Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'd say the last great moment was hammering Man Utd 3-0 in the last game to finish off our magnificent third place
Spoiler alert.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:04 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
The play-offs are an innovation that have emphatically stood the test of time, achieving exactly what they set out to in ensuring the end of the season is more meaningful and exciting for a significantly greater number of clubs and supporters.

There was a fair amount of scepticism and in some quarters outrage at the time they were introduced. We were wedded to the idea of the final league table showing where everyone finished on merit, and the notion that a team as much as 15 points behind the one which finished third could jump the queue for promotion was regarded as heresy. But this was soon forgotten as the drama unfolded. The adjustment to exclude the team finishing in the final relegation club from the division above was another positive move, interesting to note that this would probably never have got through in the current climate with the premier league's protectionism absolutely rife.

The final 1985/86 season before the play-offs was a classic example for Palace of why they were a good thing. We finished a highly creditable 5th after the traumas of the previous few seasons, but in truth we were never really in the promotion hunt and the final couple of months of the season held little interest other than to finish as high as we could and hope to carry our good form into the following season. We eventually finished 10 points behind 3rd place Wimbledon, effectively 11 points because their goal difference was much better, they had been up near the top all year and the gap was never really that close. I vaguely remember playing them around Easter time and thinking that if we won it we might stand an outside chance of hauling them in. But we didn't and that was that.

The play-offs format still gives a sense of anticipation, even in the years we haven't been successful they are big games and it's a real focal point for the end of the season.

Last edited by Bipe; 08-04-2021 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-04-2021, 08:32 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Was the Man Utd 3-0 game the game we were chanting "Barcelona"? As a young 13/14 year old I have vague but great memories of that season and the ZDS final. I remember how poorly Everton had supported their team in terms of numbers and vocal support. We on the other hand were amazing that day on and off the pitch but definitely fitting of the winners. I just wish we had had camera phones in those days to capture the great moments. As others have said, it's such a shame we didn't build on that great team and it was soul destroying seeing it fall apart like it did in the following season/s.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
The play-offs are an innovation that have emphatically stood the test of time, achieving exactly what they set out to in ensuring the end of the season is more meaningful and exciting for a significantly greater number of clubs and supporters.

There was a fair amount of scepticism and in some quarters outrage at the time they were introduced. We were wedded to the idea of the final league table showing where everyone finished on merit, and the notion that a team as much as 15 points behind the one which finished third could jump the queue for promotion was regarded as heresy. But this was soon forgotten as the drama unfolded. The adjustment to exclude the team finishing in the final relegation club from the division above was another positive move, interesting to note that this would probably never have got through in the current climate with the premier league's protectionism absolutely rife.

The final 1985/86 season before the play-offs was a classic example for Palace of why they were a good thing. We finished a highly creditable 5th after the traumas of the previous few seasons, but in truth we were never really in the promotion hunt and the final couple of months of the season held little interest other than to finish as high as we could and hope to carry our good form into the following season. We eventually finished 10 points behind 3rd place Wimbledon, effectively 11 points because their goal difference was much better, they had been up near the top all year and the gap was never really that close. I vaguely remember playing them around Easter time and thinking that if we won it we might stand an outside chance of hauling them in. But we didn't and that was that.

The play-offs format still gives a sense of anticipation, even in the years we haven't been successful they are big games and it's a real focal point for the end of the season.
Had we failed to go up in 1989, we might have claimed to be victims of the play-offs as we finished third (and very nearly second). But, in reality, I don't think we would have come third without the play-offs. We were mid table in February, and without the play-offs I think our season would have petered out. But the chance of sneaking into the play-offs kept our season alive, and in the end our run was good enough to not only get us into them, but almost into the automatic spots.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
That is a very good point - there was certainly a feel of make or break about that season, with the fear that our prized assets might move on if we ended up in the second division for yet another season. We were languishing in mid-table and well off the pace as late as March, then the amazing run started with 11 wins and 2 draws in our last 15 regular season games (inevitably, one of the two defeats was against Shrewsbury). Would the players have been as motivated to keep that run going if there were no play-offs and the prospects of getting to third place (at least in the early stages of that run) were so remote?

I also remember that around that time Ian Wright surprisingly put pen to paper on a new contract, this was seen as a real statement of intent that now was the time to get the club moving and it was a massive show of faith from him (this was back in the days when a player's contract still had some meaning!)

