Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 29-03-2021, 08:54 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
The Boro away game was the last game I missed that season.

Interesting to note at the end of the article with Thomas quoted, more confirmation that everyone in football even at this late stage, accepted that third position meant European qualification.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 30-03-2021, 06:20 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Week ending 30 March 1991 saw three new entries into the top ten:

Let There Be Love by Simple Minds - Simple Minds had broken through into the global stadium circuit in the late 80s with their album Once Upon A Time and single Don't You Forget About Me, which were both massive hits in the US. Unlike their contemporaries U2 though they never really consolidated on the back of that and their career gradually waned thereafter (certainly in terms of volumes sold, they remained a popular live act). Anyway my older sister liked them but I didn't and I have no recollection of this song.

Sit Down by James - James had been on the circuit for a decade or so before this breakthrough smash, gradually building up a loyal live following but failing to trouble the scorers much in terms of chart success. The band's story up to this point had included drug addition, criminality, religious cults, and at one stage some of the members even resorted to participating in medical trials in order to supplement their meagre income. I always found this song rather irritating, it has a miserable sort of sub-Morrissey moroseness to it and I have a prejudice against songs where the second verse is half the length of the first, lazy songwriting (I expect someone will tell me now that the single version was edited down in length).

Secret Love by Bee Gees - the warbling brothers had enjoyed a surprise comeback number one smash a few years previously with You Win Again, this song was of a similar ilk but somewhat less successful, peaking at number 5. The Bee Gees are what they are really, there can be few people who have them top of their list of favourite acts but there is nothing to particularly dislike about them. Or I should say him these days as two of the three brothers are now deceased.

Footnote on James: I was a massive Carter USM fan around this time, they had released their second album 30 Something earlier in 1991 and were breaking through into the wider consciousness helped by the re-release of Sheriff Fatman. Somehow James got the Saturday night headliner slot at Reading 1991, largely on the back of Sit Down's unexpected success. Carter were second on the bill and there was no way I was going to miss them performing at an outdoor festival. The timing was perfect for their set, they had splashed out on an even larger than usual bank of white lights and they started as dusk was setting on the site. They nailed it and James had a tough act to follow, not helped by the fact that they'd really only had one proper hit by that point. The sizeable number of people in the crowd who were not James fans (like me) just wanted them to do the hit so we could all bugger off. Of course the bastards left it to the end of their set as you would expect, it seemed to take forever. Also appearing very low on the bill that year were a largely unknown Nirvana, who I didn't think much of. Shows what I know.
Old 30-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Week ending 30 March 1991 saw three new entries into the top ten:

Let There Be Love by Simple Minds - I didn't and I have no recollection of this song.

Secret Love by Bee Gees

Also appearing very low on the bill that year were a largely unknown Nirvana, who I didn't think much of. Shows what I know.
I pride myself on my 80s chart knowledge but your comments on this post highlight that by '91, I was not quite as fussed about music and almost solely devoted to the Palace. Cannot remember that Bee Gees song at all, or the Simple Minds one and I quite liked Simple Minds as well - not my favourite band but a solid 7/10 for sure.

As for Nirvana, that's fascinating - barely four months later and they were massive!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:41 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Bipe! Man City *cough* *cough* April 1st *cough* *cough*

Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Bipe! Man City *cough* *cough* April 1st *cough* *cough*
Shit, forgot about the Easter games. Busy doing dinner at the moment, will be on it later!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:47 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
IIRC Quinn's hat-trick was the perfect one - header, left foot, right foot.

Which proves he was as good a striker as Danny Butterfield

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:04 PM

So profuse and sincere apologies to one and all, I've let you down, I've let this forum down but most of all I've let myself down. It will not and cannot happen again.

I had forgotten that the Sunderland game was on the Easter Saturday and therefore we had another game just two days later, at home to Manchester City. We were looking to get the show back on the road but it wasn't to be, as already mentioned Niall Quinn was in fine form to destroy us with a well taken hat-trick. As I recall we were 3-0 down by relatively early in the second half so a real damp squib of a game, Salako giving us no more than a late consolation. Quinn always seemed to play well against us, he was a quality player in that era with good ability on the ground as well as a fearsome header of the ball due to his height. Similar traits to Mark Bright I guess. Shortly after this season he made Kevin Phillips' dreams come true with a partnership made in heaven up at Sunderland.

So anyway two defeats on the bounce now and the jib was up, we now needed to simply focus all our efforts on retaining third spot and securing that much coveted UEFA Cup slot for the following season.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:15 PM

PALACE 1. Salako
MAN CITY 3. Quinn 3

Att: 18,001

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: McGoldrick (for Pardew). Bodin (unused)

Man C: Coton Harper Pointon Redmond Brightwell Ward White Brennan Reid Heath Quinn

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 04-04-2021, 05:00 AM

This one hurt. I don’t remember too much about the game other than the galling feeling of watching Quinn wheel away delighted after each goal with an almost shocked look on his face. We were a big scalp in those days. Peter Reid must’ve been at least 53 by then and somehow was still able to pull the strings.

