Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-03-2021, 06:27 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Paul Bodin was a disaster in a Palace shirt, despite having had a decent career.

When I give momentary thought to the worst players I have seen in a Palace shirt, Bodin springs to mind, along with John Sewell and Calvin Andrew.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 06-03-2021, 06:35 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Suckling?

Suckling played his last game for Palace in 1989.
Perry Suckling played the second leg of this cup tie, and also played vs Arsenal, West Ham and Oldham in 1991/92.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM

teesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Paul Bodin was a disaster in a Palace shirt, despite having had a decent career.

When I give momentary thought to the worst players I have seen in a Palace shirt, Bodin springs to mind, along with John Sewell and Calvin Andrew.
Wayne Carlisle
Old 06-03-2021, 06:40 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
The away leg of the semi final at Norwich. As said was on TV and I gave it a miss the result set up the second leg very nicely. The other thing as our league form had taken a tumble from the earlier heights it kept the season interesting.
Bodin signing was one that I was delighted with. Richard Shaw though consitent enough at the time was the weak link in the side. Still young and went on to become a good defender for us particularly when moved to the centre.
However Bodin was another like Hodges who ultimately was a disappointment. A trend that went on over a few more signings Lee Sinott Paul Mortimer Marco Gabbadini. This was an era in Steves reign where we moved from developing talent in the transfer market to sugning established players. It to me was the weakness though at the start in Thorn Martyn Young it worked it was failing too often. What was behind that can only be speculation and I will avoid it. Look at the lesser signings at the time Coleman Thompson Collymore. One became a star for us one contributed when needed and one left but went on to a top career. But the bigger payments brought less to the team. Steve had made the point about the change the previous season after Liverpool defeat.
My view is in the end it cost us long term.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Perry Suckling played the second leg of this cup tie, and also played vs Arsenal, West Ham and Oldham in 1991/92.
Oh i stand corrected. Yes of course I remember him coming in for those games as Martyn was suspended, although I was right that he didn’t play in the Norwich 2nd leg or at all in the 90/91 season. Martyn played every game.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 06-03-2021, 07:54 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Apologies, I got out of synch with the date of this game and missed it. Must have been all the Harry and Meghan excitement over in General Chit Chat. Thanks to Bubbs for picking up the slack.

As already mentioned this was a strong performance which set us up well for the second leg, most notable for Southgate's full debut. In his favoured central defensive position although of course he ended up playing virtually all his games for us in midfield. Still makes me laugh when fans of other clubs observe that he must have been one of our best ever defenders. Anyway he played very well. I remember reading in his book with Andy Woodman that he was getting somewhat frustrated at the lack of first team opportunities by this point. He was 20 years old, had received a lengthy schooling in the youth and reserve teams, and he felt ready for the challenge. Digressing a little bit but I always find the psychology of top sportspeople fascinating, also remember some good insight into this in Mike Atherton's book when he compared his own mental fortitude to what he saw was a real weakness in his contemporary Mark Lathwell, who he regarded as a more talented player.

Interesting to note Coppell's quote about Paul Bodin "I didn't necessarily want to sign a left back" which begs the question as to why we did. As others have noted he had a good reputation as a swashbuckling full back but it never worked for him at Palace and he was soon back at Swindon, where of course he continued to perform well albeit mostly in the division below. God knows what was going on with Mark Dennis by this time but it was a sad and premature end to his career. A talented but somewhat flawed individual, he did look a good player though in the few games he did manage for us.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:10 AM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Suckling?

Incorrect - he played three league games (91/92) when Big Nige was suspended.

Edit - Ninja'd!!!!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Senior member & moaner

Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Remember the Oldham game. It was Wright's last Palace game, and he signed off with a goal, which was appropriate as his first Palace goal was also against Oldham. We got back to London in time for the early Sunday newspapers and the back page story was his move to Arsenal. All our jubilation over the win swiftly evaporated.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:14 AM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesdale99 View Post
Wayne Carlisle
Karic, full back on loan.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
We got back to London in time for the early Sunday newspapers and the back page story was his move to Arsenal. All our jubilation over the win swiftly evaporated.
I'm sure the move didn't get finalised until the Monday or Tuesday, because it was seeing the back page headline on the Evening Standard 'Graham Swoops' as I walked to Bank Station after work that confirmed it. It was one of those 'I remember where I was when...' occasions. I also remember that Arsrnal were away to (I think) Leicester in the League Cup that midweek, Wright made his debut in the game and scored.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Suckling?

