Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 25-08-2020, 12:50 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
I loved Madden, he was my favourite player but was scratching my head as to why we let him go and why he went so far down the leagues to join Maidstone. I had no knowledge of his battered knees and in those days such information wasn't readily available.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:02 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
I loved Madden, he was my favourite player but was scratching my head as to why we let him go and why he went so far down the leagues to join Maidstone. I had no knowledge of his battered knees and in those days such information wasn't readily available.
Yes - as with Mark Dennis, a look at his career stats tells all. Well under 100 appearances in total and his spell with us saw the most games of any club with just 27. Drifted out of the game well before he turned 30. Such a shame as he was a class act.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Getting Humphrey (Charlton's best player) off them when they went down was great fun. I went to see us at QPR early on in the season and came away thinking that there wasn't much wrong with the performance that day.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:49 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Probably my favourite ever season. I'd just come back to London after a year away at college and was starting work. Saw loads of games. The football was often absolute shite, and the attendances were crap, but winning games in the top flight, and looking like we belonged, was so exciting.
Old 25-08-2020, 02:02 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
My season started before the Luton game went to a pre season friendly at Uxbridge well not actually Uxbridge because they dont play there. Arrived late for kick off which was fine as it had not kicked off as the team bus was late as well. It was a team packed with reserves and Glynn Hodges and he certainly did not look fit. Had the feeling he was being played to get some much needed match fitness. Memories are it ended in a draw though i could be wrong.
Luton living in N Herts was easy membership card and ticket. We looked ok Big Eric putting us on front. Then conceding to Dowie was not the worse nor best start. Little did I know then what the season was going to be and I suspect nor did many that day. We were certainly better than the previous season but how good was still to come.
Pembo replaced by Humphrey payment of rent from Charlton being one theroy. True Pembo gave us so much but Humphrey was a class above that defensively. With Thorn and Young we had 4 of the 5 at the back that made us so atrong.
The midfield lacked only one though Salako shone during the season so on that first day we had the central two and still trying to find the wide men. The forward line was sorted no issues. So we had the spine of a side it was width at left back and both wings. A 442 formation. We played it long because the quality out wide was missing. Hodges did not at that game like at Uxbridge did not look the answer.
Old 25-08-2020, 02:40 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I`ve pretty much got every press report from 1978 to about 2007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200825_150740.jpg (1.35 MB, 67 views)
Old 25-08-2020, 03:24 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Just to augment the memory lane vibe I'll share which singles were moving into the UK top ten each week as the season progresses.

For the week ending 25 August there were only two new entrants in the top ten:

Praying For Time by George Michael - mournful ballad which showcased his chops as a 'serious artist', not my cup of tea if I'm honest with you.

Where Are You Baby? by Betty Boo - delightful bubblegum rap / pop and the biggest hit of young Betty's career. The video had her rather snazzily dressed up in space gear for a Star Trek pastiche storyline if memory serves.
Old 25-08-2020, 03:30 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Thanks Bubbs, that actually sounds similar to the situation my father found himself in last month when he'd wandered into town for a haircut and realised he wasn't going to make it. Luckily a couple of passers by came to his aid and managed to help him home, where he deteriorated and was declared dead about an hour later after immense work from the paramedics to revive him. But I will always be grateful to that couple for taking the time to get him home to be with his wife in his final moments rather than passing away in the street.

Back on topic and I think your scrapbook entries will add some real colour to this thread. Interesting on Salako as my recollection is pretty much the same as yours. He was definitely getting frustrated at the lack of regular game time in the early part of the 89/90 season and he ended up on loan at Swansea where our former assistant Ian Evans was manager. The reports at the time were that this was with a view to a potential permanent transfer. However Ian Wright's leg break in January opened the door for him. I recall that he started up front against Southampton, scored a couple and never really looked back. He certainly played an integral part in both the FA Cup semi and final, playing a more defensive role with great tactical discipline. So it seemed all set up for him to progress in the new season, although I guess the signing of Hodges as a left sided midfielder was a threat to him, albeit that Hodges was a different sort of player and certainly not an out and out winger like Salako.
Your first paragraph is very sad.

Sorry for your loss
Old 25-08-2020, 07:06 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
If memory serves didn't Dave Madden also make a brief appearance off the bench in this Luton game? Would have been one of his final appearances in a Palace shirt too.
Dave Madden's final Palace appearance was as a sub in the FA Cup Final replay. And no colonel, the rumours about him falling out of favour with the management weren't true. Those sort of stories about players who are popular with the fans being surprisingly left out of the team are as old as the hills and have circulated at most clubs at one time or another. The problem was what had happened to his knees, not another appendage.
Old 25-08-2020, 08:50 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Thank you thank you thank you - just one of my best ever seasons as an 18 year old supporter and to have this as a running thread will be great!
I never understood why Pembo and Madden were jettisoned - Pembo could be a bit loose at the back but offered loads going forward (PVA?). Madden and Mrs Coppell was a rumour back then.
Any ITK?
You did ask....