Looking back you do wonder how much our Wembley final appearance in 6 days time affected this and the Sunderland result. As a player it must be in the back of your mind not to get injured and risk missing out on such a big occasion. Which makes the previous seasons meaningless league games in the run up to the FA Cup Final all the more perplexing, especially the Wimbledon game where we literally went to war with them 10 days before the FA Cup Final!

Anyway, a poor result and the first back to back defeats that season, which was a feat in itself. Notice that we sported I think for the first time the slightly altered sponsorship on our shirts. In the next couple of days I’ll add my newspaper previews I still have of the forthcoming Zenith Data Systems Final.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:25 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
It was a defeat we had them that season. This one though was hard to take. Man City dominated for a long period. Quinns performance was spectacular though hard to take and I for one did not appreciate at the time. Third it is then if we dont fall away and the feeling after this game was we could well do. Seemed like we were running out of gas.

But North West London calls third time in two years. I had the tickets in a simple turn up wait in not to long a queue on what was a pleasent day. After the all night and half night the previous season it was almost civilised. Ended up buying three tickets. Had the season tickets gor a couple of friends.
Work had eased slightly and was time to relax a little so was glad of the break. However it also gave me time to think. On the way back from picking up tickets did the first look at new houses for sale just a drive round the estate. No kids or wife with me was rare chance. During the next season early on we moved house but it started then not that the wife knew that at the time.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Looking at that league table - 9 points clear of Leeds having played 3 games more. That 2-1 win at Elland Road was pivotal. Imagine only being 3 clear and them with 3 in hand - we would have been hard pushed to keep 3rd.

Also fascinating that we'd played 3 games more than them PLUS all those games/attempted games with Forest PLUS the ZDS run.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:34 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
[QUOTE=bubbs11;15728737]

Headline exposes flaw in newspaper's grammar.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:19 PM

Zenith Data Systems Final PREVIEW

This article was featured in the paper on the eve of the final. Prophetic as a year later Liverpool’s new manager Graeme Souness was struck down with severe heart issues needing a triple heart by pass.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM

Interesting to read those articles. Although the ZDS final was obviously a less prestigious game than either the League Cup or FA Cup, there was still something of a buzz around Croydon in the week leading up to the game and as mentioned the more open sale of tickets meant most people had the opportunity to be there. We certainly turned up in greater numbers than Everton, who were more indifferent to the tournament as seasoned members of the 'big five' at the time - only a few years previously they had briefly been the dominant force in the game with two league wins, an FA Cup and a Cup Winners' Cup in the space of four seasons. Although they had gone off the boil a bit since then they were big spenders in an attempt to recapture those glories.

I remember approaching the game with a feeling of confidence, I saw us as Everton's equals and if we were on our game there was no reason to fear them at all. It was a different feeling to the FA Cup final a year previously - that was much more about the occasion and soaking up the experience, this time the focus was very much on winning a game of football.

Also love Coppell's quotes, particularly 'we are not thugs and I hope Sunday will prove it'...I will check back in later with my recollections of the game itself but for now suffice to say that we left our mark on one or two Everton players!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Martin Keown's nose was introduced to Geoff Thomas' elbow.

Keown got his own back in the league game at Selhurst where he assaulted Eric Young.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:36 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
Martin Keown's nose was introduced to Geoff Thomas' elbow.

Keown got his own back in the league game at Selhurst where he assaulted Eric Young.
Then got sent off
Old 06-04-2021, 05:28 PM

So let's get down to brass tacks then...7 April 1991, Palace 4 Everton 1 (AET)

It was a typically fresh early April day, somewhat overcast with the threat of rain in the air which would materialise during the match. Wikipedia has the attendance as 52,460 and Palace must have taken nearly two thirds of those, the 'open to all' ticketing policy providing a great opportunity for those who had missed out on the FA Cup final the previous year plus friends and family etc to enjoy the occasion.

It was a highly competitive and, as mentioned above, at times a physical encounter. Palace certainly gave no quarter and our players, roared on by the huge support, made sure their Everton counterparts knew they were in a game. I note from Wiki that the pitch had hosted an American Football match the previous day, hadn't remembered this but thinking about it now there were some faint white line markings from this on the turf.

Geoff Thomas broke the deadlock midway through the second half, heading home from a Salako corner, but Everton equalised almost immediately through recent Polish signing Robert Warzycha and the game went to extra time. This time we were not to be denied. Wright finished superbly from Martyn's long kick, Salako headed the third and them Wright again put the icing on the cake a few minutes before the finish for an ultimately convincing 4-1 win. In a nice touch Coppell brought on Garry Thompson for the final couple of minutes, he had served us well as a stand-in for the Wright and Bright double act and it was pleasing to see him as part of the squad.

Cue wild celebrations among the Palace faithful, yes it was the poor relation in terms of trophies but this felt like vindication for the traumas of a year previously and the great strides the team had made in the league this season. The players enjoyed it every bit as much as the fans, making the most of their celebration time on the pitch as the Everton end rapidly emptied. In all the commotion it was noted that the Everton goalie Neville Southall had for some reason decided not to join his team-mates in going up to accept their runners-up medals, instead deciding on some form of bizarre sit-down protest in his goalmouth. I never found out what that was all about.

