Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-05-2021, 04:33 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
1990/91. League scorers

Wright 15
Bright 9
Thomas 6
Salako. 6
Gray. 4
Young. 3
Thompson. 1
Thorn. 1
Humphrey. 1
Shaw. 1
Pardew. 1
Barber. 1

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread that these figures bare out, is that there really wasn’t enough goals in this team outside of Wright and Bright to realistically win the title that season. One of our main wingers, McGoldrick, didn’t even register a goal all season.

Bright also had one of his usual long stints without a goal, not scoring after January. This was a constant throughout his Palace career where he’d go on a great streaky run of scoring then could go ages without.

Another strange anomaly was that Wright, after his superb lobbed goal in our fist home game of the season against Chelsea, never scored another home goal until Derby in mid-March.

Over the years when you look back at this side and wonder what it would’ve needed to have actually stood a strong chance of winning the title, you would think 2 or 3 players with more goals in them. A Platt in midfield, Limpar out wide and a set piece expert like Dorigo at full back always spring to my mind.

Platt by that stage was out of our league, but was one of Noades’s big regrets, as when we bought Thomas from Crewe, Dario Gradi told Noades that Platt was the next to be picked up, but we didn’t go back for him.

As a contrast, here are the title winners Arsenal’s goal scorers that season:

Smith. 22
Merson 13
Limpar 11
Campbell 9
Dixon 5
Davis 3
Groves 3
Thomas 2
Rocastle 2
O’Leary 1
Adams 1

Kevin Campbell only started 15 that season with 7 off the bench and managed to score as many as Bright. I suppose that was another component our side lacked, was a striker to come off the bench and contribute to the goals when it wasn’t happening for Bright and Wright. Collymore would’ve been the ideal man, but slightly too early for him.

Liverpool’s goal scoring stats

Barnes 16
Rush. 16
Beardsley 11
Molby 9
Houghton 7
Speedie 6
Rosenthal 5
Nicol 3
Whelan 1
Gillespie 1

Interesting also to look at Leeds goal scoring stats for the following season when they won the league. It has often been said by fans and players alike, that if we added 2 or 3 decent players to our 90/91 squad, we could’ve been the ones taking the title that following season. These stats kind of concur with that thought. We were really not far away from doing the unbelievable.

Leeds 91/92

Lee Chapman 16
Rod Wallace 11
Steve Hodge 7
Gary Speed 6
Mel Sterland 6
Gary McAllister 5
Gordon Strachan 4
Tony Dorigo 3
Eric Cantona 3
David Batty 2
Carl Shutt 2
Chris Fairclough 2
Jon Newsome 2
Chris Whyte 1
Mike Whitlow 1

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 18-05-2021, 07:20 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
I didn't realise Brighty scored that few in the League ! He must have scored quite
a few in the League and ZDS Cups,then ? He got a hat trick
against Southend in the League Cup, right ?
Old 18-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
1990/91. League scorers

Wright 15
Bright 9
Thomas 6
Salako. 6
Gray. 4
Young. 3
Thompson. 1
Thorn. 1
Humphrey. 1
Shaw. 1
Pardew. 1
Barber. 1

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread that these figures bare out, is that there really wasn’t enough goals in this team outside of Wright and Bright to realistically win the title that season. One of our main wingers, McGoldrick, didn’t even register a goal all season.

Bright also had one of his usual long stints without a goal, not scoring after January. This was a constant throughout his Palace career where he’d go on a great streaky run of scoring then could go ages without.

Another strange anomaly was that Wright, after his superb lobbed goal in our fist home game of the season against Chelsea, never scored another home goal until Derby in mid-March.

Over the years when you look back at this side and wonder what it would’ve needed to have actually stood a strong chance of winning the title, you would think 2 or 3 players with more goals in them. A Platt in midfield, Limpar out wide and a set piece expert like Dorigo at full back always spring to my mind.

Platt by that stage was out of our league, but was one of Noades’s big regrets, as when we bought Thomas from Crewe, Dario Gradi told Noades that Platt was the next to be picked up, but we didn’t go back for him.

As a contrast, here are the title winners Arsenal’s goal scorers that season:

Smith. 22
Merson 13
Limpar 11
Campbell 9
Dixon 5
Davis 3
Groves 3
Thomas 2
Rocastle 2
O’Leary 1
Adams 1

Kevin Campbell only started 15 that season with 7 off the bench and managed to score as many as Bright. I suppose that was another component our side lacked, was a striker to come off the bench and contribute to the goals when it wasn’t happening for Bright and Wright. Collymore would’ve been the ideal man, but slightly too early for him.

