Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Fun facts: The first leg of the other semi-final was played on the same night as our game, finishing 3-3 between Leeds and Everton. The second leg was then played just two days later, Everton prevailing 3-1 after extra time. For Everton this was in the middle of a spell of 5 games in 11 games as fixture congestion took its toll.
And my guess is, without looking at the team sheets from that time, that Everton had hardly any squad rotation either.
Old 18-03-2021, 09:39 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
And here's me, still never been to a gig or concert in my life and you were planning on doing two in two nights!
On a couple of occasions I've gone to two concerts on the same night. Both happened to have been The Human League first, then Client afterwards, and both times THL were playing at Shepherds Bush Empire. For the first time I had to leave THL before they'd finished, but the next time Client were on very late so was easy.
Old 18-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Back on topic, it was great to qualify to play at Wembley for the 3rd time in less than a year. I can't say I remember anything about the game itself, although if I watched the goals again it might jog some distant corner of the brain.
Old 19-03-2021, 12:40 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Back on topic, it was great to qualify to play at Wembley for the 3rd time in less than a year. I can't say I remember anything about the game itself, although if I watched the goals again it might jog some distant corner of the brain.
If you scroll to 0:49 of this video I made, you’ll see a quick clip of Wrighty’s goal.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 22-03-2021, 06:46 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
23 March 1991 saw us travel to Elland Road for a key game against Leeds. This was a chance to put clear daylight between us and them, and take a giant step towards a third place finish and UEFA Cup football the following season. The team duly delivered with a hard fought 2-1 win in a pretty intense and physical game, Wright and Salako scoring the goals.

Of course Leeds were the 'coming team' at this time, enjoying an excellent first season back in the top flight after promotion the previous year and just over a year into the future they would be crowned champions. They had an experienced and competitive squad, probably one of the few teams who equalled us in the physicality department with the likes of Whyte, Batty and Chapman all more than happy to leave something in on their opponents. So this win should not be underestimated, and it was our third 2-1 win on the bounce as we recovered well from our dodgy patch in February. It will be interesting to see just how close to the top of the table we were at this late stage, with only 8 games remaining.

We seemed to have a pretty good record up at Elland Road around this era with a few wins springing to mind including Dave Madden's famous dribbly penalty during our 1989 promotion surge.

Last edited by Bipe; 22-03-2021 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 22-03-2021, 07:19 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
LEEDS 1. Speed
PALACE 2. Wright. Salako

Att: 28,556

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray Young. Thorn. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Pardew. Subs: McGoldrick. Thompson. (Unused)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

—————————————————————————

Old 22-03-2021, 07:34 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The result that had me believing we were going to finish top 3. A dodgy spell ended and what seemed like our regular score 2 1. Though that is like the team we all reel off. It was the most played but i am surprised it played so little.
But its the England call ups the only time more than one player in the squad in our history. As we know it reaches 4 by the end of the season. That really shows how good this side was.
Old 22-03-2021, 10:14 AM

David Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to Ollie
We were good that day - matched them in every department. Hits home that they went on to win the league the following year. Love Coppell to death but his recruitment at the end of that season cost us: Sinnott & a young Coleman. Leeds, by contrast, signed Wallace and Dorigo and, later, Cantona and won the league. Gutted.
Old 22-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
We were good that day - matched them in every department. Hits home that they went on to win the league the following year. Love Coppell to death but his recruitment at the end of that season cost us: Sinnott & a young Coleman. Leeds, by contrast, signed Wallace and Dorigo and, later, Cantona and won the league. Gutted.
Slightly remarkable stat but we are the only team in 1991/92 that took more than three points off of that Leeds team (Won at Home, Drew at Elland Road)

The other teams they lost to, Manchester City, Oldham and QPR they beat in the return game (all 4 of their defeat that season were also Away).
Old 22-03-2021, 11:14 AM

It’s funny, after a few years had passed from that season, in my mind’s eye, I thought we pretty much fell away from the top two a lot earlier. It was only a few years ago I went back and looked at the tables again and realised we had got to late March and were still only 5pts behind the leaders, and so still title contenders.

The reality at the time of course felt very different. Both Arsenal and Liverpool had a game in hand and both looked very strong, and the odds of them both losing games and us suddenly hitting another gear, which it didn’t look like we had in us, felt very low.

Still, the facts do not lie; it’s March 23rd and little old Palace are within two wins of leading the table. The following two games would dispel any dream any Palace fan dared to have.

Old 22-03-2021, 11:32 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I was going to make a similar point to Bubbs, surprised to see that we're still only 5 points off top with 8 games to play. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had gone into the two games vs QPR and Arsenal in February with the view that we probably had to win both of them to stand any realistic chance of winning the league. When we took only 1 point from those games it was a case of 'oh well, nice to dream about it but that's it'. Probably the fact that Arsenal had hammered us so comprehensively magnified that feeling, if we had gone down fighting to an unlucky 2-1 defeat or something then the flame might still have flickered.

A couple of other things to note - Pardew kept his place after his midweek ZDS heroics. Again, my memory of this season was that once the midfield four of Salako, Gray, Thomas, McGoldrick became settled, they remained virtually unchanged all season. In fact that was far from the case and Coppell did make regular adjustments. And also worth noting that nobody at this stage had won more away games than us, only Liverpool equalling our tally of 8 wins on the road. A highly impressive effort.

Finally, I had forgotten that this season only two teams got relegated - having tinkered the top division down to 20 teams the powers that be changed their mind and proceeded to bump the numbers back up again. Derby and Sunderland now looking very safe bets for the drop.
Old 22-03-2021, 06:28 PM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Leeds entered the pitch to The Fanfare for the Common Man , still after all these years sticks out in my mind as the most impressive entrance ever .
As an aside, when we scored our second goal a mate of mine went loopy on the terrace and ended up breaking his ankle
Old 22-03-2021, 06:54 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
TBF, Coleman was a signing more for the future and turned out to be a good buy, until he started behaving like a spoilt schoolkid, at the end of his time at Palace.

But Lee Sinnott.........oh dear !
Old 23-03-2021, 03:07 PM

November85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I was going to make a similar point to Bubbs, surprised to see that we're still only 5 points off top with 8 games to play. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had gone into the two games vs QPR and Arsenal in February with the view that we probably had to win both of them to stand any realistic chance of winning the league. When we took only 1 point from those games it was a case of 'oh well, nice to dream about it but that's it'. Probably the fact that Arsenal had hammered us so comprehensively magnified that feeling, if we had gone down fighting to an unlucky 2-1 defeat or something then the flame might still have flickered.

A couple of other things to note - Pardew kept his place after his midweek ZDS heroics. Again, my memory of this season was that once the midfield four of Salako, Gray, Thomas, McGoldrick became settled, they remained virtually unchanged all season. In fact that was far from the case and Coppell did make regular adjustments. And also worth noting that nobody at this stage had won more away games than us, only Liverpool equalling our tally of 8 wins on the road. A highly impressive effort.

Finally, I had forgotten that this season only two teams got relegated - having tinkered the top division down to 20 teams the powers that be changed their mind and proceeded to bump the numbers back up again. Derby and Sunderland now looking very safe bets for the drop.
And when they switched it back and four teams went down a few years later, it was us who finished fourth bottom!
Old 24-03-2021, 07:52 AM

The new entries into the top ten for week ending 23 March 1991 were certainly an eclectic bunch:

Rhythm Of My Heart by Rod Stewart - unlike his contemporaries David Bowie and Elton John, by this stage of his career Rod had long since given up any pretence of innovation or experimentation and instead had settled into artistically limited but lucrative rut of churning out bland AOR such as this. It was hard to imagine anyone under the age of 50 liking it let alone buying it. The addition of bagpipes into the track was a cynical play for the Scottish vote from the born and bred Londoner which worked well - it got to number 3 and stayed there for 3 weeks.

The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes - I never quite got my head around what propelled this song to number 1 (it stayed there for 5 weeks and was the 7th best selling single of the year). Some sort of Roger Daltrey movie tie-in from what I can recall, I never paid much attention to it. The song itself would have lent itself quite well to a Coke advert of the era, all inspiring lyrics and radio friendly chunky guitar chords. He had a couple of minor follow up hits and then quick sunk back into obscurity.

Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) / How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? by Pet Shop Boys - whilst never being an outright fan of PSB I have always admired their arch take on synth pop and their way around a melody, they have delivered some truly memorable tunes over the years. By contrast I loathe U2 so this song left me somewhat torn. But definitely better than the original and the segway into the Frankie Valli classic was a typically knowing touch which worked well.

