Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 19-01-2022, 09:24 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
It's three times Spain's, which is why it surprised me. Like you, I don't really pay attention.
The high current UK deaths has surprised me too, particularly given flat ICU numbers and fairly low care home deaths. The only way i can reconcile it is that hospitals are reporting that circa 35%+ of covid patients are ‘with’ as opposed to ‘of’ covid, ie ‘real’ (if thats the right phrase) covid deaths currently being reported may be quite a lot lower than the official numbers. So, when comparing with other countries, i guess it depends on whether they have the same 28 day protocol.
Old 19-01-2022, 09:31 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Or you could just be where we’ll be in two weeks!
Old 19-01-2022, 09:47 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceForever View Post
Misinformation being spread as fact on social media is a huge problem in my opinion. I don’t know why the government don’t get a bit more savvy with this - a department who challenge misinformation with facts. If Bob posts in the comments of a news article on Facebook that the vaccines don’t work, he is challenged via a reply with evidence showing they do work. There are a lot of impressionable people who are swayed by what they read online, regardless of truth.
Really massive issue. The problem is people exist in bubbles on SM. So it self perpetuates itself. And Government info by its nature will not be trusted. So how to actually counter all this bollocks? Truly difficult. They will pounce on a single video yet ignore 1000 others.
Old 19-01-2022, 11:27 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipw View Post
The high current UK deaths has surprised me too, particularly given flat ICU numbers and fairly low care home deaths. The only way i can reconcile it is that hospitals are reporting that circa 35%+ of covid patients are ‘with’ as opposed to ‘of’ covid, ie ‘real’ (if thats the right phrase) covid deaths currently being reported may be quite a lot lower than the official numbers. So, when comparing with other countries, i guess it depends on whether they have the same 28 day protocol.
The high number of deaths is curious. Even if we assume 50% of the deaths are incidental, the MV beds are still low compared to what we saw with a similar number of deaths of Delta. Less patients seem to need oxygen, so I can only assume both are because Omicron supposedly is much less likely to affect the lungs - which begs the question, how are people dying of Omicron? Is it that just a higher proportion of those who end up being ventilated go on to die, or is it more deaths from cytokine storm, clots/heart attacks, or something else?

I also thought it was interesting that the number of COVID deaths in South Africa has been continuing to rise, even though cases peaked there on 12th December, which maybe points to a longer time between infection and death, so I wouldn't be surprised to see UK deaths stay high for longer than expected.
Old 19-01-2022, 11:39 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Also is it high or is the mortality rate roughly where it should be and covid is supplementing the normal pneumonia and flu deaths this time of year. When we were in the late 100s/1000s it was clearly causing excess death.

I don’t know the answer to this by the way. Like pneumonia and flu covid will take the weak from now on though. It would be interesting to know if the three combined are killing more people or the same volume of people.

On a side note covid really does seem to have become dominant over flu (and perhaps pneumonia).
Old 20-01-2022, 05:41 AM

LSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Also is it high or is the mortality rate roughly where it should be and covid is supplementing the normal pneumonia and flu deaths this time of year. When we were in the late 100s/1000s it was clearly causing excess death.
The ONS only goes up to the 1st week of the year at the moment but that shows significantly lower deaths than average for that week. However I think death registration can be a bit odd at the start of the new year (due to BHs etc) so you'd want to see a couple more weeks from January to understand the current trend.

Quote:
In the week ending 7 January 2022 (Week 1), 12,262 deaths were registered in England and Wales; this was 3,785 more deaths than the previous week (Week 52 2021), which is partly because of the bank holidays in Week 52, and 7.8% below the five-year average (1,036 fewer deaths).
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Winter diseases generally pick off the most vulnerable in society and I imagine we would expect to have fewer such people compared to previous years given Covid deaths. From that perspective I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with lower than average excess deaths this winter.

