Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-04-2021, 10:26 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

1-0

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 06-04-2021, 10:32 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here

2-1

3-1

4-1

Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 PM

Old 06-04-2021, 10:58 PM

Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 PM

Old 06-04-2021, 11:08 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Its pretty much summed up by Bipe. Ended up at Wembley with the guy who had been part of my Palace adventures for 20 years. Not possible for the Cup Final.
It was not the most prestigious final but it was Wembley. Just being there far outnumbering Everton fans the game the result was all part of a great day. The sub of Gary Thompson showed that the team was a squad all pulling tigether. It was the highlight of the season as a single game. But that helped no league points at stake.
Latter the season handbook had a photo of the crowd that day. In the middle there is me and my mate. One of very few of us together at a game.
That day that moment all was right in the world both Palace and at a personal level. The challenges of life the work put in. The kids the house the job. Seemed then like Palace recovering from the disasters of TV the team of the 80s break up recovering the position in Division One and then the Cup Final. Seemed to match my own struggles through Thatchers 80s and coming out the other side.
Little then did I know the struggles ahead would be far more challenging in the next 10 years than the previous ten personally and for the club.
But that day that moment with Geoff cup aloft everything was right in the world. Celebrate wuth the team then off to sink a pint or two.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:08 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Thanks N Herts, really interesting to have read on this thread how your personal journey was intertwined with Palace's fortunes over the course of this season. There was definitely a sense of fulfillment that day, even though it was only the ZDS it symbolised something about the club's changing status (or so we thought).

Onto more prosaic matters and that line from Mike Milligan has me scratching my head..."You want to see the state of Martin's face. He will be in the zoo next." Anyone??
Old 07-04-2021, 06:17 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Thanks N Herts, really interesting to have read on this thread how your personal journey was intertwined with Palace's fortunes over the course of this season. There was definitely a sense of fulfillment that day, even though it was only the ZDS it symbolised something about the club's changing status (or so we thought).

Onto more prosaic matters and that line from Mike Milligan has me scratching my head..."You want to see the state of Martin's face. He will be in the zoo next." Anyone??
I hadn't appreciated at the time quite how 'battered' Everton were. Good to see Keown on the receiving end for once, even though he did wreak his revenge on Ninja at Selhurst.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:02 AM

It was a great day and one that still lives in the memory. Not wanting to diminish it in any way, but I do look back and wish it was the League Cup instead as it would’ve been a more fitting epitaph for this great team. Despite it being a memorable event we are still Crystal Palace who haven’t won a major trophy yet. There have been a lot worse and undeserving sides in my 40+ years following football that have achieved that. At the time, as Coppell said in his post match interview, this felt like the beginning of so much more; as Bipe said, in actual fact it was the last glorious moment of our greatest team ever.

Me, my brother and friends managed to get really good seats opposite the Royal Box and level with it, so our view was fantastic. Was a very nervy 90 mins but we absolutely blew them away in extra time. Wrighty just went into another gear and that was that for Everton.

I think my strongest memory of the day remains watching Geoff and the boys climbing those famous steps to lift the trophy. Okay it was just the ZDS, and despite the celebrations among the Palace fans, you still sensed the celebrations were slightly more reserved and certainly nothing like they would’ve been 11 months before had Hughes not equalised at the death. But it was still watching a Palace captain go up and lift a cup at Wembley. I recall my brother and two life long mates (not Palace fans) just turning round and savouring my reaction as Thomas held the cup aloft - they knew I had waited a long time and been through many lows with the club to get to that moment.

Almost definitely Europe the following season, another tilt at the title and a real go at the other two major domestic cups awaited us. Just felt like we’d just stamped our intentions on the big stage and this was only the beginning...

Old 07-04-2021, 07:57 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

This game the feelings at Wembley that day Using the oft used term was the roller coaster ride climbing from the depths of the 80s up and up and reaching the high point. Ask me at the time it was going to level off the club cinsolidate. Maybe reach new heights. Personal life felt the same. In the same ten years leading up to that day it had been a battle through the 80s and Thatcher. I had got married gone through the loss of our first son and had three wonderful kids. Work wise from starting again after it was obvious manufacture industry was dead. I had studied and worked my way up in Accountancy to leading a small team. The house i mentioned previously we ended up buying. That was all I had dreamt about during the ten previous years 4 bedroom double garage detached. The guy i went to football with had just moved back to London everything he wanted. In a way it was the pinnacle we both had dreamed.
The next ten years for the club was a frantic ride down to the bottom. With up downs twists and turns that no one there that day would have forecast. By the end we were in administration and facing relegation to the third tier of the league. Life for me went through a complete roller coaster as well. From divorce the first heart attack surviving redundacy and recovering from it all. There were tremendous lows twists turns yet ten years latter living in the one bedroom flat in a tower block like the club I had the dreams the confidence whatever. Sure since then there has been battles as tough as any in that ten years but right now sitting here retired looking out over Poole harbour wife asleep in bedroom. I would not change a thing could not be happier. I mentioned before during those ten years the health if the guy I went to games with took a serious diwn turn by the time of adminstration he was no longer able to go.
But back to 91 that game it summed up the previous 36 years of Palace as much as my life. We had reached a pinnicale not the very top it was the ZDS but one that we were proud. Life felt the same right then.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I'd say the last great moment was hammering Man Utd 3-0 in the last game to finish off our magnificent third place, but otherwise I agree, Bubbs. Having been going regularly since 1984, I'd seen us get better every season - it really felt like that would continue and the sky was the limit. Yet a few months later, Wright left and it all went wrong. For me the most frustrating thing is we mistimed our best ever season - a year later, and we'd have won the league.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 07-04-2021, 09:33 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
We will come to the Man United game in a few weeks. It was certainly satisfying, but tempered by the fact that Ferguson rested a number of key players with their Cup Winners Cup final against Barcelona coming up in the week. In truth it was a virtual reserve side we were up against, they weren't bothered by the result and it didn't hurt them in any way. Unlike 12 months previously - it should have been Brighty smashing in that extra time winner against Barcelona!
Old 07-04-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'd say the last great moment was hammering Man Utd 3-0 in the last game to finish off our magnificent third place, but otherwise I agree, Bubbs. Having been going regularly since 1984, I'd seen us get better every season - it really felt like that would continue and the sky was the limit. Yet a few months later, Wright left and it all went wrong. For me the most frustrating thing is we mistimed our best ever season - a year later, and we'd have won the league.
This was my feeling based purely on what Coppell had done since he walked into the club. If you look at every season up to this one, we noticeably improved year on year; we took one step up the ladder.