Last edited by Bipe; 24-03-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 24-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I didn't do many away games in 1990-91. As I think I mentioned before, non-home game weekends were generally taken up visiting my then girlfriend (now ex-wife) who was still at the University where we met.

But as that University was Leeds, I did go to this one.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 25-03-2021, 10:21 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bitter sweet memory for me this one. Got the shit kicked out of me on the Friday afternoon (I sort of deserved it but it was somewhat over and above what would have been acceptable force) and subsequently didn't go to the pub on Friday....the night my year-long crush finally became single and was in need of cheering up! The one night I truly should have been in the pub. FFS.

Spent Saturday in bed, battered and bruised but that Salako goal at the end certainly cheered me up. Was a much needed morale booster. Thanks JS!
Old 25-03-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The new entries into the top ten for week ending 23 March 1991 were certainly an eclectic bunch:

Rhythm Of My Heart by Rod Stewart - unlike his contemporaries David Bowie and Elton John, by this stage of his career Rod had long since given up any pretence of innovation or experimentation and instead had settled into artistically limited but lucrative rut of churning out bland AOR such as this. It was hard to imagine anyone under the age of 50 liking it let alone buying it. The addition of bagpipes into the track was a cynical play for the Scottish vote from the born and bred Londoner which worked well - it got to number 3 and stayed there for 3 weeks.

The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes - I never quite got my head around what propelled this song to number 1 (it stayed there for 5 weeks and was the 7th best selling single of the year). Some sort of Roger Daltrey movie tie-in from what I can recall, I never paid much attention to it. The song itself would have lent itself quite well to a Coke advert of the era, all inspiring lyrics and radio friendly chunky guitar chords. He had a couple of minor follow up hits and then quick sunk back into obscurity.

Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) / How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? by Pet Shop Boys - whilst never being an outright fan of PSB I have always admired their arch take on synth pop and their way around a melody, they have delivered some truly memorable tunes over the years. By contrast I loathe U2 so this song left me somewhat torn. But definitely better than the original and the segway into the Frankie Valli classic was a typically knowing touch which worked well.
Great review of these songs, as ever, mate. Rod Stewart and his Scottish 'thing' - how did that actually start? I know he's big on Celtic and the Scottish team in general but what's his actual connection to Scotland?

PSB - loved them from day one although this is a song I forget about which is a shame really as it's a great pop tune. Need to get that blasting on Alexa later

And talking of pop tunes, I never fully liked that Chesney song at the time yet as the years go by I can appreciate why it did so well. It was a well put together piece of pop, nothing more than that but the tune is catchy and the hook is memorable. Would be the sort of song that would have won Eurovision then and even now to a degree - not necessarily the best song but one that can be instantly memorable and in a contest like that, those songs often win.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:06 PM

In the news this week 30 years ago...

An inquest in Sheffield into the Hillsborough disaster records a verdict of accidental death on the 95 people who died.

John Major announces the abolition of the Community Charge

Manchester United sign Soviet winger Andrei Kanchelskis, 22, from FC Shakhtar Donetsk for £1million.

Ossie Ardiles leaves Swindon Town to become the new manager of Newcastle United following the resignation of Jim Smith.

Old 25-03-2021, 12:41 PM

Rod Stewart's dad was Scottish so to be fair there was some sort of connection there. However I believe he flutter around from club to club as a 'supporter' before eventually settling on Celtic relatively late in life. Inevitably, the Wankers were one of the sides who received his allegiance for a while.

I guess the poll tax riots have some resonance with current news headlines. Anything up to half a million people there depending on what estimate you believe, it was carnage but it focussed the politicians' minds alright. The power of non-peaceful protest.

Kanchelskis took a little while to become a first team regular for the Wankers, Ferguson bedded him in gradually. He played on the final game of that season against us, a match we will come to in a few weeks. Later on in his career there was a strong rumour that he was living in East Grinstead, on the Herontye estate, which was where I happened to be living at the time. He was playing for Rangers at the time and the story was that he commuted up there from Gatwick Airport. Always seemed a bit too bizarre to be true, although in those days footballers living in relatively modest homes was still not that uncommon. I remember Cantona being stalked by the press in front of a very ordinary looking house when the whole Kung Fu kick thing blew up.