Last edited by LSEagle; 20-01-2022 at 06:48 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 20-01-2022, 06:56 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
IMO, they've jumped the gun, all in the name of being popular and deflecting from Johnson's incompetence.
I very much agree.

Where is that bloody list ?
Old 20-01-2022, 07:00 AM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
I don't know if anyone is in the same boat as me, but here goes.

I know of four people that have died DIRECTLY of covid. In 63 years on this planet, I have never known anybody die of influenza.

Where is that bloody list ?
Old 20-01-2022, 07:05 AM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSEagle View Post
The ONS only goes up to the 1st week of the year at the moment but that shows significantly lower deaths than average for that week. However I think death registration can be a bit odd at the start of the new year (due to BHs etc) so you'd want to see a couple more weeks from January to understand the current trend.

Winter diseases generally pick off the most vulnerable in society and I imagine we would expect to have fewer such people compared to previous years given Covid deaths. From that perspective I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with lower than average excess deaths this winter.
You make a very fair point. Rather than looking at excess deaths on a year to year basis it would be interesting to lump in to 2 or 5 year bands.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:09 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Fair enough, if they are trying to get people back to work again but do away with facemasks (maybe a pain in the backside but hardly that inconvenient)
I think you're wearing it wrong.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:10 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Is it possible for excess deaths to be lower than average?
Old 20-01-2022, 07:37 AM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post

I don’t know the answer to this by the way. Like pneumonia and flu covid will take the weak from now on though. It would be interesting to know if the three combined are killing more people or the same volume of people.

On a side note covid really does seem to have become dominant over flu (and perhaps pneumonia).
You’re certainly right in that flu hospitalisations are next to non existent at the moment, and that the limited data i saw a couple of weeks ago indicated that the number of occupied respiratory beds is no more than a normal year. Other than it being a massive coincidence, it would therefore suggest that covid has defeated the influenza virus and/or the incidental covid deaths are even higher than 35%, with covid secondary in a high proportion of other respiratory (and perhaps other) illnesses. Its not just covid MV beds numbers are dropping, covid designated ICU beds (not just MV beds) are dropping at a similar rate too.

Last edited by Philipw; 20-01-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSEagle View Post

There is definitely some validity to this - and it played a part in the negative excess deaths last spring/summer. However this may be offset by a number of deaths now happening due to poor medical care during the pandemic.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Is it possible for excess deaths to be lower than average?
No (obviously!)
Old 20-01-2022, 07:50 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
No (obviously!)
Though if you were presenting figures on excess deaths over a period of time, it would be reasonable to show a negative number for any periods where there were fewer than average deaths.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 20-01-2022, 07:57 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

While it would seem churlish to speak of a shortage of deaths.
Old 20-01-2022, 07:58 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus mickus View Post
I don't know if anyone is in the same boat as me, but here goes.

I know of four people that have died DIRECTLY of covid. In 63 years on this planet, I have never known anybody die of influenza.
‘DIRECTLY’ ?

Last edited by Worksop Palace; 20-01-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Though if you were presenting figures on excess deaths over a period of time, it would be reasonable to show a negative number for any periods where there were fewer than average deaths.
In a a year of high excess deaths, you will almost certainly get weeks where the excess for that week (compared to the same week for the previous five years) is lower than the excess death rate for that year as whole. But think El Ag was making a different point - I think!
Old 20-01-2022, 08:03 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

The fathers of two of my colleagues at work both died in one week of COVID, in May 2020 - one of them had significant comorbidities, as in, flu would have killed him (though probably not in May). I don’t know if it would have been classified as flu, in that case.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:05 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
In a a year of high excess deaths, you will almost certainly get weeks where the excess for that week (compared to the same week for the previous five years) is lower than the excess death rate for that year as whole. But think El Ag was making a different point - I think!
Yes, I think we're in agreement. In essence, in a language sense, lower than average excess deaths makes no sense; but in a mathematical sense, negative excess deaths does.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk