Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-02-2021, 05:15 PM

stumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is herestumpy feelers Sam the man is here
Just watched the season video of this last week, **** me we were a good side. I was only a kid at the time , took it for granted.
Old 20-02-2021, 09:38 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
New entries into the top ten for week ending 23 February 1991

You Got The Love by The Source featuring Candi Staton - a bona fide dance classic of the era, intrinsically linked to the hedonistic goings on up at The Hacienda in Manchester around that time. The more recent cover by Florence & The Machine was an affront to humanity, some songs are uncoverable and this is one of them in my book.

In Yer Face by 808 State - the hits kept on coming for this lot, they burned brightly for a short period. More of the same here and no harm in that.
Old 20-02-2021, 09:47 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I remember the aftermath of that Liverpool-Everton 4-4 game. Of course this was several years pre-internet, I had wandered down to the basement filing room around the middle of the day to retrieve some documents. The room was always manned by one of a handful of ne'er do wells who fitted all the stereotypes of that era - fruity language, page 3 calendar on the wall etc. They had a radio blasting out all day long. As I went in the guy on duty told me that Dalglish's resignation had just been announced. It felt like a stunning moment, Liverpool had been this impregnable machine at the summit of the English game for longer than I had known that football existed, and for the first time it seemed that the walls were being torn down. Of course there had been seasons before when they had been usurped to an extent e.g. Everton in the mid 80s, but it always felt as though that was a temporary blip and they would eventually come back stronger and better. They never panicked, there was a calmness and continuity about their affairs. But here for the first time was the manager suddenly resigning, seemingly on the back of a disappointing patch of form.

It quickly become apparent that Dalglish was haunted by the events of Hillsborough a couple of years previously and the pressure had all got too much for him. He had certainly started making some weird signings such as David Speedie and Jimmy Carter, seeming panic buys rather than in their tradition of gradually introducing fresh new faces to improve the squad over time. So for the first time in my experience you could genuinely describe Liverpool as being in something of a state of turmoil. Weird times.
Old 21-02-2021, 03:38 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
February 20th

FA CUP 5th rd replay

EVERTON 4 LIVERPOOL 4

The following day, Kenny Dalglish resigns. Quite a shock. The Liverpool dynasty was beginning to show huge cracks and would very soon be over. Some pundits credited a certain South London club 10 months before, at firing the first huge blow that knocked them off course.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
In the brief time the BSB Sports Channel existed prior to the merger with Sky, our 4-3 Semi final win must have been show more than anything else on that channel. A new channel with very little footage they could use apart from the two semis on April 8th, was perfect for any Palace-mad fan as they kept showing it or doing review shows of it. Andy Gray seemed to be eulogising over Palace in some form or other two or three times a week in the gap between semi and Final.

Doesn't surprise me to see him still bigging us up 10 months later. He certainly had my gratitude and support at that point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 23-02-2021, 10:58 AM

Still chuckling to myself after last night's glorious debacle.

On to less happy matters and on 23 February 1991 we crashed to a heavy 4-0 defeat at Highbury against the eventual champions Arsenal. As the saying goes it was a case of 'deja vu all over again' - the previous year we had played there on New Year's Day and (I think) found ourselves 4-0 down at half time before Jeff Hopkins grabbed a second half consolation. This season we turned up in good numbers again, but with more expectation of nicking some sort of result given our much improved league position. But once again we were our of the game early, if memory serves Kevin Campbell scoring a couple as the Gunners cruised to victory.

Off the pitch my overriding memory of this game was of an Arsenal supporter in the seats near the away end getting riled by the Palace fans. This guy had the look of Richard Harris with long dishevelled grey hair, he seemed to be very agitated by events on the field of play and we gave him some stick. This angered him and he gradually progressed from shaking his fist at us to a full scale melt down, ranting and raving much to the shock of the Arsenal patrons sat close to him. Eventually the stewards intervened and he was led away down the steps at the side of the stand, much to our delight. This was greeted with a legendary heckle from a Palace fan near us: "Oi Richard! Richard the Lionheart! Once more into the breach, you ****!".

The highlight of a pretty miserable day, we were absolutely outclassed by a very good Arsenal side and I'm sure Ian Wright took note.

Last edited by Bipe; 23-02-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 23-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Still chuckling to myself after last night's glorious debacle.

On to less happy matters and on 23 February 1991 we crashed to a heavy 4-0 defeat at Highbury against the eventual champions Arsenal. As the saying goes it was a case of 'deja vu all over again' - the previous year we had played there on New Year's Day and (I think) found ourselves 4-0 down at half time before Jeff Hopkins grabbed a second half consolation. This season we turned up in good numbers again, but with more expectation of nicking some sort of result given our much improved league position. But once again we were our of the game early, if memory serves Kevin Campbell scoring a couple as the Gunners cruised to victory.

Off the pitch my overriding memory of this game was of an Arsenal supporter in the seats near the away end getting riled by the Palace fans. This guy had the look of Richard Harris with long dishevelled grey hair, he seemed to be very agitated by events on the field of play and we gave him some stick. This angered him and he gradually progressed from shaking his fist at us to a full scale melt down, ranting and raving much to the shock of the Arsenal patrons sat close to him. Eventually the stewards intervened and he was led away down the steps at the side of the stand, much to our delight. This was greeted with a legendary heckle from a Palace fan near us: "Oi Richard! Richard the Lionheart! Once more into the breach, you ****!".