Liverpool’s goal scoring stats

Barnes 16
Rush. 16
Beardsley 11
Molby 9
Houghton 7
Speedie 6
Rosenthal 5
Nicol 3
Whelan 1
Gillespie 1

Interesting also to look at Leeds goal scoring stats for the following season when they won the league. It has often been said by fans and players alike, that if we added 2 or 3 decent players to our 90/91 squad, we could’ve been the ones taking the title that following season. These stats kind of concur with that thought. We were really not far away from doing the unbelievable.

Leeds 91/92

Lee Chapman 16
Rod Wallace 11
Steve Hodge 7
Gary Speed 6
Mel Sterland 6
Gary McAllister 5
Gordon Strachan 4
Tony Dorigo 3
Eric Cantona 3
David Batty 2
Carl Shutt 2
Chris Fairclough 2
Jon Newsome 2
Chris Whyte 1
Mike Whitlow 1
Those Arsenal figures show why I was surprised (and well as devastated) that they went for Wright the following season - I thought he might struggle to get into their team. What actually happened, though, was Arsenal turned themselves into a rich man's version of 1990-91 Palace, and - whilst Wright himself may have been a success for them - they were actually a poorer team all round with him than they had been before.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 18-05-2021, 08:17 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
I didn't realise Brighty scored that few in the League ! He must have scored quite
They both did.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 18-05-2021, 05:33 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Yes.

Cup goal scorers 90/91

Wright 10
Bright 6
Salako 4
Thomas 2
Thompson 1
Hodges 1
Young 1
Gray 1
McGoldrick 1

Old 20-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Glyn Hodges scored more Cup goals in two months at Selhurst, than Palace have managed since March 2019!

Let that sink in
Old 20-05-2021, 07:57 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

All good names but there were ones we were genuinely linked with that could have made that difference.

Defender Gary Charles - part of the England set up at that point

Mark Walters, would have been great on the opposite flank from Salako

Rod Wallace. Another we were linked with, although, I admit he wouldn't necessarily have got in that starting XI as things were set up in 1991

For me, it'll always be the UEFUA U-turn that killed us. Had Palace been in Europe in 1991-92, Wright would have had no reason to leave, or at least not at the time he left in September. Palace would have made to at least the UEFA Cup QF as Liverpool did and that would have taken us into spring. Andy Gray's own personal tailspin after his disastrous England outing would probably never have happened had his trusted core been around him.

We can speculate of course, but that was the killer for me
Old 06-08-2021, 05:03 PM

So, are we doing one of these for 1991-92???
Old 06-08-2021, 05:42 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
How about 1981/82? That was interesting. A cup run ... a change of manager ... and that's about it. It would reinforce how bloody lucky we've been recently and would put some of the whinging that we get around here into perspective.

In fact we could start with a home pre-season friendly against Brighton tomorrow after the traditional European tour (of Germany rather than Scandanavia for some reason).
Old 06-08-2021, 05:50 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
What am I talking about? 1980/81 ... now that WOULD be interesting. A change of ownership. Four different managers. The ground massively changed (for the worse) on 3 sides. Players, staff and fans seemingly in open revolt at various stages. Some extremely unethical paractices alleged and relegation confirmed at an almost record early date. I remember it being unutterably depressing. I hated nearly every minute of it although there was the odd uplifting win.

Grim. On second thoughts; best not.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
So, are we doing one of these for 1991-92???
I was going to ask

I actually have game by game reports and pictures for that season too, but wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested.

Despite it being a thoroughly depressing season, it was very eventful; Wright leaving to Arsenal and Gabbiadini’s less than welcome arrival; the Noades race storm; Salako’s horrific injury; media and other clubs criticising our over physical tactics; Andy Gray falling out with Coppell and leaving…

Happy to go again with this season game by game if others are interested or could do another season if people wish. I kept game by game accounts of each season from 87/88 - 91/92.

But also intrigued by Elwiss’ suggestion of 80/81, despite it being probably the worst season supporting Palace in my 40+ years.

Let’s have a straw poll.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:24 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Per my sign off on 1990/91, I didn't go to many games in 1991/92 as playing football took over from watching it on Saturdays. So I'm not the man to lead this time, although I will read with interest and very happily chip in if someone else with stronger recollections of the season wants to guide us through.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:21 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was going to ask

I actually have game by game reports and pictures for that season too, but wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested.

