Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-11-2021, 05:37 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario_G View Post
What happened with Andy Gray?

I was only 11 at the time but the memory I have is him missing a weak penalty at home to Coventry and being subbed off soon after.

Was he then sent on loan to Spurs pretty sharpish?
Was he unhappy that his mate Wright had left?
Was it down to the disaster of a 45 minutes for England?

Looking back its hard to understand how it literally fell apart at this stage considering we were in 6th place albeit in a false position by all accounts.
The thrashing at Forest seemed to really knock the stuffing out of the team and I'm sure we started getting a load of injuries plus Eric Young being out suspended, for couple of sending offs.
Old 19-11-2021, 09:51 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Coppell had had enough of Gray and transfer listed him. He actually publicly said he couldn’t have one person in the squad causing such a bad atmosphere. All the reports and articles on the fall out will follow on this thread when they happen, so stay tuned.

I seem to recall Gray’s mum died suddenly the season before I think. You could see in his demeanour that it really affected him and I think once Wright left he was all over the place mentally.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 22-11-2021, 02:32 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd replay

PALACE 1. Thomas
BIRMINGHAM C 1. Gleghorn

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 22-11-2021, 03:15 PM

N FOREST 5. Sheringham 2. Pearce. Gemmil. Woan
PALACE 1. Thomas

Old 23-11-2021, 09:26 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Phenomenal that we were still in 5th even after this defeat.

So many issues yet still up in the pack.

I've said for 30 years that this one season (between Liverpool's and United's dynasties) was our one chance to win the League. Leeds showed it could be done. It absolutely could have been done if the same spirit of the 90-91 dressing room had remained through 1991-92
Old 23-11-2021, 09:57 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
There was a game around this period when Clough subbed a player against us, but didn't replace him... Or did I make that up?
Old 23-11-2021, 09:59 PM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
There was a game around this period when Clough subbed a player against us, but didn't replace him... Or did I make that up?
That was the season before in the FA Cup in the second replay when they beat us 3-0 at their place.
Old 23-11-2021, 11:08 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
That was the season before in the FA Cup in the second replay when they beat us 3-0 at their place.
Of course. Thanks!
Old 26-11-2021, 08:15 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yeh, they just made do with a 5-1 thrashing at this stage!!!
Old 26-11-2021, 08:18 AM

Couldn't see it mentioned above but Coppell actually offered his resignation after the Forest game. Ron didn't even give it the time of day and told him to carry on. I occasionally wonder what would have happened if he'd left at this point rather than summer 93.

Would Alan Smith have been promoted to manager?

Would it have been an outsider?

Would we ultimately have fared better in the medium term than we actually did?
Old 26-11-2021, 08:31 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Week ending 23 November 1991 was a busy one in the charts, with five new entries into the top ten:

Black Or White by Michael Jackson - This was his big comeback single after a few years of inertia following the phenomenal success of the Bad album. He roped in some celebrity big guns to increase the chances of commercial success, Slash on guitar and flavour of the month Macauley Culkin in the video. It's a poor song but inevitably it went all the way to number one.

Activ-8 (Come With Me) by Altern-8 - One of those dance acts which churned out a few bangers around this era and then disappeared. I was surprised to note that this track got as high as number three on the charts, don't remember it being as big a hit as that.

Killer by Seal - This was a cynical way of building momentum for Seal's solo career, taking the Adamski track of 18 months previously on which he had provided the guest vocal, giving it a minimal makeover and re-releasing it under his own name. It worked though.

Playing With Knives by Bizarre Inc - They put out some good dance tunes as well around this time but I'm ashamed to say I don't remember this one at all - will have to look it up on YouTube.

When A Man Loves A Woman by Michael Bolton - One of those covers which leads you to ask the simple question 'why?'. The mulleted Bolton was never going to even come close to doing justice to a song that Percy Sledge had built his legend on. And he was further hampered by a weak and bland musical arrangement which heavily diluted the power of the track. A massive fail artistically, but Bolton had a loyal following within the 'ladies of a certain age' demographic and they supported it enough to propel it to number eight.
Old 26-11-2021, 10:07 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Would we ultimately have fared better in the medium term than we actually did?
Obviously, unanswerable, but I doubt it. We were desperately unlucky to go down the following season; and we came back up as champions. I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 28-11-2021, 06:38 PM

ZDS Area Qtr final

QPR 2. Bardsley. Wilkins
PALACE 3. Thomas. Gabbiadini. Young

Old 28-11-2021, 06:43 PM

Well remembered Grim Reaper

Old 28-11-2021, 06:57 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
ZDS Area Qtr final

QPR 2. Bardsley. Wilkins
PALACE 3. Thomas. Gabbiadini. Young
Ooh, I think I was one of the 4492 there. I seem to remember us being 3-0 up - Ninja scoring from close range in front of us - & us holding on at the end.
Old 28-11-2021, 08:18 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Obviously, unanswerable, but I doubt it. We were desperately unlucky to go down the following season; and we came back up as champions. I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better.
I agree in the main. But Sir Steve did tell the Palace echo that he lost focus in his final season... Maybe going at this point would have allowed him, and us to regroup etc.. That said the key was always replacing Wright and that was bodged which allowed this downward trajectory to gain steam.
Old 29-11-2021, 01:57 AM

PALACE 1. Mortimer
MAN UTD 3. Webb. McClair. Kanchelskis

Old 29-11-2021, 02:14 AM

Remember watching this standing in the Holmesdale with two mates who were United fans, trying desperately to be magnanimous but feeling sick as a pig inside.

I think what hurt was the gap that was clearly developing between the two clubs. It was only 6 months earlier, we’d thrashed them and finished above them in the league and felt it was us in the ascendency; but that wild dream that we could be a force alongside the other mighty names in English football, was fast dying on the vine.

It was obvious to all, that this Man U side were beginning to click with the emergence of an amazing young talent, and about to reclaim their crown as the best in the country within the next few seasons. Damn that Mark Hughes equaliser at Wembley 18 months earlier.

Old 29-11-2021, 11:53 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Very scary wankers that day
Old 29-11-2021, 07:55 PM

Out of interest; the season before after 18 games we were on 36pts, which would’ve had us in third in 91/92, just 3pts behind top spot.