The highlight of a pretty miserable day, we were absolutely outclassed by a very good Arsenal side and I'm sure Ian Wright took note.
Of course, only a massive pedant would point out that it was to Henry V rather than Richard coeur de lion that Shakespeare attributed that speech

I was at the 4-0 game, too. All too predictable vs Arsenal those days. Campbell, Smith, Merson.
Old 23-02-2021, 12:48 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Well beaten that day.. This was the only game I used public transport. Finsbury Park railway station being a simple train journey from N Herts. Came home picked up car and to cap a perfect day the clutch went......such was life that day.
Old 23-02-2021, 06:08 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
ARSENAL 4. O’Leary. Merson. Smith. Campbell
PALACE 0

Att: 42,512

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Pardew Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: McGoldrick (for Barber). Osborn (not used)

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 24-02-2021, 04:49 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
So if we had beaten arse we would have gone second?
Old 24-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I do love that Blue Away kit.
Old 24-02-2021, 05:32 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
ARSENAL 4. O’Leary. Merson. Smith. Campbell
PALACE 0

Att: 42,512

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Pardew Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: McGoldrick (for Barber). Osborn (not used)

Pardew and Barber both starting didn't bode well.
Old 24-02-2021, 06:24 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Yet another miserable away day at Highbury. Little did we know we were two years away from the most miserable Highbury experience of them all.

Playing them was like playing a game or a sport against your older brother as a kid. Similar styles but they were just that bit stronger, more intelligent and talented than us. Don’t recall too much from the day actually apart from Ninja’s uncharacteristic slip up on the halfway line that led to their second.

Old 25-02-2021, 06:34 AM

A few observations about that league table:

1. After a couple of bad results we were suddenly in danger of getting sucked back towards the teams below. Leeds and the Wankers both with two games in hand and potentially within striking distance.

2. Arsenal have conceded only 12 goals in 25 games. They really were miserly under George Graham.

3. Bloody Wimbledon in 6th place

4. A battle royale developing at the foot of the table, just 3 points separating Villa in 13th from QPR in 18th. Sheffield United a further 3 points back but as previously covered in this thread, they had by now turned the corner and would eventually finish mid table. Derby starting to get cut adrift.
Old 25-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yet another miserable away day at Highbury. Little did we know we were two years away from the most miserable Highbury experience of them all.

Playing them was like playing a game or a sport against your older brother as a kid. Similar styles but they were just that bit stronger, more intelligent and talented than us. Don’t recall too much from the day actually apart from Ninja’s uncharacteristic slip up on the halfway line that led to their second.
I think their style was a bit different to ours at that stage. It was really after signing Wright that they totally became a rich man's version of our 90-91 team (both built around great keeper and centre back pairing; combative midfielders; main tactic to get it forward to Wright and his big man strike partner). And, in terms of league position, they didn't finish as high after signing Wright as we did in 90-91 for some years.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 25-02-2021, 09:20 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Killer of a day although was a landmark in the sense that I visited Sportspages on Charing Cross Road for the first time ever, on the way to the game. What a place. Every fanzine you could think all under one roof. Went there at least once a month after that and loaded up with as many fanzines as I could afford.

Old 25-02-2021, 09:23 PM

I told my dad in for two or three weeks in advance of this game that he absolutely had to put this down as a draw on the pools coupon. Never been more convinced of a result in all my life. Oops!

He claimed that he got 7 draws and that Palace one would have been the one to win a big chunk of money. I didn't live with him at this stage so I never saw the coupon but he was something of a liar so I never really believed it....but every now and again I do wonder if he was telling the truth for once and Palace cost him a million!

Old 26-02-2021, 07:24 AM

On 26 February 1991 we welcomed Luton Town to Selhurst Park for the ZDS Trophy 'Southern Semi-Final'.

The Hatters were dispatched 3-1 in front of another meagre crowd, an Ian Wright brace and a rare goal from Eddie McGoldrick doing the damage. My recollection is that this was a pretty easy win and once ahead we never looked likely to be in any trouble, although I'll await the official report from Bubbs to confirm that. In any event Wright was starting to get a taste for the competition now following his goal at Brighton in the previous round. The win put us up against Norwich in the 'Southern Final', this was to be a two-legged affair and on paper things were looking good for a return trip to Wembley less than 12 months after our FA Cup exploits. Norwich had beaten rivals Ipswich in their semi-final.

In the Northern half of the draw, Leeds had already progressed to the Northern Final a week previously after beating Manchester City. We would have to wait until 13 March to know the other Northern Finalist, when Barnsley were to play Everton - probably delayed due to Everton's involvement in some FA Cup replays. So if we did make it to the final it was looking likely that Leeds or Everton would provide the opposition, tough opponents either way.
Old 26-02-2021, 07:47 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Easy enough win without the excitement of Kelvin Morton being the ref. Which references a 4 1 I think in the same competition around this time. Where our lucky ref had one of those games sending off Lutons manager and also a player.
I knew a fair number of Luton fans plus the club doctor and their England Under 21 full bac.So these games always had a bit more interest. Unfortunatly the full back was injured so missed the game.
Old 26-02-2021, 09:42 AM

Dixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperDixie Eagle has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
I was at Arsenal too. Very disappointing that we lost more heavily than we did the season before, when we had improved so much in the meantime. I think Ian Wright only had one shot and that went out for a throw in. He certainly didn't get signed on that performance.

I do remember it kicking off a bit during the match with the standing Arsenal fans on our right. I couldn't really see properly as I wasn't close enough to the fence but it didn't stop one fella behind me leaping over a few people to get at it.
Old 26-02-2021, 06:31 PM

Zenith Data Systems Area - semi final

PALACE 3 Wright 2. McGoldrick
LUTON 1 Rees

Att: 7,170

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Gray. Young. Pardew. Salako. Thomas. Bright. Wright. McGoldrick. Subs: Barber (for McGoldrick) Thompson (unused)