Despite it being a thoroughly depressing season, it was very eventful; Wright leaving to Arsenal and Gabbiadini’s less than welcome arrival; the Noades race storm; Salako’s horrific injury; media and other clubs criticising our over physical tactics; Andy Gray falling out with Coppell and leaving…

Happy to go again with this season game by game if others are interested or could do another season if people wish. I kept game by game accounts of each season from 87/88 - 91/92.

But also intrigued by Elwiss’ suggestion of 80/81, despite it being probably the worst season supporting Palace in my 40+ years.

Let’s have a straw poll.
Oh yes for 91/92. Do it!
Old 07-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
80/81 was very close to me giving up.Travelling from Essex every home game became a chore the anticipation had gone.Venables actually had part ownership of a pub in Leytonstone called Laurel and Hardy`s.I met him in there one night and asked him if the truth of how it all went so wrong would ever come out to which he replied "those things never come out,only those who were there know" as I turned to leave he said "you can always come support Rangers" to which I glared at him and replied "I`d rather drink acid" his bouncers moved in and it was time to leave lol.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
80/81 was very close to me giving up.Travelling from Essex every home game became a chore the anticipation had gone.Venables actually had part ownership of a pub in Leytonstone called Laurel and Hardy`s.I met him in there one night and asked him if the truth of how it all went so wrong would ever come out to which he replied "those things never come out,only those who were there know" as I turned to leave he said "you can always come support Rangers" to which I glared at him and replied "I`d rather drink acid" his bouncers moved in and it was time to leave lol.
The thieving **** even tried to take fans with him to QPR

Did Shakespeare forsee our new PM? “he's a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise-breaker, the owner of no one good quality"
Old 07-08-2021, 01:28 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
91/92 not a season I realy enjoyed won 3 of our opening 4 games then by sept after wright had scored helping us beat Oldham was sold out of the blue to arsenal.gabbiadini coming in as his replacement didn't realy work out he did score in our win at Liverpool we had a few good results winning at spurs and at home to Liverpool .when I look back home crowds could be low in them days a lot of 12 000 14000 home crowds seems mad now but we played Notts county in top tier that year .also the emergence of a young David Whyte rip that season I've got cuttings from that year somewhere might be at my dads house .
Old 07-08-2021, 01:47 PM

David Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to OllieDavid Giles belongs to Ollie
Bubbs is right: a lot did go on off the pitch but on the pitch, especially in the second half of that season, the football was so dull. Can remember going home and away when Coleman was up front and wanting to stick pins in my eyes. Up until the last two years, I’d have argued that 91/92 was the most boring season in the top flight.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:59 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was going to ask

But also intrigued by Elwiss’ suggestion of 80/81, despite it being probably the
worst season supporting Palace in my 40+ years.

Let’s have a straw poll.
I enjoyed team of the 80s first season up
The championship winning season with Southgate as captain
Season went up via play off w ham game
First prem season back this time
Old 08-08-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
I’d have argued that 91/92 was the most boring season in the top flight.

It's weird how we as a fanbase look down on 1991-92

In 116 years of CPFC it's literally our joint-2nd highest ever finish.

Fascinated me right from the Eagle Eye days as to which other fanbase would look down on their second best season
Old 08-08-2021, 12:46 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
It's weird how we as a fanbase look down on 1991-92

In 116 years of CPFC it's literally our joint-2nd highest ever finish.

Fascinated me right from the Eagle Eye days as to which other fanbase would look down on their second best season
Results wise it was far from boring, a real roller-coaster. We started like a train again and looked well placed to threaten the top few places, per the previous season. The middle of our season fell off a cliff with a dismal run of form. But we rallied well at the end with a good haul of points.

Breaking the season down into phases:

27 points from our first 15 games
15 points from the next 18 (and only 2 wins!)
15 points from the final 9

As you mention a total points haul of 57 points was highly impressive

However, the football was generally considered beyond turgid at times. I'm not really in a position to comment as from memory I only went to six games and most of them weren't actually that bad:

Sheffield United home - a win but got away with it, Glyn Hodges ran the show for the Blades
Villa away early in the season - great win, played well
Leeds home - a win but best remembered for Salako's awful injury
Liverpool away - great win, smash and grab but fantastic day out (well weekend in my case)
West Ham home - defeat, a rare Perry Suckling appearance, but an entertaining game
QPR away in the ZDS Cup - win and an entertaining game.