03-10-2022, 07:28 AM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Never have I heard such complete shit, honestly you haven't a ******* clue and actually your verbal bollocks pisses me off.

If someone invents something they rightly should have ownership of that invention. If the patent office allows the patent then that is where the fault is but I'd imagine you've not looked at that patent and don't know the reasoning they've put into it.

I owe my livelihood to this sort of thing like many people; My employer is in engineering and invented the first touch trigger probe for industrial metrology. The outcome 50 years on is Gloucestershire's biggest employer and a billion dollar company. Had there been no patent protection what would be the point? Just copy something and market the idea better than the small start up who invented it, then crush them. Nobody would bother to innovate a damn thing, it's patents that create innovation. Duh.

EDIT: Gallagher just scored before I wrote this, but I'm sticking with it anyway
You work for GCHQ????

The EV salary sacrifice lease scheme at my work is off the ground now, should be live just after Xmas. I'll be picking out the colour of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 shortly.

And then waiting until 2026 for delivery.

Last edited by tasty_snacks; 03-10-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:59 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:

My, you are an angry man. Are you aware of how many patents are inventions and how many are only incremental advances on current technology that most in the relevant field could develop? Of course creative inventions should be rewarded, but they are a vanishingly small percentage of patents. The patent system is a failure and I stand by my comments. Rewarding real inventions is a worthwhile objective and there is a case that it is essential for progress, but an alternative system needs to be developed as what we have now is clearly a failure.