At the time it still felt like this could be the start of something, with UEFA Cup qualification seemingly well within our grasp. As it turned out it was more like the end, 18 months later and we were struggling against relegation with Wright, Bright and Gray all gone, Salako badly injured and Thomas a shadow of his former glory.

But great memories nonetheless, as fans we had made a day of it and the players gave us everything they needed for a win which I still hold in great affection as the pinnacle of this team, Mickey Mouse cup or not.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:33 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
So let's get down to brass tacks then...7 April 1991, Palace 4 Everton 1 (AET)

It was a typically fresh early April day, somewhat overcast with the threat of rain in the air which would materialise during the match. Wikipedia has the attendance as 52,460 and Palace must have taken nearly two thirds of those, the 'open to all' ticketing policy providing a great opportunity for those who had missed out on the FA Cup final the previous year plus friends and family etc to enjoy the occasion.

It was a highly competitive and, as mentioned above, at times a physical encounter. Palace certainly gave no quarter and our players, roared on by the huge support, made sure their Everton counterparts knew they were in a game. I note from Wiki that the pitch had hosted an American Football match the previous day, hadn't remembered this but thinking about it now there were some faint white line markings from this on the turf.

Geoff Thomas broke the deadlock midway through the second half, heading home from a Salako corner, but Everton equalised almost immediately through recent Polish signing Robert Warzycha and the game went to extra time. This time we were not to be denied. Wright finished superbly from Martyn's long kick, Salako headed the third and them Wright again put the icing on the cake a few minutes before the finish for an ultimately convincing 4-1 win. In a nice touch Coppell brought on Garry Thompson for the final couple of minutes, he had served us well as a stand-in for the Wright and Bright double act and it was pleasing to see him as part of the squad.

Cue wild celebrations among the Palace faithful, yes it was the poor relation in terms of trophies but this felt like vindication for the traumas of a year previously and the great strides the team had made in the league this season. The players enjoyed it every bit as much as the fans, making the most of their celebration time on the pitch as the Everton end rapidly emptied. In all the commotion it was noted that the Everton goalie Neville Southall had for some reason decided not to join his team-mates in going up to accept their runners-up medals, instead deciding on some form of bizarre sit-down protest in his goalmouth. I never found out what that was all about.

At the time it still felt like this could be the start of something, with UEFA Cup qualification seemingly well within our grasp. As it turned out it was more like the end, 18 months later and we were struggling against relegation with Wright, Bright and Gray all gone, Salako badly injured and Thomas a shadow of his former glory.

But great memories nonetheless, as fans we had made a day of it and the players gave us everything they needed for a win which I still hold in great affection as the pinnacle of this team, Mickey Mouse cup or not.
A great day. I finally got to celebrate a Palace win at Wembley with my Dad - regardless that it was 'just' the ZDS Cup, that moment will live with me forever.

Ahead of the game, I properly remember being worried about the pace of Robert Warzycha. I needn't have worried
Old 06-04-2021, 07:28 PM

Expanding a little on my comment about whether this could / should have been the start of something for us...bear in mind that we ended the season above a Leeds team who would go on to win the league the following year. If you'd had to pick a combined XI at the time (i.e. not with the benefit of hindsight), then how many Leeds players would have got in? Certainly not Lukic over Martyn in goal, and not Chapman / Wallace over Wright and Bright up front. Dorigo at left back is an obvious one, he was a class act and somewhat ahead of his time as an attacking full-back who could whip in dangerous crosses. Wright and Bright would have thrived off his deliveries. At centre half it was a close call, we had Thorn and Young whereas they had a similarly physical pairing in Whyte and Fairclough. Mel Sterland at right-back was hardly an upgrade on John Humphrey even if he did chip in with regular goals.

Midfield was probably the most interesting area. The old schemer Strachan would be ahead of McGoldrick, but on the other flank Salako was probably seen as having greater potential than Speed at the time. In the middle, hindsight tells us that Batty and McAllister ultimately both achieved far more in the game than Thomas and Gray did. But back then Batty was still emerging and McAllister was spending his first season in the top flight at the age of 26 - the archetypal late developer. So how many of us back then would have been prepared to sacrifice Thomas and / or Gray for either of them? Probably not me I have to admit.

As for strength in depth, Leeds were not exactly blessed with squad members either. Attacking options were the veteran journeymen Shutt and Varadi (until Cantona briefly turned up), and other reserves such as Jim Beglin, Chris Kamara and Simon Grayson hardly set the pulses racing.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:07 PM

ZENITH DATA SYSTEMS FINAL

CRYSTAL PALACE 4 Thomas Wright 2. Salako
EVERTON 1 Warzycha

(After Extra Time)

Att: 52,460

Palace: Martyn Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: McGoldrick (for Gray). Thompson. (Young)

Everton: Southall. McDonald. Hinchcliffe. Keown. Watson. Milligan. Warzycha. McCall. Sheedy. Newell. Cottee. Subs: Nevin (Newell). Ratcliffe (for Keown).