Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Lovely stuff

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Paul Weller

Cracking new album from Weller , who is enjoying a real career high. What with 22 Dreams and Wake Up The Nation, Sonic Kicks tops a great trilogy from Weller. Saw him at the Roundhouse a few weeks back. Took a risk playing the new album in its entirety but pulled it off. Once a mod always a mod.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
gumnut cottage

foxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanet Eagle
Cracking new album from Weller , who is enjoying a real career high. What with 22 Dreams and Wake Up The Nation, Sonic Kicks tops a great trilogy from Weller. Saw him at the Roundhouse a few weeks back. Took a risk playing the new album in its entirety but pulled it off. Once a mod always a mod.
stanley road still stands out for me. i dont think he will recreate that. Whilst the new stuff is good Stanley Road was just awesome i thought.

Great to see him getting some more recognition of late. Legend.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM

gkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Has there been a better English song writer over the past 30 years than Weller ?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
9dw

Roadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRoadblock came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxinthebox
stanley road still stands out for me. i dont think he will recreate that. Whilst the new stuff is good Stanley Road was just awesome i thought.

Great to see him getting some more recognition of late. Legend.
Agree with all of that. Along with Wild Wood, Stanley Road is a personal fave. And whilst a lot of his newer stuff isn't my cuppa tea he's got my respect for trying to continually innovate his style.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM

dmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdmf73 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Havent got his latest album - really love his early solo stuff including Paul Weller and Wild Wood. Also really liked bits of As is Now and 22 Dreams.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkp
Has there been a better English song writer over the past 30 years than Weller ?
Ian Dury

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Lovely stuff

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Still enjoy listening to his debut solo album and Wild Wood is a classic. Recently downloaded the 4 disc Weller BBC sessions which is great and has some real live gems on it. Have to say that Sonic Kicks is superb , very eclectic, innovative and well worth purchasing.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
i heard one track this morning.... sounds like he's been listening to Blur

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy64
i heard one track this morning.... sounds like he's been listening to Blur
Or Eric Clapton when he was in Cream...still, a very good sound from PW
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I never got the hype about Stanley Road or Wild Wood.

But I have loved each of his last three albums, and Sonik Kicks is the best of them yet.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Once a mod always a mod.
I disagree, actually. Sonik Kicks is nothing like the mod sound. I think he's been plagued with that label for too long and now he deserves recognition for stepping out of that genre and into the more experimental rock genre.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Lovely stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo
I disagree, actually. Sonik Kicks is nothing like the mod sound. I think he's been plagued with that label for too long and now he deserves recognition for stepping out of that genre and into the more experimental rock genre.
I was talking more of his look and philosophy than the style of music.

Paul Weller
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was talking more of his look and philosophy than the style of music.

Yeah ! Get a haircut Weller !!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM

CedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCedarEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It would be boring if we were all the same so with that I think he's overrated. However, he's a proper singer/songwriter so I'd rather have him than the terrible manafactured girl / boy band fivesomes
Old 28-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Just listening to a selection of Weller albums and I have to ask isn't he under rated? This guy has all the attributes that the music media salivate over typically - longevity, real musician and has evolved along with and to some extent has helped evolve popular music for over 40 years. Others are put on a pedestal and regularly worshiped but I just don't get that feeling re Weller somehow.

Is this just because I am over impressed or is it because he is a musician first and a reluctant star second and even the music media these days are besotted with that aspect more than the music.

I struggle to find an album that he is on that I don't like or at least appreciate in the sense that you can see his pushing the edges of the envelope. I even like the Style Council albums (I realise that I am probably alone on that one and my street cred plummetted as I wrote that ).

Whatever, I think he is class and especially live. Saw him twice in New York and have tickets for his Leeds gig. Nice one.
Old 28-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Weller is a legend and in my eyes is up there amongst the best singer/songwriters. The stuff he wrote especially with The Jam at such a young age I don't think we will see the likes of again.
Old 28-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I like some of his solo stuff, more so when he was in The Jam though. I know I should like him more than I do, but personally I find most of his albums a bit of a drag.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:24 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I'm a bit behind with Weller. Is he still channeling the spirit of Steve Marriot?
Old 30-03-2015, 09:37 PM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Wasn't he always going out with teen girls?
Old 30-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Smithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmithers-Jones came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not sure about the spirit of Marriott but for me, there's 2 or 3 truly outstanding songs on every album he's done - adds up to quite a few songs.
Was good to see his latest on the big screen before Stoke away.