Last edited by Bipe; 08-04-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
When Geoff went up to lift the Zenith Cup I was there!!!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:53 AM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
When Geoff went up to lift the Zenith Cup I was there!!!
Can I seek clarification. I've always thought the line was when Geoff went up to lift the ZDS Cup I was there. Have I been wrong for 30 years?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
Can I seek clarification. I've always thought the line was when Geoff went up to lift the ZDS Cup I was there. Have I been wrong for 30 years?
Always Zenith. ZDS had one syllable too many.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
When Geoff, went up, to lift the Full Members Cup, I was there
Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
When Geoff went up to lift the non-major cup I was there
Old 08-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I know you lot dismiss it, but as s 7 year old seeing my team lifting a trophy at Wembley, that was a big thing for me back then.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
I know you lot dismiss it, but as s 7 year old seeing my team lifting a trophy at Wembley, that was a big thing for me back then.
It was a big thing for a 21 year old, too.

One of my main memories of the day was that the first half was drab and played under a drab overcast sky. But when we came back from the concourse at the end of half time, the sun had suddenly come out and it was like a different day and a different match.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
That is a very good point - there was certainly a feel of make or break about that season, with the fear that our prized assets might move on if we ended up in the second division for yet another season. We were languishing in mid-table and well off the pace as late as March, then the amazing run started with 11 wins and 2 draws in our last 15 regular season games (inevitably, one of the two defeats was against Shrewsbury). Would the players have been as motivated to keep that run going if there were no play-offs and the prospects of getting to third place (at least in the early stages of that run) were so remote?

I also remember that around that time Ian Wright surprisingly put pen to paper on a new contract, this was seen as a real statement of intent that now was the time to get the club moving and it was a massive show of faith from him (this was back in the days when a player's contract still had some meaning!)
I remember going to Barnsley away around Feb/March. They had a start striker at the time (can't remember his name) and it was billed at the match up between him and Wright. We drew 1-1 and at the time I thought any chance we had of making a promotion bid had pretty much disappeared.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM

singapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsingapore eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
It was a great day and one that still lives in the memory. Not wanting to diminish it in any way, but I do look back and wish it was the League Cup instead as it would’ve been a more fitting epitaph for this great team.
I've never thought of it like that, but this is a good point.

This was the year that Sheffield Wednesday won the League Cup from the second division. And if you look at the last four in the League Cup, or the last four in the FA Cup for that matter, the teams were no stronger than the last four in the ZDS. We just won the 'wrong' cup.

I still think this was the pinnacle of being a Palace supporter, though. Lots of good moments have followed through the years (interspersed with plenty of lows), but I think that the feeling of being on the crest of a wave was unique.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Baller!!!

It's annoying we lost to Southampton in the League Cup given we beat them in both League games that season.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I suspect there are many more of us that cherish the win rather than dismiss it

'Me & My Dad saw Palace lift a trophy at Wembley, I thought I'd never sing that'

Old 08-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I remember going to Barnsley away around Feb/March. They had a start striker at the time (can't remember his name) and it was billed at the match up between him and Wright. We drew 1-1 and at the time I thought any chance we had of making a promotion bid had pretty much disappeared.
That Barnsley game was actually the first in that run of 15 at the end of the season that I mentioned. A hard earned point, and we followed it up with 8 wins in the next 9 to get the momentum going (the only defeat being Shrewsbury!). The Barnsley player might have been David Currie, he scored quite a few goals for them which earned him a big money move to Forest, where things didn't work out.

Shrewsbury finally went down that year, winning only 8 of their 46 games. But they still took 4 points off us.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
That Barnsley game was actually the first in that run of 15 at the end of the season that I mentioned. A hard earned point, and we followed it up with 8 wins in the next 9 to get the momentum going (the only defeat being Shrewsbury!). The Barnsley player might have been David Currie, he scored quite a few goals for them which earned him a big money move to Forest, where things didn't work out.

Shrewsbury finally went down that year, winning only 8 of their 46 games. But they still took 4 points off us.
Yes, Currie was the one.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:43 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Coppell writes about this season in today’s Chelsea programme that commemorates the 30yr anniversary. One interesting bit....As the team walked up to collect the ZDS cup, Coppell turned to Noades and quietly said, ‘This is the first of many.’

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 10-04-2021, 08:38 AM

I suppose an impartial observer would say that Coppell's managerial career peaked too early. Given that he was still only in his late 30s when he first resigned from Palace, but with a number of years of success and experience behind him, he should have been destined for the very top. Of course he had a very solid career with successful spells at other clubs, particularly Reading, but he never achieved as much as I hoped and expected he would. Maybe that ill fated spell at Manchester City put the biggest clubs off.

Anyway I forgot to update on new entries into the top ten for week ending 6 April. Although you may prefer me not to have bothered anyway - there was only one, and it was an out and out stinker:

Snap! Megamix by Snap! - A cynical ploy to cash in by recycling their small handful of hits to date into a weak compilation. A surprising number of the great British public were gullible enough to fall for it, it scraped to number 10 and then faded from view.

The following week's chart action was considerably more interesting with no fewer than six new entries, so we will come to that in a few days.