In my naive head, I thought it was logical that judging by his management form, we’d eventually win the league. Sounds crazy now, but as you said Steve, we were literally one year premature from doing this. Just our luck too that both Liverpool and Arsenal chose to implode and plummet the following season and not this one.

Coppell at this stage just seemed head and shoulders above the other managers in the way he talked, carried himself and of course managed. He took over a club at 28 who were perennial relegation candidates to the third division, and after a hairy first few months, kept us up with room to spare. We then never finished outside the top 5 until we gained promotion in ‘89 with the squad slowly getting stronger every season. Survive relegation in the top tier after a difficult start; get to the FA Cup Final. Follow that up with third in the league...having lived through that progression, I think many of us felt as long as Coppell stayed, anything was achievable - he was our golden ticket. He was only 35 by that stage! But as the great man himself said recently, we didn’t think it at the time, but having our European place stolen from us and subsequently losing Ian Wright, that was a signal that we’d touched the glass ceiling.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
As said i am looking forward to that game and there is a story behind that one that still makes me either laugh or cry. But its the last two games that sum up that side. Away and Home same result in both and an unforgettable performance by Wright at Plough Lane.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:35 AM

Not quite right Bubbs, at least if my admittedly shaky memory these days is correct.

In 1985/86 when you had to finish at least 5th to reach the play-offs we came 6th.

In 1986/87 and 1987/88 when you had to finish 6th, we came 7th.

Then in 1988/89 we came 3rd and went up.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not quite right Bubbs, at least if my admittedly shaky memory these days is correct.

In 1985/86 when you had to finish at least 5th to reach the play-offs we came 6th.

In 1986/87 and 1987/88 when you had to finish 6th, we came 7th.

Then in 1988/89 we came 3rd and went up.
Now I'm going to correct myself!

No play-offs in 85/86, we came 5th

Had to finish 5th in 86/87, we came 6th

Had to finish 6th in 87/88, we came 7th

I think so anyway, this is all from memory.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:16 PM

We’re both wrong.

85/86: 5th
86/87: 6th
87/88: 6th
88/89: 3rd

The two years before we went up we finished 2pts behind the final team that qualified for the play offs. In 87/88, had we won one more game that we lost, we’d have gone up automatic in 2nd. Either of the Shrewsbury defeats would’ve done us!

Old 07-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
We’re both wrong.

85/86: 5th
86/87: 6th
87/88: 6th
88/89: 3rd

The two years before we went up we finished 2pts behind the final team that qualified for the play offs. In 87/88, had we won one more game that we lost, we’d have gone up automatic in 2nd. Either of the Shrewsbury defeats would’ve done us!
That's right. Play offs started in 1986/87, as part of reducing the size of the top flight to 20 teams (though it later went back up to 22, before coming down again when we were relegated fourth bottom). In the first two years of the play offs, they included a team from the Division above trying to avoid relegation.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
That's right. Play offs started in 1986/87, as part of reducing the size of the top flight to 20 teams (though it later went back up to 22, before coming down again when we were relegated fourth bottom). In the first two years of the play offs, they included a team from the Division above trying to avoid relegation.
Glad they got rid of the play off system where a club fighting relegation in the higher division were dragged into it. It made for real explosive encounters but just felt far too cruel. Remember Chelsea losing to Boro (which of course was amusing) but a lot of trouble ensued. Also the Leeds Charlton game when the clowns scored twice late on to survive was a very heart stopping occasion.

The downside to losing for the team trying to avoid relegation just felt far too much. Losing in the play offs is gutting but ordinarily you haven’t lost anything - you just remain where you are, whereas that other system just felt too much like unfairly more high stakes and pressure for the relegation threatened side.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Glad they got rid of the play off system where a club fighting relegation in the higher division were dragged into it. It made for real explosive encounters but just felt far too cruel. Remember Chelsea losing to Boro (which of course was amusing) but a lot of trouble ensued. Also the Leeds Charlton game when the clowns scored twice late on to survive was a very heart stopping occasion.

The downside to losing for the team trying to avoid relegation just felt far too much. Losing in the play offs is gutting but ordinarily you haven’t lost anything - you just remain where you are, whereas that other system just felt too much like unfairly more high stakes and pressure for the relegation threatened side.
I agree, though it's a pity they didn't revert to that approach next time they reduced the size of the top flight - we might have stayed up.