Played his last game for Palace in the same game as Ian Wright.

There's a bit of trivia for you,

He covered for Nigel in a three game span when Nige was serving a three match ban for the red card v Wimbledon in August.

In that three game span Perry conceded 9 goals.

Hmmm, nine goals finishing Perry off at Palace - heard that somewhere else!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 06-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I'm sure the move didn't get finalised until the Monday or Tuesday, because it was seeing the back page headline on the Evening Standard 'Graham Swoops' as I walked to Bank Station after work that confirmed it. It was one of those 'I remember where I was when...' occasions. I also remember that Arsrnal were away to (I think) Leicester in the League Cup that midweek, Wright made his debut in the game and scored.
You are correct - the move went through very quickly compared to big deals now. The Sunday papers were the first indication a serious bid was going to be made.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:28 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Played his last game for Palace in the same game as Ian Wright.

There's a bit of trivia for you,

He covered for Nigel in a three game span when Nige was serving a three match ban for the red card v Wimbledon in August.

In that three game span Perry conceded 9 goals.

Hmmm, nine goals finishing Perry off at Palace - heard that somewhere else!
Just looked at our results in that 1991/92 season and it reminded me of what a topsy turvy time we had. On the face of it we initially recovered well from Wright's departure, taking 14 points from our next 7 games to leave us very handily placed on 27 points from 15 altogether. However the warning signs were there as we'd scored only 9 goals in those 7 compared to 16 goals in the 8 that Wright had been involved in.

Then we got tonked 5-1 at Forest and the wheels came off, picking up only 1 win in 11 as we slid down that table - and that sole win being a narrow 1-0 at home to an easily relegated Notts County. A win at Spurs stopped the rot but then we went another 6 games without a win before creditably turning things around with 15 points from our last 9 games to finish 10th (only 3 points behind Villa in 7th place). We also reached the quarter finals of the league cup where we lost to Forest again, inevitably after a replay. We had also been taken to two replays by Birmingham earlier in the competition.

It became known as the 'season of boredom', the results suggest anything but, however the football was in truth pretty turgid after Wright and then Gray jumped ship. I suspect these days most of us would bite your arm off for a season like that compared to the current campaign though.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Just looked at our results in that 1991/92 season and it reminded me of what a topsy turvy time we had. On the face of it we initially recovered well from Wright's departure, taking 14 points from our next 7 games to leave us very handily placed on 27 points from 15 altogether. However the warning signs were there as we'd scored only 9 goals in those 7 compared to 16 goals in the 8 that Wright had been involved in.

Then we got tonked 5-1 at Forest and the wheels came off, picking up only 1 win in 11 as we slid down that table - and that sole win being a narrow 1-0 at home to an easily relegated Notts County. A win at Spurs stopped the rot but then we went another 6 games without a win before creditably turning things around with 15 points from our last 9 games to finish 10th (only 3 points behind Villa in 7th place). We also reached the quarter finals of the league cup where we lost to Forest again, inevitably after a replay. We had also been taken to two replays by Birmingham earlier in the competition.

It became known as the 'season of boredom', the results suggest anything but, however the football was in truth pretty turgid after Wright and then Gray jumped ship. I suspect these days most of us would bite your arm off for a season like that compared to the current campaign though.
IIRC Mark Bright had a long run of scoring in successive games, then on a run of not scoring for about twice the number.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
IIRC Mark Bright had a long run of scoring in successive games, then on a run of not scoring for about twice the number.
Yes. The Wikipedia data on cup game goalscorers in that season is for some reason incomplete but I think he scored in something like 9 games in a row through September / October, then went on a massive barren run. Ended the season with 22 goals from 54 games which was an excellent haul.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I'm still sure Suckling played the ZDS Second Leg.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:10 AM
Senior member & moaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Yes. The Wikipedia data on cup game goalscorers in that season is for some reason incomplete but I think he scored in something like 9 games in a row through September / October, then went on a massive barren run. Ended the season with 22 goals from 54 games which was an excellent haul.
How much would be spend in order to buy that haul today? £80m? £100m? (Well, we obviously wouldn't pay that...)

Old 06-03-2021, 12:04 PM

November85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNovember85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post

Neil Ruddock.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:38 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
From memory that happened a few times with Brighty. On those baron runs he seemed almost awful in front of goal but then bang, he gets one in and the floodgates would open.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I'm still sure Suckling played the ZDS Second Leg.
Definitely Martyn, Latvian.

Checked the report from the game and Martyn is in there. Will post up when game arrives of course.