Think it was bs but I will tell you this story. Around a couple of months before the Cup Final I was at the training ground. Would go a lot back then. Like a lot of Palace fans at the time, we were totally bemused why Coppell wasn’t picking Madden and of course the rumours were doing the rounds. Ended up having a good chat with Madden that day and told him how gutted I was and many of the fans too, that he wasn’t being picked. He was appreciative and said he was obviously gutted too and didn’t have a clue why. Just before our conversation came to an end he said with a huge grin and twinkle in his eye, ‘I mean what have I done to not be included? Shagged Coppell’s Mrs or something!’ I kind of half giggled but couldn’t believe he’d said it. I’m sure he’d heard the rumours too and was having a joke about it....or was he?

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 25-08-2020, 08:57 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Luton 1 Palace 1

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Thorn. Barber. Thomas. Salako. Wright. Hodges. Subs: Dennis (Hodges). O’Reilly.

Haven’t got Luton’s side sorry. *edit* just seen Mad Max’s report. All there

Old 25-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Just to augment the memory lane vibe I'll share which singles were moving into the UK top ten each week as the season progresses.

For the week ending 25 August there were only two new entrants in the top ten:

Praying For Time by George Michael - mournful ballad which showcased his chops as a 'serious artist', not my cup of tea if I'm honest with you.

Where Are You Baby? by Betty Boo - delightful bubblegum rap / pop and the biggest hit of young Betty's career. The video had her rather snazzily dressed up in space gear for a Star Trek pastiche storyline if memory serves.
Funny you should mention George Michael. Bit embarrassed to admit it as my musical tastes are quite divorced from the kind of Wham/George music he produced, but was a fan of his work right from the start. I had a dilemma that involved him and a certain Palace match this very season, but I’ll leave the story till the game comes up.

Old 25-08-2020, 09:19 PM
Time is running out

Billy Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is hereBilly Rhino Sam the man is here
That Luton game was the only one I didnt go to that season. We even drove to Luton but couldnt find the ground and, as we didnt have tickets anyway, drove up to Northampton and watched them instead.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:27 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great idea to celebrate and reflect on the 30th anniversary of this our most successful season.

I remember thinking we would improve going into the season and thought we might be good for top 10 but would never have guessed the run we would go on.

Luton away was one of the few games I missed that season for obvious reasons but being glad it was our first fixture as I was committed to going to the Reading music festival that weekend. Happy days.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:37 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Where was Brighty for that game?
Old 25-08-2020, 09:38 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
You did ask....

Think it was bs but I will tell you this story. Around a couple of months before the Cup Final I was at the training ground. Would go a lot back then. Like a lot of Palace fans at the time, we were totally bemused why Coppell wasn’t picking Madden and of course the rumours were doing the rounds. Ended up having a good chat with Madden that day and told him how gutted I was and many of the fans too, that he wasn’t being picked. He was appreciative and said he was obviously gutted too and didn’t have a clue why. Just before our conversation came to an end he said with a huge grin and twinkle in his eye, ‘I mean what have I done to not be included? Shagged Coppell’s Mrs or something!’ I kind of half giggled but couldn’t believe he’d said it. I’m sure he’d heard the rumours too and was having a joke about it....or was he?
Haha I can well believe he said that!
Old 25-08-2020, 09:52 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
This was my first season as a season ticket holder (block R or the Arthur next to the corrugated sheets at the side) at the age of 14. I was besotted by Palace and everything about them. My walls plastered in paper cut outs from the cup semi still and I can picture my bedroom like it was yesterday. I had a white cabin bed like children do and even that had stickers of Palace. My recollection of I wasn’t at the Luton game though but still vividly remember the opening game on my VHS season video. I will take a keen interest in this thread as I too relive my youth.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:59 PM

Likewise my first season as a season ticket holder - think that would have been the case for many, thanks to Uncle Ron's ruse of allowing people to 'jump the queue' for cup final tickets by buying a season ticket for next year at the same time. Certainly that was the only reason I purchased one, I'd have been quite happy continuing to pay my few quid at the gate every match day otherwise.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:12 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Likewise my first season as a season ticket holder - think that would have been the case for many, thanks to Uncle Ron's ruse of allowing people to 'jump the queue' for cup final tickets by buying a season ticket for next year at the same time. Certainly that was the only reason I purchased one, I'd have been quite happy continuing to pay my few quid at the gate every match day otherwise.
Yes It was my 1st season as a STH too for that reason.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:30 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Sorry to hear you news Bipe.

This was the first season I was to travel away on a regular basis as well as having a season ticket in the Arthur. I did not go to Luton though as they were unpopular due to their.membership scheme and didn't try to get in.